Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i been screwed?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Here it goes.moved into a new house recently and hired a fella to fit wardrobes.we went out to his workshop,he gave us a plan and we were happy with the design and paid just over half the total.this was bout 6weeks ago.it toke us longer than we expected to get in so he had to carry on with different work.when i rang him to ask when he could do the job,he said he"d be up the next day.no sign of him,so rang him.no answer.this has been goin on for 2weeks he will only talk thru txt.so far ive been givin 4 different excuses.its so frustratin if he only give me a proper date i woodnt mind.plus antime i wanna call out he says hes not in the workshop.friends have suggested ways to get back at him,but im still out of pocket.
    i dont want to take legal action but it looks like thats my only option.
    any advice please,im at my wits end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 corkfein

thanks for that.do you have any idea how long a small claim takes to sort out.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnmercer

get someone to go round to his place and get your money back

and report him to the police etc

these people are a waste of time and think they can get away with it

go to his house and dont leave till you get your money

if it go to court you may never see your money again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

God thats not very nice of him... I would get one of your friends perhaps to ring him and arrange a time to call up with you in tow, and then walla he is there no excuses, he cant go anywhere then just tell him that you want your money back there and then take no excuse from him you shouldnt be waiting that long and it is bad form to be treating people like that

johnmercer wrote: »
    get someone to go round to his place and get your money back

and report him to the police etc

these people are a waste of time and think they can get away with it

go to his house and dont leave till you get your money

if it go to court you may never see your money again

problem is i only no where his workshop is.im afraid i could loose my temper if i had to sit outside al day waitin for him.
    its a fairly s****y thing to do alright.
    im also wonderin is there anywhere i can name and shame him without me gettin intto trouble?i think every1 in the city should no who this guy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just bring someone else with you who has a cool head...Not a blonde :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

corkfein wrote: »
    Here it goes.moved into a new house recently and hired a fella to fit wardrobes.we went out to his workshop,he gave us a plan and we were happy with the design and paid just over half the total.this was bout 6weeks ago.it toke us longer than we expected to get in so he had to carry on with different work.when i rang him to ask when he could do the job,he said he"d be up the next day.no sign of him,so rang him.no answer.this has been goin on for 2weeks he will only talk thru txt.so far ive been givin 4 different excuses.its so frustratin if he only give me a proper date i woodnt mind.plus antime i wanna call out he says hes not in the workshop.friends have suggested ways to get back at him,but im still out of pocket.
    i dont want to take legal action but it looks like thats my only option.
    any advice please,im at my wits end.

while i sympathise with you.....deposits should never be paid - if a tradesman cannot wait until the work is completed to be paid then this signals, to me anyway, that he's a bluffer - numerous reasons, lack of credit with suppliers, using your money to fund the last job, thereby not having sufficient funds to buy materials for your work, etc etc

if someone is genuine then waiting until the work is completed shouldn't be a problem as he is able to carry the cost of the material and labour.

besides, i'ld hold a small sum (enough so that you can pay for any defects that may occur that he may not return to solve) back until such time as you have carried out a "trial-run"...generally a month or so. again the genuine guy will fully understand this and agree this before either of you commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Milly33 wrote: »
    Just bring someone else with you who has a cool head...Not a blonde :)

yes, like a solicitor or a guard.

sorry to hear OP. maybe give a call and ask for a refund if you haven't tried already ?

if nothing works on your side OP then i suggest the NCA.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    yes, like a solicitor or a guard.

sorry to hear OP. maybe give a call and ask for a refund if you haven't tried already ?

ive asked for a refund,he started blowin on bout cost of material hes bought,storage charges.im off to the shops i handed in my design to get sum answers and his local cop shop.
    i think hes a totally bluffer,cant believe i got caught.im normally very good at spottin these poeple.
    dont think a guard wood go with me.hopefully il have more answers later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

ive asked for a refund,he started blowin on bout cost of material hes bought,storage charges.im off to the shops i handed in my design to get sum answers and his local cop shop.
    i think hes a totally bluffer,cant believe i got caught.im normally very good at spottin these poeple.
    dont think a guard wood go with me.hopefully il have more answers later

Text him stating that unless he either comes around TOMORROW with the money or starts the work, that his name will be all over Cork & the internet explaining what he's doing to you and noone will do business with him.

Tell him he has one chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Please speak English too, it helps us understand you, this is not a mobile phone!!!

Text him stating that unless he either comes around TOMORROW with the money or starts the work, that his name will be all over Cork & the internet explaining what he's doing to you and noone will do business with him.

Tell him he has one chance.

i think if i did that i would be liabil for slander(correct me if im wrong).
    just back from sitting outside his workshop after blocking in his car.(he was at another job i was told)
    he has txted me saying he will refund sum of the money only because he"s paid for material and parts but that not good enough.
    Is he legally in the wrong?
    and is there anyway way i can name him without getting into trouble with the gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i think if i did that i would be liabil for slander(correct me if im wrong).
    just back from sitting outside his workshop after blocking in his car.(he was at another job i was told)
    he has txted me saying he will refund sum of the money only because he"s paid for material and parts but that not good enough.
    Is he legally in the wrong?
    and is there anyway way i can name him without getting into trouble with the gardai?

legally yes he is wrong... off to court !

robbie_998 wrote: »
    legally yes he is wrong... off to court !

Woohoo,cant imagine wat kind of mess this is goin to turn into.
    Dodgy tradesmen should al be lined up against a wall and shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

tell him fine, drop of the material and parts as well as the moeny as it was your money that paid for them they are your materials and parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

I'd take a step back and don't do anything rash

Go to his local Garda Station, this might of happened before, they might know him

Don't threaten with defamation, he'll use that against you in court if it goes that far

Talk to a solicitor (who will ask you for a receipt of payment which I presume this colourful character didn’t issue)

Commision a Solicitors letter

If an agreement isn't reached you should advise your solicitor that you want to go to court, however if your solicitor is experienced he/she may advise that once a solicitors letter hasn't provoked a response the subsequent legal proceedings will potentially be long and drawn out
    In short to answer your queston, yes, you are being screwed

Advertisement