Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls buying games

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

The world is ending!!

nah only kidding but my GF turned 28 and what did her friend buy her for it?
    A PS3 game!! and they all loved the idea.

Admittedly it was singstar but this is from a group of girls who have never owned (or played I think) a piece of games hardware.

Strange times ahead where the wimmens steal time on our machines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dot dot dot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Wow, that's amazing!
    Shame that they don't make more cooking and cleaning games though, because that's what girls really want to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sandwich Simulator 2010 is the game I'm looking forward to most.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

koneko wrote: »
    Sandwich Simulator 2010 is the game I'm looking forward to most.

Oh (wo)man I cannot wait! Rumor is they've added mayonaisse this year, but I don't think it will really surpass Baguette Baker 7 until they add in believable toasting physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what did her friend buy her for it?
    A PS3 game!! and they all loved the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

oh you are all super smart aren't ya:rolleyes:. How about coming down off of those high horses, it is very bad weather, at the moment like

What I meant was a group of girls who, untill very recently, would have frowned on games as a hobby and NONE of them own a console.
    Not posted in relation to the many girls, who play games.

I am more talking about the shift, in perception, of games in general. In that it is now accepted that late 20's girls buy them as presents, for each other.

Oh (wo)man I cannot wait! Rumor is they've added mayonaisse this year, but I don't think it will really surpass Baguette Baker 7 until they add in believable toasting physics.

Well there is Cooking Mama, on the Wii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That isn't how your first post came across.

With a lot of people playing games on thier phones a hand held is not that far of a leap away esp with the type of marketing that has been used esp for the DS.

It is the huge leap to interactive enterainment which has been happening over the last few years. 10 years ago if someone had of said there would be billboard ads for games I would have laughed, but it is a reality now.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That isn't how your first post came across.

With a lot of people playing games on thier phones a hand held is not that far of a leap away esp with the type of marketing that has been used esp for the DS.

It is the huge leap to interactive enterainment which has been happening over the last few years. 10 years ago if someone had of said there would be billboard ads for games I would have laughed, but it is a reality now.

Apologies if I was not clear, in my original post.

I have always been in a house where women played games. Trying to get my own original GameBoy, from my mother, was nigh on impossible and my sister had a PS1 and stole my PS2 when I got the 3.

i was just stunned when I saw them present the game and loving the idea of it. As I said, they are so far from the "typical" games person. I realise that there is a large shift in gaming but just surprised that it was so accepted now that birthday gifts between girls are games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The world is ending!!
    A PS3 game!!

The story would be so much better if you actually had a 360...

-Drav!

• Advertisement

The story would be so much better if you actually had a 360...

-Drav!

I had thought that. The girl buying knew what I had though, as her BF and I are always yapping on about them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While there does seem to be a growing acceptance of games by society, I think we have some way to go yet. Games still are extremely gender segregated (I did an essay in college for this ridiculous ad). The unfortunate thing is game developers, publishers and advertisers are pushing specifically 'girl' orientated games (Ubisoft's Imagine series in particular is absurd and backwards). Luckily, most female gamers I've talked to reject this kind of thing, but I don't think these sort of games should be pushed on younger female gamers as it just reaffirms traditional gender roles by separating games as distinctly for men and women. There is always a place for so-called 'casual' or lifestyle games (Wii Fit, Singstar etc... - plenty of people enjoy them as much as others would enjoy Rock Band) but I also think it would be great if many newcomers to games could broaden their tastes as a result. Barring the particularly macho shooters, there is no reason female gamers wouldn't enjoy RPGs, platformers, FPS or strategy games. Of course every medium is gender-segmented, but it would just be unfortunate if Singstar: Take That is as far as some are likely to venture, because there is a rich variety of games out there that shouldn't simply be ignored when someone dictates that they are 'for boys'.

i was just stunned when I saw them present the game and loving the idea of it.

Casual gamers do not count though.

I work in an office full of tech heads and I'd only really call 1 of them a "gamer". He knows release dates, knows what engine a game is running, reads the reviews, knows the memes, posts on forums, plays the games, competes online, understands acronyms such as AA, AF and HDR, pulls all nighters with his favourite games and a bunch of friends.

Ask any of these girls would they spend 48 hours playing games solid. If they answer "No" then they are as close to being a gamer as my friends mother is, who plays solitaire and mine sweeper on her sons Crysis killing PC.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Casual gamers do not count though.

I work in an office full of tech heads and I'd only really call 1 of them a "gamer". He knows release dates, If a game interests me then yes knows what engine a game is running generally nope, reads the reviews yup, up to a point. some reviews are insane, knows the memes nope, posts on forums only here, plays the games obviously, competes online depends on the game, understands acronyms such as AA, AF and HDR nope, pulls all nighters with his favourite games and a bunch of friends whenever I can.

I am only a partial gamer then lol

Still though, everyone starts as a "casual" gamer

Ask any of these girls would they spend 48 hours playing games solid. If they answer "No" then they are as close to being a gamer as my friends mother is, who plays solitaire and mine sweeper on her sons Crysis killing PC.

That is a bit absurd tbh. I wouldn't spend 48 hours solid playing games, and I very much consider myself a gamer. Someone who plays lots of games is a 'gamer' - just because they don't know the slang or spend two days straight playing doesn't mean they are any less of a gamer than someone who has, say, prestiged 3 times in MW2 already. Loads of time playing / reading up on games is not equivalent to being a 'purer' gamer - just means that that person has more time to spend.

Still though, everyone starts as a "casual" gamer

Yes but saying a bunch of girls buying SingStar is somehow a change for the books is wrong. It's like people who play DnD noting that because their sister bought snakes and ladders, soon the wimmins will be into serious fantasy role play dice games.

Plus, I'm sure you know the memes, if I was to say "Boom! Headshot" or "all your base" or "the cake is a lie"... etc, you'd know what I was talking about.

That is a bit absurd tbh.

Well, of course I was describing the Alpha Gamer, he who pwns on PC and dabbles in some console gaming so as not to become disconnected from the peasantry masses.

PC_Gaming_Master_Race.jpg

Well, of course I was describing the Alpha Gamer, he who pwns on PC and dabbles in some console gaming so as not to become disconnected from the peasantry masses.

PC_Gaming_Master_Race.jpg

How did Leo Cullen get in there??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Not really that strange, My girlfriend plays more games than I do. She has an xbox 360, Ps3 , Wii, psp and I haven't seen her in a week because she has been playing MW2 online lol and I live there!!...it is pretty sweet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

my OH was terribly confused when he came home from a weekend away with the lads and I was bleary eyed on the sofa screaming "Die Templar DIE!" at the PS3 while playing Assassins Creed.... I had played it for 36 hours straight... it was awesome...

But... It is nice to play the girl card and get him to do missions and levels for me that are too hard because after the fiftieth time trying to finish AC I nearly put the controller through the telly and he couldn't allow that! :D

• Advertisement

All this being said, on the weekend I was at one of our regular SFIV meets at a gaming center in Dublin, and there was a 20 something couple, sitting close together cuddling and kissing during the load screens between areas in some split screen shooter they where playing. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Not really that strange, My girlfriend plays more games than I do. She has an xbox 360, Ps3 , Wii, psp and I haven't seen her in a week because she has been playing MW2 online lol and I live there!!...it is pretty sweet though.

Are you sure your gf isn't retro dressed as a girl?

[insert retrodressedasgirl.jpg]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I am a 26 year old male living in Munster, I have never met a female console owner, let alone multi console or gaming PC owner.

Gaming in fairness has a lot of stereotyping which probably doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My 11 year old daughter loves L4D, TF2 and even plays CSS some times, all on pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Loads of girls play WoW, we got afew in the guild and they are hardcore gamers, always nice to come accross girls playing shooters though, havn't come accross any on MW2 yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tonight's top story: woman plays video game willingly, more after the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Vegeta wrote: »
    I am a 26 year old male living in Munster, I have never met a female console owner, let alone multi console or gaming PC owner.

Gaming in fairness has a lot of stereotyping which probably doesn't help.

Actually I started a reply to that thinking it was just weird but on reflection most of my friends don't play games either. I just grew up in a house where my mam and dad both played games so did as well and until now hadn't really thought about it. I had a gameboy and PS1. Have a PS2, DS and Wii now... favourite games I have/had: Singstar, Time Splitters 2, Professor Layton and Wii Sports.

Oh and I loved Crash Bandicoot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

In Japan, the bloody wimmins know more about games than I do

(and always beat me...)

*shakes fist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Yes girls do play computer games but in quite small numbers

A fair amount play world of warcraft, the ratio there is about 15 to 20 guys for every girl (real ones that is)

A much higher amount play console/light games such as sims, singstar, guitar hero, etc

A much lower amount play shooters, rts, strategy, etc

Out of the girls who play the mmo's and very online games, some do it purely for the attention, etc they receive, rather than from a pure gaming basis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

tman wrote: »
    Wow, that's amazing!
    Shame that they don't make more cooking and cleaning games though, because that's what girls really want to do...
    Girls playing computer/console games are so hot IMO....

Advertisement