Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy-proofing xmas tree?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Once December rolls around it will be time to put up the xmas tree and assorted decorations and this will be the first time to do so with our westie in the house. She's not quite a puppy anymore but would still cause all sorts of havoc I'm sure if she got at the decorations. So, any tips for keeping the tree safe? (She won't be left alone in the room with the tree). We had looked at perhaps a fire-guard or something similar around the base but would be interested to hear others opinions on it.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We'll be using the same method we used with the cat - keep the tree in another room lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We used a fire guard last year but he was only a tiny pup at that stage so wuldn't have been able to get through it. He's a fair bit bigger now and has a stubborn streak so will most likely try knock the gate to get at the tree.

We might allow him have a sniff before the lights go on it, make it clear that corner of the room is out of bounds and hope for the best. And obviously not allow him in the room unsupervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Our lad pi**ed on a friends Christmas tree last year when we went around to visit:o! I was mortified!
    He never bothered with our own one though.

We have another pup this year who will also be seeing one for the first time; I will use the "Leave it" command anytime she goes up to it.

Treat the tree the same as you would any other piece of furniture that you dont want your dog on/near.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

kildara wrote: »
    I will use the "Leave it" command anytime she goes up to it.

Treat the tree the same as you would any other piece of furniture that you dont want your dog on/near.

Yep I second that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

It might not be as bad as you think! Last year our puppy was 6 months old when we out up the tree and we just told her no the first time she went at it and she didnt go at it again!

Although, when we were taking it down she ran off with some decorations!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Trying to figure out what way to do it this year he'll be trying to pull off decorations the minute they go up. So either we aren't getting one (no room for one really anyway) or we'll get a small one and put it up on a table or something.

Fire guard is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

last xmas i had 2 ferrets that were fascinated with it.... this year i have four. ill be taking the "different room" approach as ferrets make a point of doing the opposite of what you want!!

Advertisement