Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did CorkCoCo.ie go??

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I dunno has this been mentioned already, but did anyone else notice that while the county hall was closed off because of the flooding, so too was the countys official point of contact for information www.corkcoco.ie ....which is only just back today after days of being down (Have a look at the main content, not even updated to mention recent events).

This being Ireland of the technology age, and the knowledge economy and all that, doesn't it seem ludicrous that there was no backup hosting/information distribution plan for what should have been the main source of 'county' information about the recent flooding. Aren't we all lucky we had Boards.ie and AARoadwatch.ie to keep us informed. Between the City Councils slow dribble of useless info for most of the flooding, to the County Councils vanishing act, a complete fail for our "Local Public Representatives" !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

The cork county council, has their server in the basement of the county hall which was flooded last week so hence why the web site is down. This is Ireland there is no such thing as a back up plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

thought the same........a lot of companies have servers/ storage in the basement! Great disaster planning!

did ya see the new library in the county hall on rte news just now, distroyed so it was, I can imagine what the staff canteen, and main entrance to the county hall is like. No work there this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

did ya see the new library in the county hall on rte news just now, distroyed so it was, I can imagine what the staff canteen, and main entrance to the county hall is like. No work there this week.
    Thats terrible - how stupid to put it on the ground floor when it is so near the lee fields. I hope the archives werent destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

The cork county council, has their server in the basement of the county hall which was flooded last week so hence why the web site is down. This is Ireland there is no such thing as a back up plan.

Yes, thats my point, where was the backup server, the offsite data archive, and more to the point, its back up all day now and still isn't updated to give ANY information about flood damage, road closures etc around the county. Its embarrassing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Not as stupid as the underground/water car park in the Kingsley hotel.Whay genius built that?

fastrac wrote: »
    Not as stupid as the underground/water car park in the Kingsley hotel.Whay genius built that?

Well thats City territory so at least the County Hall planning department can't take the blame for approving that one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Yes, thats my point, where was the backup server, the offsite data archive, and more to the point, its back up all day now and still isn't updated to give ANY information about flood damage, road closures etc around the county. Its embarrassing....

There are 2 companies providing Service Continuity services in and around the city area - sadly one of them is (or was) located on Centre Park Rd which is particularly notorious for flooding!! There may now be a 3rd in the city area but I think they just do consultancy.

Its very hard to get suitable services in the city, they are few and far between and expensive. One of my responsibilities is business continuity and its a right royal headache.

We're talking IT services here though, physical proximity is not the be all and end all............one maintains a regular backup remotely allowing one to rebuild and relaunch your website from a new remote location within hours potentially, in the business world a company wouldn't allow itself vanish for days when the demand for its service might be at a peak, only a public service can get away with that behaviour.

The web site is now up and running

• Advertisement

The web site is now up and running

The website was back up when I started this thread, I believe I made that clear..??

Advertisement