Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skinny jeans but don't have skinny legs - opinions please

• 23-11-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭puppy cat

Be kind if at all possible :)

I'm no skinny malink but I like the look of skinny jeans/leggings with boots, uggs and otherwise.

However, I have strange legs, they're kind of triangle shaped from the ankles up! I'm not huge, size 14, average height, and sometimes I look ok in skinnies, sometimes I look like a heifer....:(

So should I just give up wearing them or stick to my guns and wear what I feel comfy in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I'd try leggings first. I'm the same shape as you and now live in them, but I find that skinny jeans and different colored leggings do no justice.... So i wear black leggings and black UGG boots. Go with everything!

Give them a whirl, try them out at home. It's not like black leggings break the bank anyways since theyre only about 4euro a pair in Dunnes. Do NOT buy a large, in ANY BRAND, because the stretch the minute you put them on. If buying them in Dunnes, go with a small or medium, trust me, they stretch!!!

Wash them regularly because once they stretch and get out of shape they make you look all clumpy. If you are feeling conscious with the top of your legs, avoid wearing them with short tops, wear long tops and maybe a cardigan over it? or if wanting to wear a hoody, wear a long enough tshirt under it.

Skinny Jeans and multicoloured leggings or jean coloured leggins often do no justice AT ALL.... And can often be off putting. Thats why id stick with the black, or if you can get black skinny jeans or a very dark navy blue jean I would.

Try avoid leggings with a different colour seam down the side of the leg too... As this can emphasis areas which you dont want to be noticed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

puppy cat wrote: »

However, I have strange legs, they're kind of triangle shaped from the ankles up! I'm not huge, size 14, average height, and sometimes I look ok in skinnies, sometimes I look like a heifer....:(

If you've got big calves then don't wear skinny jeans - they won't flatter. The clue is in the name :) Black leggings is a better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭puppy cat

Yep, big calves (moo!), big knees, big thighs.

I find it near impossible to get boots to fit, even high cut ankle boots. I have those fake uggs from Dunnes and even they are a bit tight around my legs.

I think I'm going to give up and just stick with normal jeans. It's so disheartening when i put on my leggings and boots, think I look grand, then spot some size 8 twiglet looking amazing........with her ugg boots wrinkling down around her ankles!

And just to clarify, even when i was a size 8 myself I still had big legs and still couldn't get knee high boots etc to fit.

Damn my manky legs :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd stay away from skinny jeans/leggings if your anyway conscious about your legs; buy a cheapish air form penneys and try by no point spending a fortune. It's just your shape might no suit them, but there are other styles that will and its a matter of finding out which:)

I'd stay away from skinny jeans/leggings if your anyway conscious about your legs; buy a cheapish air form penneys and try by no point spending a fortune. It's just your shape might no suit them, but there are other styles that will and its a matter of finding out which:)

That's the strange thing, I'm not actually conscious of them, but I feel like everyone else is conscious of them, if that makes any sense??

I mean, I saw a woman in Dublin city centre yesterday, and she was about a size 18 I'd say, same height as me, and she looked absolutely gorgeous in her skinnies and uggs, quite big legs too. I also saw a girl who was much thinner than me and she actually didn't look great in them! Go figure!

Oh I don't know. I'm confused about the whole thing tbh. :)

I suppose I'm wondering should I just go with what feels comfortable to me, regardless of how it looks, or actually dress based on whether or not other people are going to look at me and think "jaysus, did your one not look in the mirror this morning?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I suppose I'm wondering should I just go with what feels comfortable to me, regardless of how it looks, or actually dress based on whether or not other people are going to look at me and think "jaysus, did your one not look in the mirror this morning?"

Now I have reread your post; GO FOR IT! You sound a bit like me, always one part of my mind wondering if people will eye me up and say 'where'd she find that getup?' but feck it I do it anyway If I feel good in it. You'll quite possibly get compliments and I guess with any item of clothing, confidence is what gives it that edge so go for it:)

Now I have reread your post; GO FOR IT! You sound a bit like me, always one part of my mind wondering if people will eye me up and say 'where'd she find that getup?' but feck it I do it anyway If I feel good in it. You'll quite possibly get compliments and I guess with any item of clothing, confidence is what gives it that edge so go for it:)

YAY!!!!! Yeah, life's too short isn't it? Fake it 'til you make it and all that. :D

Now to decide what to wear today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

And just to clarify, even when i was a size 8 myself I still had big legs and still couldn't get knee high boots etc to fit.
    Going OT for a moment here. I know someone how has the same legs as you and she swears by these people for all her knee high boot action. May or may not be useful to you.

Back on topic: Have to agree with eth0_ on this. Stay away from the skinny things.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Another +1 here for Duo Boots - amazing quality and fit.

Personally, if you feel anyway uncomfortable about skinny jeans (for whatever reason), then you're better off not wearing them. Otherwise, you'll make yourself paranoid. Additionally, there are a lot of people out there wearing skinny jeans who would be better off avoiding them - just because something is in fashion doesn't mean that you should wear it.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Going OT for a moment here. I know someone how has the same legs as you and she swears by these people for all her knee high boot action. May or may not be useful to you.

Back on topic: Have to agree with eth0_ on this. Stay away from the skinny things.

Spotted them online before actually, lovely stuff, but a little bit out of my price range unfortunately.

A little bit OT here but I remember hearing a guy in a bed/mattress shop talking and he said you should spend the most money, and get the best quality, on the 3 things you spend most of your time in, your bed, your car and your shoes! Too true.

I don't know about steering clear of the skinnies altogether though. It's usually only the "normal" police I have any dealings with, not the fashion police! ;) So I'm not too sure how to respond!

• Advertisement

• I'm going to be the big old meanie here and say don't do it. Why on earth would you wear something that just didn't suit you? From your description (triangle shape/big legs), I can't see how skinny jeans would look good. People should dress for their shape, not buy things because they're in fashion, and it's not even like they are comfy, unless I've missed some recent new design of skinny jeans (don't get me started on jeggings).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I don't know, if the jeans are skinny but fit properly (i.e. don't look like they were painted on to you!) and you wear them with nice boots, and a longish top, they might look good! Also go with dark rather than light coloured jeans. And very simple ones. With pockets on the ass - otherwise your bum will look bigger.

(I'm personally not a fan of Ugg boots myself so won't comment on the whole Ugg boots/skinny jeans look! ;))

No matter what, definitely stay away from pumps etc with the skinny jeans - it's an awful look unless you're absolutely tiny!

I reckon if you look in the mirror and you think that you look good and that you can pull it off - then go for it! :) If you feel confident and you believe that you look well, it really does make other people believe it too.

[quote=[Deleted User];63146371]I'm going to be the big old meanie here and say don't do it. Why on earth would you wear something that just didn't suit you? From your description (triangle shape/big legs), I can't see how skinny jeans would look good. People should dress for their shape, not buy things because they're in fashion, and it's not even like they are comfy, unless I've missed some recent new design of skinny jeans (don't get me started on jeggings).[/quote]

I suppose I'm a bit tired of having to wear the same thing ALL the time because only "certain" things suit me/my shape. Need to sort myself out though and get out of my clothing rut.

It's a minefield Izzy.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I don't know, if the jeans are skinny but fit properly (i.e. don't look like they were painted on to you!) and you wear them with nice boots, and a longish top, they might look good! Also go with dark rather than light coloured jeans. And very simple ones. With pockets on the ass - otherwise your bum will look bigger.

(I'm personally not a fan of Ugg boots myself so won't comment on the whole Ugg boots/skinny jeans look! ;))

No matter what, definitely stay away from pumps etc with the skinny jeans - it's an awful look unless you're absolutely tiny!

I reckon if you look in the mirror and you think that you look good and that you can pull it off - then go for it! :) If you feel confident and you believe that you look well, it really does make other people believe it too.

Well the boots are for comfort and warmth at the moment. Definitely wouldn't wear flat pumps!!!

I'm actually going to root out my skinnies and my leggings and all my longish tops and have a fashion show here on my own before I head out later......it's gonna be a loooooong day :D

I disagree. The clue is in the name - "skinny" jeans. If you don't have slim legs, you just make yourself look bigger than you are, as if you're wearing jeans that are too small for you. It does not look good...

That's the strange thing, I'm not actually conscious of them, but I feel like everyone else is conscious of them, if that makes any sense??
    "

Where whatever you want... Your friends and family already know what you look like so they're hardly gonna be SHOCKED when you come out looking in leggings.... If you feel comfotable in them thats all that matters.

Im pretty bit size 16 and started wearing black leggings and now live in them!
    Give them a whirl, try them out, if you don't like them, don't wear them. If you do, all the better! They go with everything, and can actually sometimes be flattering!

So your not a size 8? So what! Like I said, your friends and family already know wat u look like! You have to make the most of what size you have and stop comparing yourself to a size 8...

fend wrote: »
    So your not a size 8? So what! Like I said, your friends and family already know wat u look like! You have to make the most of what size you have and stop comparing yourself to a size 8...

My award for the most sensible post goes to you!

You're dead right. We should just wear what feels comfy and forget about all the fashion nazis :)

I'm just going to keep wearing them and to hell with the begrudgers/fashion police.

If everybody was a size 8, life would be very boring, and everyone would be wearing the same thing... Your size determines what you wear and how you wear it. Its what makes you different from every other person.

Have you noticed, everyone who is roughly a size 8 looks the same? They all wear the same type of clothes, same colours... Being a different size spices it up a bit!

If you were a size 16, why on EARTH would you want to make yourself look BIGGER?
    I don't understand.

Why don't you dress in a way that flatters your shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

If everybody was a size 8, life would be very boring, and everyone would be wearing the same thing... Your size determines what you wear and how you wear it. Its what makes you different from every other person.

Have you noticed, everyone who is roughly a size 8 looks the same? They all wear the same type of clothes, same colours... Being a different size spices it up a bit!

Tbh I take slight offense at this, someone who is a size 8 can look just as individual and have just as much personal style as someone who's a different size, be it bigger or smaller. Not everyone who is a size 8 wears the same thing.

OT: OP I wouldn't advise this particular cut of jeans for you, but you sound like you really wanna wear them, so go for it. If you like something and you feel good in it, then go for it. People usually look good in what they feel good wearing.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    If you were a size 16, why on EARTH would you want to make yourself look BIGGER?
    I don't understand.

Why don't you dress in a way that flatters your shape?

I'm actually disgusted with that comment to be totally honest. Who says size 16 is considered big? Marlyn Monroe wore a size 16 top and bottom. I'd hardly consider her big. Size 16 falls on people in different ways. I am totally offended by that comment.
    And who are you to say that leggings make people bigger or smaller? Every person's body is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭zzxx

I'm a size 10 and don't have big legs at all but I could never get a pair of skinny jeans that looked anyway decent on me. It's got nothing to do with size. It's trial and error - I must have tried on pairs in every shop I went to for the last 12 months hoping a pair would finally look right. It happened on Saturday - in Next. They're skinny, but not skintight and on Saturday night I finally got to go out in a skinny jeans & boots combo!

Delighted. And they only cost 32e, I recommend going to Next and trying on a few pairs to see how you get on

Lets keep this about skinny jeans and leggings and NOT about who thinks what size is perfect.

• puppy cat wrote: »
    My award for the most sensible post goes to you!

You're dead right. We should just wear what feels comfy and forget about all the fashion nazis :)

I'm just going to keep wearing them and to hell with the begrudgers/fashion police.

Begrudgers? Why would anyone here be begrudging you? You posted a comment and you got answers. Just because it wasn't what you wanted to hear doesn't mean it was bad advice. If you want to wear clothes that don't suit your figure, go right ahead. I won't waste my time giving you advice again.

And fend, everyone who is a size 8 looks the same? What a ridiculous thing to say. And as if skinny jeans and Ugg boots is in any way original?? You're contradicting yourself all over the place. Yes, people are different shapes and sizes, and yes it would be boring if we all looked the same, so why are you telling OP to wear skinny jeans, which are not only crazily popular, but probably far from the best thing to suit her figure? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'm actually disgusted with that comment to be totally honest. Who says size 16 is considered big? Marlyn Monroe wore a size 16 top and bottom. I'd hardly consider her big. Size 16 falls on people in different ways. I am totally offended by that comment.
    And who are you to say that leggings make people bigger or smaller? Every person's body is different.

No she was not,( completely off the point sorry) she had a waist of less than 25 inches so she was far from a 16, maybe in 50's or 60's sizing if this has drastically changed, however I think this is a myth.

• No she was not,( completely off the point sorry) she had a waist of less than 25 inches so she was far from a 16, maybe in 50's or 60's sizing if this has drastically changed, however I think this is a myth.

It's well known that it's a myth.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article6044724.ece

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Regardless of what size Marilyn Monroe was, the fact is that she dressed to suit her shape. That's something we all should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Anyway to go back to the point, I would try leggings rather than jeans, try them with a long top that its not too loose and it might really suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I just got a lovely pair in Topshop that are skinny legged however are fitted not skin tight on the waist and thighs... they also do skinny skinny ones which were a little frightening looking and I was afraid I'd get stuck in them but the ones I got are great - they have them in black and various different blues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

sweet suffering jesus christ, i cant believe people are telling the op not to wear what she wants because THEY think it wont look nice. she's a size 14 not 24, and even if she was, so what? wear whatever the hell you like and NOT what anyone else likes.

sweet suffering jesus christ, i cant believe people are telling the op not to wear what she wants because THEY think it wont look nice. she's a size 14 not 24, and even if she was, so what? wear whatever the hell you like and NOT what anyone else likes.
    Another outburst like that and I'll be issueing bans and infractions. The OP asked for advice and opinion.
    So should I just give up wearing them or stick to my guns and wear what I feel comfy in?

Everyone else in this there note this:
    I've already put a warning in this thread. Don't make my Ban count rise.
    Keep to the topic. If you have nothing useful to add then don't post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have a serious issue with two current fashions: skinny jeans, and waist belts. Both can look fantastic on people - my best friend is a tall, willowly, fairly curveless size 10 and looks amazing in both. I'm a short size 12 with curves in the right places, and I'd look ridiculous in either. I have very muscular legs, so skinny jeans just emphasise my hips and thighs while balancing out neither. Waist belts emphasise my boobs and waist... but make me look pregnant below.

IMO unless you're tall and/or thin, skinny jeans should be avoided. Unless you have small hips and slender legs, you're more than likely going to look porky and pear-shaped. I have a size 16 friend who wears skinny jeans and they just look awful on her. They make her look twice as big as she is. At the same time, I've a size 8/10 friend who's an irish dancer and looks equally rubbish in skinny jeans. Her legs are extremely muscular and the jeans do nothing to flatter her at all.

So, to go with the common consensus here, avoid skinny jeans. Black leggings might be a runner if you wear a long top with them. But that being said, I'd imagine you'd look a lot better in a pair of bootlegged or flared jeans that are fitted on your thighs, but balance out your hips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You could always try a straight leg jean if you are a bit nervous of the skinny jean trend. They are quite similar but a little more forgiving. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Novella wrote: »
    You could always try a straight leg jean if you are a bit nervous of the skinny jean trend. They are quite similar but a little more forgiving. :)

Ya, I second Novella on that one, straight jeans are great in my opinion- much more flattering and comfy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Special K

I say go for it.
    I wore skinny jeans one night going out [black ones, size 16/18] with FLAT PUMPS and I pulled a gorgeous tall guy that night!

I'm sick of people not wearing something because of what others might think, and am guilty of it myself to an extent as I dont' believe I have the figure. But if my boyfriend likes it, and I like it, then I'll damn well wear it.

Girls are woeful bitchy anyway, and if they're not eyeing up your jeans in disgust, they'll be smirking at your earrings, or your coloured eyeshadow or something.

Trust me, IF YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE IN THEM, GO FOR IT. FORGET WHAT ANY STRANGER THINKS, THEY DON'T MATTER.

[As an aside, if you don't feel comfortable in them, don't wear them. Nothing worse than being conscious or adjusting them all night becaues you feel self conscious. And also, to reiterate a point already made, just because something is in fashion, doesn't mean it's automatically A]Stylish B]Suitable for all body shapes]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I'm a size 10 but with (what I feel) are big legs, both calves and thighs. I've never found a pair of skinny jeans that I'm happy with. The closest I've come is a pair from River Island, which if I'm being honest are probably more straight leg fit but seem skinny to me.

I spent the last week in Spain and literally EVERY single pair of trousers over there are skinny fit. I don't know what I would do If I lived there permanently.

OP, if you can find a pair of jeans/leggings you are comfortable in then go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

true.. once you're confident in what you're wearing, it will automatically look better. It doesn't matter how great something may look on you, if you're uncomfortable in something it's quite obvious to others and not a good look. It's why I just don't bother wearing high heels, yes they make my legs and arse look far better but that doesn't really matter when I am wobbling across a dancefloor, desperately grabbing for something/somebody to hang on to while wearing a look of intense agony on my face. not sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 irishwhirlwind

puppy cat, wear them with pride....speaking for all the real men of ireland i would say we would rather have a normal sized girl like yourself rather than some self hateing misreable rake who needs skinny jeans to keep her brittle legs from crumpling under her. women have curves,ITS A GLORIOUS THING.sooner the better the girls of ireland understand and learn to like themselves the better....rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

when i put on my leggings and boots, think I look grand, then spot some size 8 twiglet looking amazing

I'm not actually conscious of them, but I feel like everyone else is conscious of them

I suppose I'm wondering should I just go with what feels comfortable to me, regardless of how it looks, or actually dress based on whether or not other people are going to look at me and think "jaysus, did your one not look in the mirror this morning?"[/quote]
    YAY!!!!! Yeah, life's too short isn't it? Fake it 'til you make it and all that. :D

I don't know about steering clear of the skinnies altogether though.

so, from reading back the op's posts (again), i think what she was actually asking was wether or not she should dress in what she is already comfy in, or wear clothes for other peoples preference.

morally, i think we all know the correct answer. dress for yourself and nobody else. simple.

and i quite clearly made a balls of multi quoting.....

• puppy cat, wear them with pride....speaking for all the real men of ireland i would say we would rather have a normal sized girl like yourself rather than some self hateing misreable rake who needs skinny jeans to keep her brittle legs from crumpling under her. women have curves,ITS A GLORIOUS THING.sooner the better the girls of ireland understand and learn to like themselves the better....rant over.

Yeah, cos all petite/skinny girls are miserable rakes who hate themselves and don't eat. :rolleyes: Obviously, big girls are big because of their genes, but it's impossible to be skinny because of your genes, you must be starving yourself :rolleyes:

Size 8 is as 'normal' as size 16. The question was should women with big legs wear skinny jeans. It's no different than a size 6 girl with a 32AA chest asking if she should wear a low cut dress. Of course she can if she wants to, but it probably isn't the best clothing choice for her.

• Advertisement

/Thread

Appologies for closing your thread OP but it's become a trainwreck.
    Posters are of opinion mixed opinion and some think you should while other think you should not however almost everyone agrees that you need to do what pleases You in the longrun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement