Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting a metal water tank in attic

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

I've been clearing out my mother in law's attic in preparation for insulation. Attic will be covered in 250mm insulation.

Problem I have is an old metal water tank that was replaced with a plastic tank is still up there and too big to fit through the access hole. I have an angle grinder but that will create sparks and probably set the place alight. What other options have I got? I'm not planning to spend a weekend trying to cut with a handsaw. I've done some searching and seen a tool called a nibbler. That may do the job, just want some more opinions before I get stuck in this weekend...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

a_ominous wrote: »
    I've been clearing out my mother in law's attic in preparation for insulation. Attic will be covered in 250mm insulation.

Problem I have is an old metal water tank that was replaced with a plastic tank is still up there and too big to fit through the access hole. I have an angle grinder but that will create sparks and probably set the place alight. What other options have I got? I'm not planning to spend a weekend trying to cut with a handsaw. I've done some searching and seen a tool called a nibbler. That may do the job, just want some more opinions before I get stuck in this weekend...

I have the same problem myself. Don't go near it with the angle grinder. A jig saw with a metal bit would be the best bet.

A few years ago i cut up a very large heating oil tank with a jig saw, it was heavy gauge steel so was slow but worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

reciprocating saw would be faster, cheapies available in b and q

possibly lidl or aldi.

A good blade is worth the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Im sure you could just hire one for the few hours. I've used Bosch and Hilti ones, and they take some abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I've used a jigsaw with blade for cutting metal twice.. not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Hire a decent reciprocating saw and get some good blades. don't waste your money buying a cheap saw ,good blades are over a fiver each.

• Advertisement
Advertisement