Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Highest scoring match in history!!!!!

• 23-11-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

After yesterdays 9-1 thrashing of wigan by spurs i started wondering what the highest scoring match ever was thought i'd make a game of it, put an answer down before checking the spoiler for the answer;)

this is in all compettitions and leagues by the way.
    149 - 0. AS Adema defeated Stade Olymique L'Emyrne (SOE) 149-0 in 2002 scoring an own goal every 40 seconds in protest of some bad refereeing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm guessing Australlia vrs some random island in the Asia qualifiers.

probably wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

AS Adema defeating Stade Olymique L'Emyrne (SOE) 149-0 in 2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AS Adema defeating Stade Olymique L'Emyrne (SOE) 149-0 in 2002
    Wow, you can read spoilers. well done!

How very cynical. I'm a complete luddite so I don't know even know how to read a spoiler. Secondly I find it laughable that someone calls foul if a person knows something. Typical Irish begrudgery. Why should anyone bother answering for fear of being lambasted? Maybe I should have given a wrong answer to keep you happy...doh.

And lastly-I was asked that question TWICE in table quizzes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

How very cynical. I'm a complete luddite so I don't know even know how to read a spoiler. Secondly I find it laughable that someone calls foul if a person knows something. Typical Irish begrudgery. Why should anyone bother answering for fear of being lambasted? Maybe I should have given a wrong answer to keep you happy...doh.

Calm down dear, tis only a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

when you wrote the answer, did you put in the brackets and SOE?

The second time yes. We didn't get it right the first time. And just for the record-how do you read a spoiler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sincerest apologies if I was wrong. From my point of view though you spelt it identical (including the brackets) as what was in the spoiler.

To read a spoiler left click and drag your mouse across it

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sincerest apologies if I was wrong. From my point of view though you spelt it identical (including the brackets) as what was in the spoiler.

To read a spoiler left click and drag your mouse across it

Haha simple. Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The second time yes. We didn't get it right the first time. And just for the record-how do you read a spoiler?
    "We"? Are you Gollum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I always thought it was the Arbroath 36, Shotts Bon-Accord 0 match from the late 1800's.

Checked Wiki, seems it's the highest score in a professional match.

The Adema/SOE match was a senior match, but apparently not professional.
    (not very professional scoring own goals anyway!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbroath_36%E2%80%930_Bon_Accord

BaZmO* wrote: »
    "We"? Are you Gollum?

Doh again. We were a table quiz team. As you do in table quizzes you know. 4 of us. Do you take part in table quizzes on your own?

big b wrote: »
    I always thought it was the Arbroath 36, Shotts Bon-Accord 0 match from the late 1800's.

When we were asked this question at a quiz we actually answered Australia 31 Samoa 0. Everyone went mental when they heard the answer cos these teams in the 149-0 win aren't fully professional I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wow, you can read spoilers. well done!

Best part is the identical mis-spelling Olympique ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Doh again. We were a table quiz team. As you do in table quizzes you know. 4 of us. Do you take part in table quizzes on your own?

I do - all the inevitable quiz glory is mine then (dyswidt)

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Best part is the identical mis-spelling Olympique ;)
    Yeah, isn't that how teachers catch cheats in exams. It's not the correct answer that gets you caught, it's the identical mistakes.

Yeah, isn't that how teachers catch cheats in exams. It's not the correct answer that gets you caught, it's the identical mistakes.

Wow. This is just hilarious. Well my conscious is clear anyways. You can keep dissecting my answer all you like. Wednesday night really messed a lot of people up. The paranoia over cheating has reached fever pitch. LOL

Wow. This is just hilarious. Well my conscious is clear anyways. You can keep dissecting my answer all you like. Wednesday night really messed a lot of people up. The paranoia over cheating has reached fever pitch. LOL
    Ya got busted! Just accept it and take it like a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

phony.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

that result form the spoiler shouldnt count as the highest scoring game in history as one of the teams scored all these own goals in protest. the real highest scoring game should be whatever the highest scoring game was between two teams that are both at least trying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

In that case it would probably be the time Australia beat Samoa 31-0:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

curry-muff wrote: »

ya i still cant believe oz goit a federation change to make it easier for them to qualify for the world cup!! what a joke, especially in the context of what ireland have to endure to try to make it. should we ask for a change to north america federation or something?? we always have at least one of the worlds soccer superpowers in our group. oz had to beat the 5th placed team in south america over two legs to go to the world cup but that was too hard spo they got a federation change

mormank wrote: »
    ya i still cant believe oz goit a federation change to make it easier for them to qualify for the world cup!! what a joke, especially in the context of what ireland have to endure to try to make it. should we ask for a change to north america federation or something?? we always have at least one of the worlds soccer superpowers in our group. oz had to beat the 5th placed team in south america over two legs to go to the world cup but that was too hard spo they got a federation change
    Maybe we should declare ourselves as a separate continent? Irelandasia? Afterall we not connected to mainland Europe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Maybe we should declare ourselves as a separate continent? Irelandasia? Afterall we not connected to mainland Europe/

Shotgun President :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ireland is in the Ocean, right? And there's now a free spot in Oceania. Just got to beat the All-Whites a couple of times every four years and we're laughing.

Ireland is in the Ocean, right? And there's now a free spot in Oceania. Just got to beat the All-Whites a couple of times every four years and we're laughing.

we'd probably draw and hope other results go our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

we'd probably draw and hope other results go our way.

Lose out on goal difference.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

curry-muff wrote: »

Currymuff, your marks for paying attention - nil.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Currymuff, your marks for paying attention - nil.:rolleyes:

Oh lets just grab a quick youtube of the 1800's scottish cup match....oh wait

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    Oh lets just grab a quick youtube of the 1800's scottish cup match....oh wait

pish - football existed before YouTube!:rolleyes: I think it started around 1992 or 1993...
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The weird thing about that 36 - nil game in the Scottish Cup was that on the same day, in the same competition, Dundee Harp beat Aberdeen Rovers 35-nil.

Imagine how cheesed off you would be if you thought you had set a World Record only for some chancers up the road to take the glory. Bah.

SkidMark wrote: »
    The weird thing about that 36 - nil game in the Scottish Cup was that on the same day, in the same competition, Dundee Harp beat Aberdeen Rovers 35-nil.

Imagine how cheesed off you would be if you thought you had set a World Record only for some chancers up the road to take the glory. Bah.

It's much worse than that!

The ref of the Dundee game had the score at 37 -0, but when the Aberdeen Rovers manager queried it cos he thought it was (only :D) 35, the ref relented as he wasn't too sure, and recorded the game as 35 -0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

my football team won a match 21-0 once !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

When we were asked this question at a quiz we actually answered Australia 31 Samoa 0. Everyone went mental when they heard the answer cos these teams in the 149-0 win aren't fully professional I don't think.
    Are Samoa professional though? Wouldnt' have thought so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Premiership record is still 9-0 isnt it?? United v Ipswich if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The Premiership record is still 9-0 isnt it?? United v Ipswich if I recall correctly.

The highest winning margin it is,

The highest scoring game in the Premiership was when Portsmouth beat Reading 7-4 in 07.

Advertisement