Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our poor Mardyke?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Not trying to sound stingy or anything, but I have to make the point that the students of the past were students that were not living in a recession. At the moment students priorities may be slightly different. Just a point...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

I wonder what precautions have the Mardyke taken in advance of the floods tonight?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Nova_era wrote: »
    I wonder what precautions have the Mardyke taken in advance of the floods tonight?

If they can take precautions - probably did some sandbagging and moved some stuff, if they were smart, but if the water is gonna come in, it is gonna come in, which is very unfortunate for the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

It surely can't be that bad tonight?? Can it?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

hopefully not, localised flooding from Dennehy X to College Road, Magazine road. I'm not up there, but its not supposed to be that bad, a lot of it is supposed to be localised, so hopefully thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

hopefully not, localised flooding from Dennehy X to College Road, Magazine road. I'm not up there, but its not supposed to be that bad, a lot of it is supposed to be localised, so hopefully thats it

Also I just read that high tide was expected at 4 this evening so I doubt it'll get any worse tonight or tomorrow.

Also I just read that high tide was expected at 4 this evening so I doubt it'll get any worse tonight or tomorrow.

Didn't matter the last time unfortunately, damage was done after high tide. I'd say the amount of water behind the dam isn't anywhere as great as it was the last time, but it could get worse if the temperatures keep rising and the rain continues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

One thing is that it might take a while for the rain water/thawing snow to actualy come in from the large water basin that our dam covers. It wont be anywhere near the last floods but these ones could still get worse id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Since it's not raining, I'd say the danger is now negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Has anyone heard any estimates as to when the Mardyke might be open again?

I hate knowing that I've paid for something that isn't even open and the vouchers to get a bus to another gym are not an adequate substitute.

• Advertisement

Jayeire wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any estimates as to when the Mardyke might be open again?

I hate knowing that I've paid for something that isn't even open and the vouchers to get a bus to another gym are not an adequate substitute.

The Mardyke Arena UCC flood repair works are progressing well and we hope to be re-opening part of the facility in mid-February 2010.

Source: www.mardykearena.com

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

It opens again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

And full facilities available from tomorrow and all, great news IMO, my deferred new years resolution no longer has an excuse!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

I WILL start going to the mardyke again. Hopefully! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

It's probably going to be the busiest gym in the world for the next week, a good time for TV3's propaganda department to come along and do a report on how healthy and fit UCC students are. :)

Nova_era wrote: »
    It's probably going to be the busiest gym in the world for the next week, a good time for TV3's propaganda department to come along and do a report on how healthy and fit UCC students are. :)

I'd actually love to know what percentage of UCC students actually use the Mardyke - I've too much work this week to make it down there, but next week I will be there everyday without fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I imagine it'll be mental in the morning. I wonder if the other gyms in the area will quiet down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Was going to head down today, but thinking its going to be jammers, the whole fad of it being back open in all, will probably be like the first week in college when the freshers jam the place with good intentions. Have to start swimming for my back, doctors orders and I really dislike swimming!

I was there at 9am and it was pretty quiet. Car park was a bit of a joke because alot of places were taken up from construction still going on and some idiots deciding to take up 2 spaces.

Tonight could be jointed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

had a look in there today. new lick of paint, new doors etc. new weights machines and benches, barbells, weights and dumbells. pretty similar setup though, still only one lifting platform and only one flat bench!!

and a load of clocks in reception with different capitals' times... the f*ck?! it even has london up there, which is pretty retarded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

poll open again ?

Just got confirmation that our badminton will be in the Mardyke from this Friday onwards! Whoo!! Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Is the pool still closed?

Jay P wrote: »

Not from the sounds of it, it says that all damaged parts have been repaired and refurbished, so I'd say its open. The hall is definitely sorted, we have class there Friday! :D

Thyme wrote: »
    had a look in there today. new lick of paint, new doors etc. new weights machines and benches, barbells, weights and dumbells. pretty similar setup though, still only one lifting platform and only one flat bench!!

and a load of clocks in reception with different capitals' times... the f*ck?! it even has london up there, which is pretty retarded!
    Wrong. There are 4 flat benches to bench with.

Jay P wrote: »
    Its open along with the sauna and steam room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Wrong. There are 4 flat benches to bench with.

yeah i had a closer look today, i just came back in to the thread to correct myself! there's one flat bench press, and 2 adjustable incline presses.

Advertisement