Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cable to wire extension with for UPC?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

My other half's getting an extension done to the house, and wants to put a UPC point so that it can be connected up when it's ready to use.

Do you folks know what kind of cable I should order in. I want to ensure it's cabled now before the walls are finished, just to make it as clean as possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

RG6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Defo get rg6 electricans tend to use rg59 but this is best suited to cctv equipment not tv so rg6 would defo be the way to go

Try get triple screened cable as well bit more expensive but worth it in the long run

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd recommend CT100\WF100 or equivalent sat cable.

bk wrote: »
    I'd recommend CT100\WF100 or equivalent sat cable.

upc is not a satelitte provider?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Bazzy wrote: »
    upc is not a satellite provider?

No it isn't but the cable can be and should be used for both.

In the end they both just send a radio signal down a shielded copper cable. The only difference is the quality of the cable. Using better quality cable would reduce potential interference problems and allow him to switch to sat at a future date if he wanted too *.

Actually rg6 can also be used for sat, but it isn't recommended.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Using better quality cable would reduce potential interference problems and allow him to switch to sat at a future date if he wanted too *.

Actually rg6 can also be used for sat, but it isn't recommended.

Yes and the triple screened low loss RG6 cable upc install as standard is much better than that cable your advising.

OP at the end of the day its up to yourself with cost but i wouldn't like to think i buried cables and they were insufficient for the job in hand triple screened RG6 is what UPC use.... so will leave the decision to yourself.

No point hijacking the thread about different quality cable BK the op wanted to know what cable for upc and that is what they use.

Bazzy wrote: »
    No point hijacking the thread about different quality cable BK the op wanted to know what cable for upc and that is what they use.

Bazzy no need to get personal, we are all here just to help people out, non of us paid to do this or have any other agenda.

I stand corrected, having done more research it seems CT100, while it can be used for catv, RG6 performs better at the frequencies that catv use (10 - 750MHz) while the CT100 variants operate better at the higher frequencies that sat operate at (950 - 2150 MHz).

However I still say if you want to build a flexible set up where you can easily switch between catv, sat (sky, freesat) and aerial then you would be better off with a high quality CT100 variant cable as it is easier to do low frequencies on CT100 then high frequencies on RG6.

Pity Watty isn't around anymore he could give the definitive last word on this subject.

rg6 is used by a lot of sky installers also I have seen it being used in the past and it works fine without a problem

Advertisement