Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texts, Contexts, Cultures integrated PhD

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

This yoke: http://www.textscontextscultures.ie/

Anyone on this at the moment or know anyone who is?

(Will be talking to course coordinators as well, just want to get some word-of-mouth opinions now.) :)

Things I'm curious about:
    - how does the 'new technologies' thing actually work out?
    - to what extent is it multi-institutional - just for a couple of option courses in the first year?
    - how does the research part of it work out - do you need to have a decent idea of what you want to concentrate in before you start?

(cross-posted to TCD forum)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'm involved in the programme this year, sort of.

New technologies basically involves a conference video call between the universities (although this year there is no one in cork). Its only for one or two modules so its only a few hours a week. If you are in Galway and its Nicholas' module then he lectures directly and everyone else gets it on the video call.

It would be a very good idea to have a research topic worked out in advance, especially because you will have to find your own research money unlike the first year the course was set up. Have you done a masters yet? I guess it would be technically possible to start the course without a topic, treat it as a lead in masters year (without the parchment at the end of it), and try to work on a topic in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Thanks for answering. :)
    It would be a very good idea to have a research topic worked out in advance, especially because you will have to find your own research money unlike the first year the course was set up. Have you done a masters yet? I guess it would be technically possible to start the course without a topic, treat it as a lead in masters year (without the parchment at the end of it), and try to work on a topic in the meantime.

Did most of the people on the programme come in with a masters? At TCD it's something people have been applying to immediately after their BA, and part of the appeal is the idea of getting to be already in a programme while putting together stuff for a PhD as opposed to researching/writing a masters' thesis while also coming up with a PhD proposal. That 'technically possible' sounds like it might have an invisible 'but you'd be mad to do it that way!' at the end... ;)

I'm fairly sure the majority of our group of six have masters. Obviously its not necessary but you need to have a tangible research topic and be able to knock up a proposal by January (assuming you apply for a fellowship this year). I can't imagine having a research topic ready at the end of my degree, nor being able for the amount of work that will come in the first year of the programme. I am glad I did a masters and I learned a lot from it, plus my research topic is a result of my masters dissertation. But obviously its up to you, talk to the main guy in TCD about it (I forget his name) and see what he thinks.

I'm fairly sure the majority of our group of six have masters. Obviously its not necessary but you need to have a tangible research topic and be able to knock up a proposal by January (assuming you apply for a fellowship this year).

Cool, that's good to know. Thanks again. :)

No problem. btw I was told that the majority of people who receive an IRCHSS fellowship are already in their programme, so I don't know how likely you will be to be successful in your application. I'm not saying not to do it of course, just letting you know that its a hard thing to get. The success rate in recent years has been about 1 in 4, that might change this year. Make sure to look into what fellowships trinity have on offer, talk to the head of TCC up there, start thinking about a topic and set up a meeting with a possible supervisor to get their imput.

• Advertisement

No problem. btw I was told that the majority of people who receive an IRCHSS fellowship are already in their programme, so I don't know how likely you will be to be successful in your application. I'm not saying not to do it of course, just letting you know that its a hard thing to get.

Funding as opposed to actually getting in to the programme, do you mean?

Not 100% sure what you mean, but its easy to get on the TCC programme, much harder to get a fellowship.

Not 100% sure what you mean, but its easy to get on the TCC programme, much harder to get a fellowship.

That was pretty much what I wanted to know, thanks. :) I wouldn't have been assuming that funding would have been at all easy.

Advertisement