Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Damage Insurance - Argos

Options
  • 23-11-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

G/f bought a digital camera in argos last january and also took out the accident insurance, this should cover a replacement if it gets broken by accident. The model was Kodak M463 (can't remember the exact number).

Anway, it broke while she was away and she called into argos to look at getting a replacement. She went to the girl and when they looked at the camera it was a different model to what was on her reciept, M493 (i think).

It looks like when she went to collect the camera last january, they gave her the wrong camera and she didn't notice. Now she can't claim because the camera and reciept dont match.

I can see it from the shops point of view, she could be someone chancing her arm but it was the shop who gave her the wrong camera. The 2 models look very similar so without comparing the reciept to the model number, there was no way to tell the difference.

Can anyone give any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I cant see how they cant cover her, Argos often state that if a product is out of stock it may be replaced by a similar model. I suggest putting this to them, when they do so they do not change the receipt just the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Does the accidental insurance cover lost items ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I can see Argos' point, whilst your g/f and you both know that this is the camera Argos gave her no-one else does, to allow a claim would open up to anything.

Simply cannot understand why in supplying an insurance which is specific to 1 product they did not take down the product code from the camera (I mean the serial number not make/model) - effectively if you buy a Canon xxxx then every person you know with the same model is covered by your policy as it is not specific in any way to the camera you purchased.

Therefore, the question, did Argos take down or ask you to register in any way the serial number of the camera you have?

Probably a point to drop a line to the Manager of Argos store in which purchased.

At the very least, get your premium back for the insurance you will not be able to use now!

Finally, if not successful with Argos contact the Insurance Ombudsman (call into the Regulator's office on Dame Street for details) - maybe they can help, they have the power to make Argos' insurance policy pay out.

Hope something here helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bh988

argos do replace an item that is out of stock with similar product.

I can understand bennyob, but if the product was the wrong item in the first place there would of been no problem in the store giving you the correct one u ordered originally.

what colour are the 2 cameras and price??

like if a customer wishes to take replacement cover on a product , it can be replaced for the customer no problem whatsoever once they keep the receipt which states the insurance purchase and item catalogue number and description.

There is probably nothing they can do, as the returned item must match that on the reciept and as you said people may try and chance their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Just a quick update.....

I'm resigned to the fact that there is not much I can do but I have a plan. I am going to buy her the same model for christmas as is on the reciept and use the insurance to cover the new camera. As said in a prev post, by not matching the insurance to the serial number on the camera, they have left themselves open to this.

• Advertisement

bennyob wrote: »
    Just a quick update.....

I'm resigned to the fact that there is not much I can do but I have a plan. I am going to buy her the same model for christmas as is on the reciept and use the insurance to cover the new camera. As said in a prev post, by not matching the insurance to the serial number on the camera, they have left themselves open to this.

sorry,

well on all your receipts there is a date and transaction number. if you get a new camera, the date of the insurance should be on same day of purchase of the camera or up tp 45 days after purchase.
    and they will look at this!

so this will not work out for you.

and as asked earlier.

what are the colours of the two cameras. are they the same??

I wont buy it in argos;)

Yeah, the 2 models came in black but one has a silver stripe and the other doesnt.

Did you try confront them a bout their policy of supplying similar products? It happens so often they cannot claim to be blissfully unawares to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Just a quick update.....

so you plan on giving them a perfectly good camera - so she can claim it on her insurance and get the same camera (again)

oh...re-read your post ... you are getting a camera just so she can use the insurance policy she has ...bit pointless if you ask me - why bother giving them more money....buy a new camera (online) ...it will probably be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Is it obviously damaged or is it faulty? If it is faulty I would buy a new one the same model as the broken one. That gives you 1 year warranty. Bring back the broken one using the receipt off the new one.

Of course if it is obvious damage you can't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I can see it from the shops point of view, she could be someone chancing her arm but it was the shop who gave her the wrong camera. The 2 models look very similar so without comparing the reciept to the model number, there was no way to tell the difference.
    The problem here is how are Argos supposed to know you are actually telling the truth here. You were supposed to make sure you were getting what you asked for and it is going to be impossible for you to prove that you didn't get what you paid for now nearly a year later.

Its pretty ****ty situation but I suppose all you can do here is suck it up to experience.

I picked up a video camera in argos yesterday for my mam. I had chosen the camera myself so I new exactly what it looked like however they handed me a camera and stamped my docket, thankfully I noticed straight away that the camera was the wrong one, actually around €40 cheaper than the one spaid for. Made me think of this thread straight away, mistakes can happen so easily there. I say keep pursuing it, even if you have to make examples of other people known to have received the wrong product like my case yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Try more than one Argos store.

I have tried to find the same model online but no luck, it looks like they are out of production.

I will approach the store again and if i am not getting any help with their customer services I will ask for the manager. I want to put a number of points raised on this thread to him/her.

Yeah it was damaged so not covered by warranty.

Pcphoto, i intended to buy the same model online to use the existing insurance, but can track one down. If things don't work out by the weekend, i'll just get her a new one for the x-mas.

Advertisement