Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our poor Mardyke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

DUDE! wrote: »
    Its really bad whats happened.. And i was signed up to do a lifeguarding course:(:( But the disgusting bit ye all dont want to know is that the water in the pool wont be emptied, it will just be "cleaned" with more chemicals and filters!.. The same happened to brookfield..

That's a joke,Cause it's contaminated water it'll have to be emptied,cleaned and re-filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DUDE!

Well I hope they put in new water but like Brookfield was the same,completely green too and loads of grime on the walls and the pool engineer instructed just to use the water hoovers and add more chlorine and other chemicals..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Well I hope they put in new water but like Brookfield was the same,completely green too and loads of grime on the walls and the pool engineer instructed just to use the water hoovers and add more chlorine and other chemicals..

I was down there 20 mins ago - the pool is empty, except for a small amount of water at the end and they were hosing down the floor when I was there. Floor was covered in muck!

Spoke to a guy there who said they'll have to change all the filter, and that will take some time - and then leave the new way filtrate for a couple of weeks before leaving anyone in. The lifeguard chairs etc are all being dumped

the hall:(:( - if could put a simile that was crying I would. They started taking it up at 8 am this morning, and they don't have half it up yet. Using chainsaws and a mini digger to rip it up - seriously, the pictures that are on the internet do not do the damage justice.

I've a load of photos of the place, but I've no connection for my phone with me to upload them - I'll do it when I get home this evening.

Guy who runs Nosh & Coffee said it will be Jan before they are operating again.

Forgot how damn slow the computers in the library can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Its really bad whats happened.. And i was signed up to do a lifeguarding course:(:( But the disgusting bit ye all dont want to know is that the water in the pool wont be emptied, it will just be "cleaned" with more chemicals and filters!.. The same happened to brookfield..

Don't know where that news about the pool came from it's empty now.

Have pics online here http://www.flickr.com/photos/williamdeasy/sets/72157622874871714/

4134026804_1e06e0edbd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Its all about the building and every bodies training and leisure but come Friday most of the staff wont have a job unlike all other U.C.C.workers affected by the floods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rocksock2

I would like to put an end to the speculation regarding the Mardyke Arena. People who have been posting on this thread have incorrect and unreliable information. Please respect the current situation regarding staff and operations in the Mardyke Arena. It is understandable people are concerned about the re-commencement of activities in the Arena. The Mardyke Arena WILL re-open but when and ONLY WHEN we can operate the facility to the highest Health and Safety standards.

Updates will be posted on a regular basis on our webiste and a Freephone customer care number will be set up within the next 2 days. Please go online or pick up the phone and dial for free if you want reliable, up to date and non-speculative answers to your queries regarding the Mardyke Arena.

check out www.mardykearena.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shareef

it's such a shame about the mardyke...i think it was a superb facility for all its members, and those that appreciated it, really got their use out of it!

i really hope they update us on the situation as soon as possible! at least alot of the electrical gym equipment is upstairs and the workout studio is fine still!

as for the staff...well no one knows what is happening there...i have sympathy for them because they are human, but a little part of me is somewhat indifferent to some of them...i think the reception staff have tried the patience of the best of us and seemed to have wrongfully taken their jobs for granted...still though, this is too steep a lesson!

has the track really been lifted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

Is it true that it was an inside job?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Track was alrite from the bits I looked at - a lot of leaves and stuff like that on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 137 ✭✭Pi^2

Is it true that it was an inside job?

Of course it was. Water alone cannot do that sort of damage.

• Advertisement

Water and weapons of mass destruction apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

rocksock2 wrote: »
    The Mardyke Arena WILL re-open but when and ONLY WHEN we can operate the facility to the highest Health and Safety standards.

I'll not hold my breath then. I've not been in recently, but the cleaning regime in the pool changing areas and especially the shower areas left much to be desired. Used to be, soon as you opened the swing doors from reception into the changing area, you'd be hit by the most awful smell. This was a constant for most of the last three+ years. Hopefully, its been corrected, or will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

anyone heard any dates thrown around?
    The main rumour im hearing at the mo is it wont be open again till next september,but if thats the case I cant imagine them refunding the entire college there gym reg fee?
    Hope they let us know soon cos I'd most people will join another gym if they dont open it this academic year.

anyone heard any dates thrown around?
    The main rumour im hearing at the mo is it wont be open again till next september,but if thats the case I cant imagine them refunding the entire college there gym reg fee?
    Hope they let us know soon cos I'd most people will join another gym if they dont open it this academic year.

I heard January off the guy who runs Nosh and Coffee, a couple of months off another person - they are yet to post the Q&A section on their website, even though it was supposed to be posted yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

yesterday i was talking to someone on the hotline provided and they said that letters were being sent out either today or tomorrow and that deals were being cut for reduced membership.i went to go into the locker room this evening and they told me that they are offering a 50euro per month offer to maradyke members,however it seem that 46
    euro a month is on offer for studnets per month there already so i don't know what's going on there.i'm majorly pissed off tho,i don't have the money at the moment to be handing out money for gyms!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

How you mean 46e a month for students? as in non UCC students?
    I get what your saying though, there is a real need for a gym for students and expecially in these times we shouldnt have to pay through the nose for it especially when we already payed for mardyke membership in our reg fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Guys

I don't know any more than anyone else, but I do know a few things about fit-outs. The building must be insured, therefore I see no reason why the insurance company/UCC wouldn't give the go ahead to start fitting out the place again. No sense in delaying UCC's revenue stream.
    If contractors are on-site, then I'd imagine the job thats been started
    will be completed. Unless there's serious structural damage, the fit-out
    shouldn't take more than a couple of months. My ten cents worth :)

Max

Max001 wrote: »
    Guys

I don't know any more than anyone else, but I do know a few things about fit-outs. The building must be insured, therefore I see no reason why the insurance company/UCC wouldn't give the go ahead to start fitting out the place again. No sense in delaying UCC's revenue stream.
    If contractors are on-site, then I'd imagine the job thats been started
    will be completed. Unless there's serious structural damage, the fit-out
    shouldn't take more than a couple of months. My ten cents worth :)

Max

Construction company are on site about a week now - last Wed they began ripping up the hall floor, tiles have to be replaced, they had the pool empty, and were hosing the place down. I'd say the fitting has def. started. I can't afford to pay for gym membership anywhere - plus the Mardyke would lose a huge amount if they cannot open any part of it after Jan, a traditional month of high numbers of people joining gyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Its a disaster, wonder what most people are doing??

My fees are almost €5k for the year, i certainly cannot afford to pay for gym membership some place else.

NO way it would be Septmeber. They're not rebuilding the entire site from scratch.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if the Mardyke was affected by the flooding?

I heard that the Glucksman is pretty bad, so I'm hoping that the water did'nt get to the Mardyke too.

Thanks

Nova_era wrote: »

I heard that the Glucksman is pretty bad, so I'm hoping that the water did'nt get to the Mardyke too.

Thanks

Mm...... Did you read the thread at all? There's pics and all like!

center15 wrote: »
    Mm...... Did you read the thread at all? There's pics and all like!

Oh damn, what was I thinking!! I'll check now, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Nova_era wrote: »

Thanks
    I taught this was a p1ss take

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

As U.C.C. students are you not already after paying membership as part of your fees and entitled to use an alternative gym provided by the P.E. Dept who have your money.Surely this is what is being done for the clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Most of the clubs have been sorted I think. I really don't think that the place will still be shut come January.

As an aside, I can't believe the amount of people who are showing up outside the gates and look surprised/annoyed that the place is closed. Do people not read the paper/internet/email at all? Some poor soul asked me last night what happened....wearing a Pharm 2011 hoody.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Most of the clubs have been sorted I think. I really don't think that the place will still be shut come January.

As an aside, I can't believe the amount of people who are showing up outside the gates and look surprised/annoyed that the place is closed. Do people not read the paper/internet/email at all? Some poor soul asked me last night what happened....wearing a Pharm 2011 hoody.

People don't - they seem to forget what has happened, and that Cork was flooded. I very nearly went down there out of pure habit!

You see the business etc back, and people presume that the place is back again. As well as that, they only really mentioned the Mardyke in passing, whereas the Glucksman got more press coverage because of artwork.

Just some info of the Mardyke site, posted today

Information for members/patrons

2nd December 2009

Last Updated Wednesday December 2nd 2009
    We are currently in the process of contacting members/patrons directly in order to provide information as to the various options we can offer while the facility is closed for flood damage repairs. Many of you will be receiving a letter/e-mail/phone call over the next few days to elaborate on these options and ask you to choose which option would be most suitable for you.
    Please be assured that we will accomodate you in any way that we can during the closure.
    For those user groups for whom we do not have contact details - we would ask you to keep checking this website and we will post information here for you.
    Our freephone number 1800 28 30 35 (Mon-Fri 9.00am - 5.00pm) is fully operational and has been very busy over the past few days. A large number of callers have requested that their memberships be extended for a period equal to the duration of the closure and we have put a process in place to accomodate these requests with minimal inconvenience to those choosing this option.
    We have also secured a number of short-term memberships with other leisure facilities if members wish to avail of this option. Details will be provided in the direct communication which is currently going out to members.
    An option for usage of alternate leisure facilities for UCC students during the Arena closure has also been been put in place. Details of the proposed service will be posted here and advertised via UCC Student Union as soon as confirmed.
    Sincere thanks to all callers who have very kindly expressed your support and good wishes.
    Facility Closure Update

At the moment we have contractors on site who have already commenced repair works to the ground floor but we are still waiting on a full report on the extent of damage and an anticipated re-opening date. As soon as this information is made available to us we will post details on this website and publish in the local media.

Swim Lessons Update

We are currently in the process of contacting all swim lesson patrons regarding the postponement of the November adult and children's course of lessons. Parents of children who booked into the November course of lessons will receive a letter over the next few days informing them of the postponement of courses. Any fee paid for November course of lessons will be automatically transferred to the next course of lessons. Parents who did not enrol for the November course of lessons but would like to commence the next course are advised to keep an eye on our website for details when enrolment will re-open again. Please note children cannot enrol in the next course until resumption of normal business in the Mardyke Arena.
    Adults who enrolled in the October course of lessons will automatically be transferred over to the next term of lessons. Staff will make contact with those who enrolled in the October course over the next few days informing them of this.
    We advise our swim lesson patrons to keep an eye on our website for further updates.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Alternative Arrangements for Mardyke Arena Users.

The Mardyke Arena UCC are running a "Sport and Leisure on Wheels" service for UCC students during the closure of the Arena for flood damage repairs.

The service started today.

A coach service will be in operation taking students from a pick-up point at the Rugby Pavillion (See Map at link below) to either Leisureworld in Bishopstown or Leisureworld in Churchfield.

Students will be able to avail of a session within the alternate facility free of charge.

Vouchers are available on a first-come first-served basis from the UCC Student Union Common Room (Behind the O'Rahilly Building) Mon - Fri 9.30am - 5.30pm.

Vouchers must be presented when boarding the coach and again on arrival at the leisure facility.

Coach departure times will be strictly enforced in order to ensure smooth running of the timetable throughout the day.

If you have any queries please phone the Mardyke Freephone helpline number 1800 28 30 35 (Mon-Fri 9.00am - 5.00pm)

Click here for Bus Times and a Map showing the collection/drop off point: http://yourunion.wordpress.com/2009/12/03/alternative-arrangements-for-mardyke-users/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

staff members not included? Paying a lot of money and still bottom of the list :-(

• Advertisement

not sure how many people look at the site!

Facility Closure Update

The Mardyke Arena UCC is currently closed for flood damage repairs. We have been receiving information from contractors on-site re the extent of damage to ground floor.

Based on most recent information we hope to have part of the facility re-opened by end of January/start of February 2010.

We will continue to post information as we receive it here on the website.
    We are currently in the process of contacting members/patrons directly in order to provide information as to the various options we can offer while the facility is closed for flood damage repairs. Many of you will be receiving a letter/e-mail/phone call over the next few days to elaborate on these options and ask you to choose which option would be most suitable for you.
    Please be assured that we will accomodate you in any way that we can during the closure.
    For those user groups for whom we do not have contact details - we would ask you to keep checking this website and we will post information here for you.
    Our freephone number 1800 28 30 35 (Mon-Fri 9.00am - 5.00pm) is fully operational and has been very busy over the past few days. A large number of callers have requested that their memberships be extended for a period equal to the duration of the closure and we have put a process in place to accomodate these requests with minimal inconvenience to those choosing this option.
    We have also secured a number of short-term memberships with other leisure facilities if members wish to avail of this option. Details will be provided in the direct communication which is currently going out to members.
    An option for usage of alternate leisure facilities for UCC students during the Arena closure has also been been put in place. Details of the proposed service will be posted here and advertised via UCC Student Union as soon as confirmed.
    Sincere thanks to all callers who have very kindly expressed your support and good wishes.

I was reading a bit in the Echo, UCC's insurance will cover the cost of the damage, which sources estimate to be around €22 millions euro

Advertisement