Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Nonsense article] Games 'permit' virtual war crimes

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Link
    Video games depicting war have come under fire for flouting laws governing armed conflicts.

Human rights groups played various games to see if any broke humanitarian laws that govern what is a war crime.

The study condemned the games for violating laws by letting players kill civilians, torture captives and wantonly destroy homes and buildings.

It said game makers should work harder to remind players about the real world limits on their actions.

In other news, zombie films criticised for encouraging people to shoot others in the head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

This just in, PETA is calling for a retroactive ban to be put on all Mario games due to their wanton cruelty to turtles. It was also noted that the game encourages the user to experiment with eating wild mushrooms, which could cause children, whilst searching for turtles to stomp on, to attempt to eat mushrooms which could prove fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

L31mr0d wrote: »
    This just in, PETA is calling for a retroactive ban to be put on all Mario games due to their wanton cruelty to turtles. It was also noted that the game encourages the user to experiment with eating wild mushrooms, which could cause children, whilst searching for turtles to stomp on, to attempt to eat mushrooms which could prove fatal.

Was it not PETA that complained about players "killing" attack dogs in one of the call of duty games there a while back.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The UN 'permits' actual war crimes. I know which one I'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My brain can imagine the most horrific mass genocidal stories this side of WW2. I sure hope no one puts mental block on THAT...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

humanji wrote: »
    The UN 'permits' actual war crimes. I know which one I'd prefer.

That's OK though, as long as impressionable young gamers aren't affected. Won't somebody please think of the children!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

"It said game makers should work harder to remind players about the real world limits on their actions"

If I'm playing as an evil dictator trying to take over the world it would be sort of out of character to say he wouldn't commit a war crime because it would violate international law ...

""Thus," said the report, "the line between the virtual and real experience becomes blurred and the game becomes a simulation of real-life situations on the battlefield.""

I would love for people to back up statements like this. The only time I've ever had experience where the real becomes blurred is while watching a film, where you see actual people (albeit actors) having terrible things done to them.

You are constantly reminded by the very act of playing the game that what you are doing is not real. You have no such reminder in the cinema.

The child shooting scene in City of God effected me far more than any video game I've ever played in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ah the games.Even when it was the immigants I knew it was them games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I look forward to the day the ignorant masses that grew up not playing video games thus havnt a fu*kin, clue die off and are replaced by those of us who've actually played games and understand that...you know... the difference between possible actions in a game and in real life are vastly different things.

Advertisement