Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a boxer puppy

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

have been thinking its time to rescue a new dog rather than buy one, was looking at cavaliers or boxers who both breeds i have always had. As im at home all day thought now would be the perfect time.
    Anyways after a lot of looking have finally found the fella i want. He is a 5 month old, dark brindle boxer puppy, just happened to be talking to a cousin at my aunts funeral Friday, i know what a time, but she knew a family that have hit hard times and were trying to find a home for there pup.
    Tiny as he is called is coming to me Wed my cousin is bringing him down to me. Went and seen him yesterday and is lovely, we really cant wait, dont think he has has much walking on a lead as they said they could bring him for runs of lead as they basically leave in the middle of know where, but apart from that seems fine.
    We are all very excited and cant wait, i have crate trained my other girl here but i got her when she was 8 weeks, i have had boxers before but crate training is new to me apart from my little girl i had never did this before, is 5 nearly 6 months to old to start crating esp as he has been a mostly out door dog, or will it be fine to start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No 5-6 months isn't too old. It might take a bit longer to settle him in it if he's used to having more space but afaik the training is the same. Except you wont have to get up every 3 hours to bring him out during the night :) which is a plus.

Congrats on your new puppy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I got my boxer pup at about 4 months (also a rescue) and he was very quick to pick up on his toilet training. I didn't use a crate so I can't speak to that but within about 2 weeks he was asking to go out. As far as I can see, the main thing with any method is to be consistent - both my dogs seem to thrive on routine.

Good luck with the pup - I've had mine for about a year now and it really has been a great experience.

Advertisement