Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Follow on for Dairy Allergy baby.

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

My son is now a year.
    He has a dairy allergy and is on SMA formula soya.

From 1 year I presume I can start giving him Soya Milk. from Carton.

Would love to know anyone else view on this.. Or what anyone else with similar allergy has done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

sorry to butt in on your question but does anyone know what the chances of my baby being lactose intolerant??? i was diagnosed 2 years ago and this is my 3rd baby but first since i became intolerant. I was probably intolerant all my life but not noticably if that makes any sense, then i had an annyphlactic shock reaction to a spice that made my intolerance unbearable. Couldn't even take the pill anymore cos it's coated in lactose... hence i'm pregnant!!! lol any advice would be welcome (my other 2 kids have no dairy issues):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Quality wrote: »
    My son is now a year.
    He has a dairy allergy and is on SMA formula soya.

From 1 year I presume I can start giving him Soya Milk. from Carton.

Would love to know anyone else view on this.. Or what anyone else with similar allergy has done.

We used goat's milk for my son.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Soya milk is suitable as the only milk from the age of 2 (says so on the carton!) but is suitable from the same time that normal milk is.
    My little girl (10 months) has being getting it or normal milk on her cereal for the last 2 months and it works fine.
    I was weary of giving her cows milk because I can't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Its just the sma wysoy is for babies 0-12 months...

I presume there is no follow on milk for it? Cant seem to find it in the sma product info.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/lactose.html

Babies grow out of their allergies. It might be worth trying cow milk to see how he is now. Soya has a lot of phytoestrogens which are not ideal.

Babies don't get lactose intolerant, they can have a milk protein allergy which causes lactose intolerance but removing the proteins from the diet cures it.

• Advertisement

neeb wrote: »
    http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/lactose.html

Babies grow out of their allergies. It might be worth trying cow milk to see how he is now. Soya has a lot of phytoestrogens which are not ideal.

Babies don't get lactose intolerant, they can have a milk protein allergy which causes lactose intolerance but removing the proteins from the diet cures it.

Well his rast test was only done two months ago so he is definitely still allergic at the moment..

He was breast fed til 10 and a half months. so the milk was not an issue until then.. I had him on soya yogurts etc from 6 months.

hoping he will grow out of it though!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well his rast test was only done two months ago so he is definitely still allergic at the moment..

He was breast fed til 10 and a half months. so the milk was not an issue until then.. I had him on soya yogurts etc from 6 months.

hoping he will grow out of it though!!:)

Was the test done by a doctor/medical professional or in health store?

nesf wrote: »
    Was the test done by a doctor/medical professional or in health store?

In the hospital, I wouldnt have a health store take blood from my son.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

In the hospital, I wouldnt have a health store take blood from my son.:eek:

Cool, just making sure, some health stores offer allergy tests that tend to "overestimate" one's allergies to things! :)

nesf wrote: »
    Cool, just making sure, some health stores offer allergy tests that tend to "overestimate" one's allergies to things! :)

Ah Yeah, No I sort of knew he was allergic when I gave him some yogurt at 6 months and he developed hives around his face.

I then had to wait 4 months for the hospital appointment and the test to confirm it.

I am hoping he will grow out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Have you tried the hydrolysed formulas? They are cows milk formula with the allergenic proteins broken down? Avoid the phyto-estrogens in the soy formula?

I think soy formula is designed as a complete infant food so it would have all the nutrients etc in it. Soy milk would not, its not very nutritious, I'd stick with some type of formula for the nutrition.

Hope he grows out of it soon!!

Advertisement