Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our poor Mardyke?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:30pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭

The place is ruined.

What ever are we going to do???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Pi^2 wrote: »
    The place is ruined.

are there any other gyms around? maybe we'll be allowed to use those....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

pearliefan wrote: »
    are there any other gyms around? maybe we'll be allowed to use those....

I was thinking that might be the case,But chances are the other gym will want money,Which the mardyke/ucc will be spending on repairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Firstly, I'm not in UCC anymore, and the gym looks bad. However, there are the studios upstairs which will be untouched by water, not a major consolation for teams, but it will allow some form of training to keep going. As for the weights room downstairs, lets be thankful thats all that was down there. The weights, benches and even the machines can be washed down and will be able to remain in use. Be thankful that the treadmills and exercise bikes were upstairs.

As for the pool, well, its going to be fun to clean, but isn't going to be in too bad shape.

Bar the wooden floor in the main hall, the Mardyke will probably be back up and running next week, although it will take a lot of effort from the staff to get it there, it is doable.

Cheer up lads and look on the bright side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

A good school friend of mine who works in the Mardyke said it'll be about a month to repair. He did say this last Friday night though. I don't have an update on that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Bar the wooden floor in the main hall, the Mardyke will probably be back up and running next week, although it will take a lot of effort from the staff to get it there, it is doable.

Cheer up lads and look on the bright side smile.gif

I wish it were that easy. What if they have to tear up the flooring in the gym itself? They'd have to move all the equipment. What about power, the whole place might have to be re-wired.

There's no way its opening this side of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

odin_ie wrote: »
    Firstly, I'm not in UCC anymore, and the gym looks bad. However, there are the studios upstairs which will be untouched by water, not a major consolation for teams, but it will allow some form of training to keep going. As for the weights room downstairs, lets be thankful thats all that was down there. The weights, benches and even the machines can be washed down and will be able to remain in use. Be thankful that the treadmills and exercise bikes were upstairs.

As for the pool, well, its going to be fun to clean, but isn't going to be in too bad shape.

Cheer up lads and look on the bright side :)

Every machine in the weights room was had a fitlinxx monitor and was all wired in,There was one kind of reader on each unit as well,Right near the ground which will have to be replaced..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

all the swans are floatin round the place... they'll be liftin weights with the polish, the polish will sell em steroids so they'll get huge... then they'll eat them!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Larkin91 wrote: »
    A good school friend of mine who works in the Mardyke said it'll be about a month to repair. He did say this last Friday night though. I don't have an update on that.

Guy I know who works there said that to me on Sunday, when they got in there. It will be a month before it reopens. The floor will take a while to sort between two and three months to re-lay and sort. It'll have to be torn up, plus underneath it and relayed. Pool will have to be emptied, cleaned thoroughly and refilled :( Staff were actually stuck in the Mardyke Thursday night, so I'm presuming they were trying to save some of the equipment?

I posted some figures about the extensions and cost of the buildings

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63124919&postcount=182

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Pi^2 wrote: »
    The place is ruined.

I'm devestated - nearly cried when I saw the hall! I'm a PE student, one third of my time is in the Mardyke, plus I've been in the gym five times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jrky

this is incredibly painful for us, the fitness people.

I hope they solve this fast, any volunteers needed?

• Advertisement

Estimate is now between three and six months - one of the guys I know working there sent me this message

Was down in d Mardyke today......absolutely destroyed inside- could be anywhere between 3-6 months before reopening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy

Got an email from Megan Morris - clubs exec president today
    Captains,

I know everyone is anxious to find out what's going to be happening with the Mardyke, but we'd just ask for your patience, everyone involved is working hard to come up with solutions for the near future. But for now this is what the Department of Sport and Rec would like the clubs to know:

1. The Mardyke Arena is closed until further notice.

2. The Marydke Sports Grounds (including GAA, Rugby, Athletics and Hockey Pitch) are closed for the week of November 23-29th, and an expected date of re-opening will hopefully become clear by the end of this week. There will be no home fixtures scheduled for the Mardyke Sports Grounds for the weekend of 28-29 November.

3. There is no access to club lockers in the Mardyke Arena until the building has been declared safe by Arena management. Clubs will be notified of the procedures involving access, inventory and re-location of gear in further announcements by our office.

Regards,

Pat

Thanks and we'll contact everyone when we know more.

Megan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Bloody hell, looks like ill have to train in cit gym again.

Will there be an alternative place for people to use or is it tough luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Esse85 wrote: »
    Will there be an alternative place for people to use or is it tough luck?

Id say its gonna be to tough luck more than likely. I dont think any gym in the city would provide free of charge services for the numbers that are in UCC and i dont think UCC itself has the money to pay for the use of other gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What a shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy

We're looking at different community centres as an alternative until it's open again. Probably have to pay a few euro per class but that's no big deal. Only thing is we need mats..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

The pictures on facebook are really small and hard to make out in places. Mardyke doesnt look the healthiest though :(

The pictures on facebook are really small and hard to make out in places. Mardyke doesnt look the healthiest though :(

If you don't click into them, its a bit easier to see them, just look at the album.

I'm actually devestated, gutted about the Mardyke!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

If you don't click into them, its a bit easier to see them, just look at the album.

I'm actually devestated, gutted about the Mardyke!!!

Yeah it realy is a shame as it was such a good complex and it was handy that it was so close to UCC itself

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Wow the pics on their facebook are unreal. Pity they are tiny though can't see anything. Hopefully they'll be back up running soon.

we've been relocated to Ballincollig for our practical stuff - all the years. Not happy but can't do anything about it

Update on UCC in general

http://www.ucc.ie/en/media/Report-on-Major-Flood-Damage.pdf

Damage:
    • The Arena building, pitches, pavilions, etc. were completely flooded to c. 4ft. There is significant damage to the Mardyke Arena sports hall (floor lifted), the pool, fitness suite, reception area etc
    • Track, all weather pitch and changing rooms damaged
    • 6,000m2 affected

Current Status:
    • Insurers to visit site tomorrow (wed)
    • Emergency meeting of Board organised
    • Significant and costly recovery operation required
    • Building closed for extended period

I dont like to speculate but would it be safe to say we're looking at the new year before we can use the maradyke again?

Esse85 wrote: »
    I dont like to speculate but would it be safe to say we're looking at the new year before we can use the maradyke again?

Yeah. Piece from the Echo today about it

Mardyke damage could run to millions
    Millions of euro woth of flood damage has been caused to the UCC Mardyke Arena sports complex - home to a variety of clubs attached to the Cork university

The Mardyke arena itself was severly flooded and outdorrs there was considerable damage done to the all-weather playing surface, the prunty (rugby?) pitch in front of the old stand and to the GAA and hockey pitches.

Clubs such as the UCC soccer, rugby, hockey, GAA and swimming teams have all been affected by the severe flooding and Cork's Blue Demons basketball team, last year's treble champions, are homeless to due to the water damage to the gym's pine flooring

UCC spokesperson Christine O Donovan of the Physical Education Department said the estimated damaged will run into millions of euro and the damage was currently being assessed by a team of experts

"it's a scene of total devestation here at the Mardyke. We don't know where to start to be honest and all 54 clubs attached to the university have been badly hit" she added.

"The flood waters came up from below and in from the sides and the place is ruined"

"it will be months before some of the clubs can get back in to play here and we are trying to get them alternative venues for them at this stage"

"The floor of the gym has lifted, shifted and buckled and it's the same story with the all-weather and the running track. The damage will cost millions to put right" she said.

that report was on pg 59 of the paper - turn to pg 56, column about how the UCC Olympic handball team are holding a tournament on the 5th December in the Mardyke hall:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Handballers are sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DUDE!

Its really bad whats happened.. And i was signed up to do a lifeguarding course:(:( But the disgusting bit ye all dont want to know is that the water in the pool wont be emptied, it will just be "cleaned" with more chemicals and filters!.. The same happened to brookfield..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Why claim an ability to save lives when they can't even save the bloody pool. :(

DUDE! wrote: »
    Its really bad whats happened.. And i was signed up to do a lifeguarding course:(:( But the disgusting bit ye all dont want to know is that the water in the pool wont be emptied, it will just be "cleaned" with more chemicals and filters!.. The same happened to brookfield..

Have you seen the water in the pool?? http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=3025447&id=184814333051

The guy I spoke to who works there, swim teacher said they'll be emptying and refilling the pool. Imagine all the kids that signed up for classes, as well as those who signed up to do the teaching over three weekends!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

DUDE! wrote: »

Damn, and I've never even been in the pool in Bookfield. :(

Sucks, UCC: So much to do, so little time.

Advertisement