Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls buying games

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

jonny72 wrote: »
    Out of the girls who play the mmo's and very online games, some do it purely for the attention, etc they receive, rather than from a pure gaming basis
    That seems like a pretty biased attitude tbh. I doubt there's that many people, male or female, who play games for the attention they recieve. Its not like most girls playing online games shout "I'm a girl" when they log in. I only really know 1 girl who plays games regularly, and she mainly play Warcraft. I didnt even realise she was a girl, as i met her in game first and she wouldnt have been the first lad with a female avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Kiith wrote: »
    That seems like a pretty biased attitude tbh. I doubt there's that many people, male or female, who play games for the attention they recieve. Its not like most girls playing online games shout "I'm a girl" when they log in. I only really know 1 girl who plays games regularly, and she mainly play Warcraft. I didnt even realise she was a girl, as i met her in game first and she wouldnt have been the first lad with a female avatar.

Heh, I was careful and I said "some". Girls receive A LOT of attention in online games, guys don't. Put it this way, my friend's girlfriend who plays an MMO got a microphone, things changed quite rapidly after that, basically she was never short of help to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

My gf plays Modern Warfare 2. Finished it before me as she had some time off. Also plays Gears, prefers Left4Dead as it has better teamwork but is a bit peeved at the lack of talkers (and she uses a mic). Is taking a break from Modern Warfare on Veteran due to red ring of death and is playing Killzone 2 thanks to teachers strikes right now.

Whoop-de-frickin Doo. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

OP just wanted to point out that he's into gamew and HE HAS A GF!

/end thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Women are getting into 'proper' gaming alright but I think Irish women are lagging behind. Most girls I've met would look at me in utter disgust if I mention I'm into gaming. Or at even a mention of it as a form of entertainment.

It certainly gives the impression that well, half of the countries female gamers have already posted on this thread :p

I look forward to the day when telling a girl I like playing games would have the same reaction as telling one I like watching movies. "Eh doesn't everyone?" :confused:

But I reckon I'll have to move before that happens :p KOREA HERE I COME
    Irishcrx wrote: »
    Not really that strange, My girlfriend plays more games than I do. She has an xbox 360, Ps3 , Wii, psp and I haven't seen her in a week because she has been playing MW2 online lol and I live there!!...it is pretty sweet though.

I hate you.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    My 11 year old daughter loves L4D, TF2 and even plays CSS some times, all on pc.

That's cause you raised your kids well :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

And some of the attenision female players can get can be very negative and disruptive to game play, personally I hate it when arseholes start trying to chat you up or show off or want you to explain thier gf or ex gf or answer for all females cos they have a grudge/issue.

Seriously I am logged in to play it's not a hookup or date site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You can't say it's not just a little funny listening in on an attempt at chatting up a woman by an American boy no older than 16 over Xbox Live. :pac:

Don't think I know of any women who play video games. If they do they don't seem to make note of it, and in my very limited experience some women seem to believe it to be a waster's hobby. :(

I'll always remember years ago playing an old GTA Vice city multiplayer mod (MTA) one of the people I regularly played with was called 'Bastard'. When I asked 'him' about the blunt ass name she told me she chose the least feminine name possible cause she was sick of how some guys acted.

More recently when I played a bit of Age of Conan I was chatting to a girl who was telling me how her sister, who ran one of the largest guilds on the server, pretended she was a guy for a good few months cause she felt no one would take the guild seriously if it was a girl running it.

Its a shame, I don't deny that theres a lot of fking idiot blokes out there making it harder for women to get into gaming.

There is a lot of female gamers online though who flaunt the fact that they are female for the extra attention or in-game help.

Whats amusing is theres guys who'll use female names for the attention too. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day though the internet is just full of idiots either way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

my ex used to play a lot of halo and guitar hero.

that said, was in japan last year, the amount of girls playing games in internet cafes and such was beyond belief. fairly sure they outranked fellas playing 3/1 nearly anytime i looked in at them

RopeDrink wrote: »
    you'd be suprised how many people ask that god annoying question of "Are you fem rl?" as if it matters.

I don't play much mmo's but I do find when I do and if I end up in a chat with someone with a female character , I will eventually ask their gender, its just natural when in a conversation with someone to want an idea of the actual person, nationally, gender, age etc. I'm usually able to guess a lot of this though just by how they type. (the name is also a big clue)

When not in conversation, I'll generally assume if the avatar is female, the person is female .

People are free to make virtual transvestites if they wanna lol :P sure I've made female alts myself but said people shouldn't be pissed off if other people assume they are the same gender as the character they are representing themselves with.

Also if I make a female character I make sure not to have a massively feminine name otherwise I'd be conning people into treating me different, and women are treated differently in an online game, its just a fact. Be it negatively or positively. (in MMO's mainly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Girls playing computer/console games are so hot IMO....

19990825h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

When I played WoW, the people in my guild didn't know my gender until I had to join Ventrilo to do a raid. The channel went silent, followed by WHAAAAT you're a girl?
    I have a regular group of people I play with online who don't care, it's best that way.

A few days ago I was playing MW2 with friends and got called a "slag" by a 12 year old English boy, and that I should go back to the kitchen, lol. I'm well used to it, we take the piss out of those guys and they never have very good comebacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Jee, I started this thread out of surprise that the general female populace find it appropriate to buy games as presents, thesedays.
    Not as an attack on female gamers.

Remember guys that those of us around 30 are still looked upon weirdly, by some mates, who missed out on the rise of games. I just did not think that the "casual" section of games went so far into the female circles (and outside the Wii)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Girls buying games. No way, you just never know what we'll do next. Crazy.

(How would we play them if we didn't buy them....?)

Silverfish wrote: »
    Girls buying games. No way, you just never know what we'll do next. Crazy.

(How would we play them if we didn't buy them....?)

Maybe if you read further down you would realise it was the fact that non gaming girls are buying presents of games for each other that surprised me

I would have said the same thing if my father and his friends started buying each other games

Maybe if you read further down you would realise it was the fact that non gaming girls are buying presents of games for each other that surprised me

I would have said the same thing if my father and his friends started buying each other games

If "non-gaming' girls are buying presents of games for each other, I don't see how they are 'non-gaming' girls.

If "non-gaming' girls are buying presents of games for each other, I don't see how they are 'non-gaming' girls.

Do they own any games (other than the ONE bought as a gift)? No
    Do they own any consoles? No
    Do they play on their B/F's consoles? No
    Do they know about games? No
    Have they previously shown interest when the guys talk about games? No

Would lead me to take the belief that they are not gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

But that implies Singstar is an actual game. :eek:

Yes, but your gf and her friends do not equal all girls.

I know a lot of previously non-gamer guys who recently bought consoles due to heavy tv adverstising. I'd say it's no different for women.

Due to games such as singstar / rock band / lips or whatever, gaming is becoming a more social pastime - for both genders.

I know a lot of previously non-gamer guys who recently bought consoles due to heavy tv adverstising. I'd say it's no different for women.

Due to games such as singstar / rock band / lips or whatever, gaming is becoming a more social pastime - for both genders.

Yes and I then said that I was surprised that it had penetrated, as far as it had. Enough to make this particular group even consider it, never mind actually doing it.

I am very much aware of this thank you

• Advertisement

But what's your issue here.

He has not said anything negative about women who currently play games.

Women gamers are part of a big minority (mmmmmmm oxymoron)

And your last sentence above is what the OP was saying, pretty much. It also seems he (and the most people in this thread) would be all for equal sex participation in games.

Vegeta wrote: »
    But what's your issue here.

He has not said anything negative about women who currently play games.

Women gamers are part of a big minority (mmmmmmm oxymoron)

And your last sentence above is what the OP was saying, pretty much. It also seems he (and the most people in this thread) would be all for equal sex participation in games.

Okay, so, should there not be 'Guys buying Games!' threads also? Would people be as surprised by non gamer guys buying games for each other, enough so to start a thread about it?
    I doubt it, I've never seen one anyway.

Okay, so, should there not be 'Guys buying Games!' threads also? Would people be as surprised by non gamer guys buying games for each other, enough so to start a thread about it?

I already said that I would have said the same thing if my father, and his friends, started buying each other games though.

I was commenting on the fairly sudden shift in perception, by women, of games.
    It is not necessarily comparing like with like, saying "guys buying games" would be as a surprised. Most marketing is still aimed at them, blockbuster games are generally still aimed at them and their friends are more likely to put pressure on them to game.

I am sorry that you feel that this is a slight on you or the female gamers, it is not intended to be. Historically gaming has been male dominated and it just came as a surprise not to see girls buying games but to see late 20's "non-game playing girls" buying games, for each other.

Vegeta wrote: »

It would be brilliant actually. Have had some great nights with the lads, with PS/Xbox nights. Much better craic than the noise/expense/hassle of the pub. Would be really cool to have female friends there also.

koneko wrote: »
    A few days ago I was playing MW2 with friends and got called a "slag" by a 12 year old English boy, and that I should go back to the kitchen, lol. I'm well used to it, we take the piss out of those guys and they never have very good comebacks.

It is always good to have beaten someone so much, to have them resort to insults.
    Be it calling you Slag/Paddy/Mick etc. I take it as a compliment on game ability :cool:

I think if less light was shone on it when it did happen,it might be less of a deal.

I know some girls who will not go in to buy a game at all, for the main reason of getting hassle from guys in the shop, or comments from male friends. Anyway, that aside, the general reaction does need to change.

From recent threads on the Ladies Lounge and such places, I firmly believe the perception of women towards games is not changing, however the perception of men towards women who play games is.

There were a lot of posts from girls saying 'I loved x game, and y, and spent hours and hours play z....' and most of the posts from the lads were of complete surprise. So, the perception changed from the point of view of the males.

I think if less light was shone on it when it did happen,it might be less of a deal.

I know some girls who will not go in to buy a game at all, for the main reason of getting hassle from guys in the shop, or comments from male friends. Anyway, that aside, the general reaction does need to change.

From recent threads on the Ladies Lounge and such places, I firmly believe the perception of women towards games is not changing, however the perception of men towards women who play games is.

There were a lot of posts from girls saying 'I loved x game, and y, and spent hours and hours play z....' and most of the posts from the lads were of complete surprise. So, the perception changed from the point of view of the males.

I don't know.
    I have found, both Male and Female, that people who post on internet fora, on a regular basis, are more likely to have an interest in games. If you were to do a comprehensive survey, of the general population, I honestly doubt if you would get this result. This is me making an assumption as great as yours and only based on personal experience.

Again, I have NO/None/Nada/Zip/Zero/Nein surprise that a large section of gamers is female.
    My surprise is in this particular group and others like them, who do not own anything coming close to a Videogame/System now taking to it.

Again, it is a welcome occurance but an unexpected one, to have occured so fast.
    In terms of less of a deal being made of it, anything new generates curious interest. It will fade but there is always an initial surge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Got my OH addicted to civilization iv on pc. She plays it more than me now!

And civilization is a pretty hardcore strategy game.

But she hates going to war and quits multiplayer when I bully her into war Haha. Women.

That is a fair point and a very valid one

Thing is though, if any minority do something not commonly associated with that minority, it will attract attention.

In the case of "Guys" which I take to mean young men, then there would probably not be any surprise, attention or a thread as "guys" are the majority of the market and generally who are targeted with advertising. So it's extremely common and not note worthy.

I would just focus on the nature of the attention, in this case hopefully it is mostly positive (well I know it is in my case anyway)

I genuinely hope gaming becomes a more gender neutral form of media. I think if it does then the general reaction will change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I played UT04, Wow, DoW, Warcraft 3 and Left4Dead online. The most common reaction I got if we had to use chat was that I was a little boy, not a woman :P But eh yeah, girls play games. I'm obsessed with Fallout 3 (late, I know) and Dragon age at the moment. I play CoD MW2 special ops with the boyfriend, who won't play rts games with me now since I kick his ass without fail. In fairness to him, he always at least doubles my kill count in CoD. Fecking glory hunter.

Advertisement