Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying VRT - no ferry ticket?

• 23-11-2009 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Quick question folks..

If someone wants to pay VRT to register their UK car in Ireland, but they have no ferry ticket to prove when the car entered the country, what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

.....But sur what about the people who buy UK cars in N.I.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Or people who buy cars from a guy with a load of cars in his Garden all UK registered.

No ferry ticket there either.

If all else fails, ring your local VRT office. Im sure they are not too busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Quick question folks..

If someone wants to pay VRT to register their UK car in Ireland, but they have no ferry ticket to prove when the car entered the country, what happens?

Nothing, you don't have to prove date of entry to the VRT office. If there's any hassle just tell them you bought it in the north and drove it down. Don't worry they'll be more than happy to take your money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They don't ask, they just process the transaction on the date you go in, provided of course that you haven't been pulled by customs first, in which case the length of time you've had the car in the country may affect how they deal with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks lads.

What needs to be taken in? I'm assuming the V5C, but what else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

your driving licence & PPS No., i think is all thats needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Thanks lads.

Well I had the following:
    • V5C
    • Invoice of the sale of the car from the UK
    • A print out of the VRT quote from ros.ie (the customs guy I dealt with input the details again just to be sure I wasnt pulling a fast one:rolleyes:)
    • Bank draft for the amount required
    • ID (Passport, Driving License etc)

My car was also inspected at the VRO.

Thanks lads.

Some means of making payment. They don't accept cash at all and they don't accept cheques over a certain amount.

Appreciate the advice folks. Sorry for asking to be spoon-fed.. last question, I promise!

If the car has metallic paint, is this considered as an optional extra and thus VRT will cost more than what it says on ros.ie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

How old is the car you are importing? If it is over 4 years old the extras thing generally doesn't matter. I wouldn't volunteer any extras the car has, they can go find that out themselves, they can do this by inspection or by sending the VIN (Chassis number) back to the manufacturer for a report. I'm not suggesting this for tax avoidance reasons, just to save a lot of grief. Metallic paint on some cars is standard & it is a similar story for other types of "extras". Remember the people behind the counter are tax people not motor trade people. Some don't have the first clue about cars, tellign them extra stuff just causes confusion.
    I would also have the two forms filled in when you are going in, I'm sure the person behind the counter will appreciate it.
    - RF100A
    - VRT4

Are you going in tomorrow? If so I'd hold off, they'll be on strike.

• Advertisement

How old is the car? IIRC any extras are depreciated at a rate of 25% per year over the first 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

In the past three years, I have brought in 3 motorbikes, a car and a van. I have never even been asked for a ferry ticket. I just say I brought it in whenever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can bring the invoice/sales receipt and a print out from the VRO site, t make sure you don't get cheated and maybe argue the VRT down.

But essentially, all you need is a full V5, some ID and your PPS number.

The VRO will take laser up to 1500 EUR, they will not take cash, they will not take cheques. Anything over 1500 EUR of if you don't have laser will have to be paid by bank draft.

They do not care, when the car entered the country. If the car is over 4 years old, they don't care about extras and most likely won't inspect the car.

/M

It's a 2008 Corsa 1.2, 5-door.

So should I say nothing about metallic paint until asked then?

rebel.ranter, you gave a link for the motor tax form (thank you). Must I tax it at the same time, at the VRO? I thought that was done after registering, at the motor tax office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

It's a 2008 Corsa 1.2, 5-door.

So should I say nothing about metallic paint until asked then?

rebel.ranter, you gave a link for the motor tax form (thank you). Must I tax it at the same time, at the VRO? I thought that was done after registering, at the motor tax office?

Yes, taxing of the car takes place after you have gone through the VRT process and you can either do this at your local tax office or online (after 24 hours).

Two other thing's to note from my own personal experiences.

Number one, not all VRO's accept laser card. When I VRT'd my car I wanted to pay via Laser but was told they had no method of processing the card so I had to go to the bank for a draft. Ring the branch in advance to see what methods they accept.

Number two, I was actually asked for an invoice as proof of date of purchase the last time I went in. I was never asked for this when clearing my previous cars so it was a bit of a surprise. I just explained it was a private sale so I had no receipt and after a bit of humming and hawing this was accepted.

Must I tax it at the same time, at the VRO? I thought that was done after registering, at the motor tax office?

No, after paying the VRT, you'll be issued with a new irish registration number. You then have to show up at the tax office within a few days and can pay your tax there.

You will also not get a logbook before you show up at the tax office. They'll get Shannon to send it to you.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Marlow wrote: »
    You then have to show up at the tax office within a few days and can pay your tax there.

You will also not get a logbook before you show up at the tax office. They'll get Shannon to send it to you.
    /M

Once you have your Irish Regn, you can initially tax an imported vehicle online at www.motortax.ie and a log book will be issued automatically and mailed to you..

reb73 wrote: »
    Once you have your Irish Regn, you can initially tax an imported vehicle online at www.motortax.ie and a log book will be issued automatically and mailed to you..

True that, saves you the trip to the tax office alright. The password is the last digits of the chassis number.

/M

Advertisement