Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to Bake!! :)

Options
  • 23-11-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone

Well I have decided I am going to start to bake, especially since Christmas is just around the corner as it could make a nice addition to Christmas presents to have cookies or something along with them

Now, my first 2 things I am going to attempt are chocolatr truffles and gingerbread men (recipes more than welcome)

The only thing I need though is an electronic whisk, but I dont really have the money for an expensive one. Argos have two for a tenner and under. Do you think that would do or would you suggest getting something for about 20 quid

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boyleal

I got that cheap one in argos before and it's actually perfect for what you seem to want it for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Lidl and Aldi sometimes have them too, I have one from Lidl and it's great, has a good few speeds and has a button for extra bursts of speed, it was 14.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

a cheap one will be absolutely fine, i got mine in dunnes for about 12e three years ago and it's still on the go!

i make yummy chocolate truffles too, christmas pudding ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

If you are going to make gingermen, you could try ginger houses as well. They always look impressive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

tfak85 wrote: »
    a cheap one will be absolutely fine, i got mine in dunnes for about 12e three years ago and it's still on the go!

i make yummy chocolate truffles too, christmas pudding ones!

oh do you have the recipe for christmas pudding truffles!! they sound so cute. found a recipe for chocolate brownie truffles... sound amazing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

DreamC wrote: »
    If you are going to make gingermen, you could try ginger houses as well. They always look impressive :)

baby steps i think! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Well if you are going to make gingerbread, the best recipe is Possum66's Gingerbread!
    If you are only starting baking, perhaps reading some basic tips and hints to save you on disasters and maybe save you some money on ingredients!

If you would like to go low-fat, here's a truffle recipe...

And finally if you fancy some big fat choc chip cookies, try these!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

oh do you have the recipe for christmas pudding truffles!! they sound so cute. found a recipe for chocolate brownie truffles... sound amazing! :D

For christmas pudding truffles, you can use fruit cake as the filling, or make a christmas tea infusion with the cream, or add christmassey spices - cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, mixed spice, etc. There are many recipes out there, so take your pick.

But for the little pudding truffles like the one's they sell in Butler's Chocolate Café, they're very easy to make. After you've made your truffles, just melt some white chocolate (or make a ganache, 2:1 white chocolate:cream.) Add red colouring powder to some, and green colouring powder to another small bit (you can get these colourings downstairs in Kitchen Compliments.) Leave the rest pure white. Then simply pipe on your white chocolate as your "icing", red dots as your holly berries, and green as your holly leaves. Leave to set. Thornton's sell similar ones, and there's another simple recipe here.

Advertisement