Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Meter Problem - Advice needed

Options
  • 23-11-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I recently moved into a new house (approx 7 weeks ago). The landlord submitted a final meter reading & notified Bord Gais of a new occupier. I got my first electricty bill last week and it was incredibly low (€7). I then decided to take a meter reading for myself so I could get the bill corrected. When I compared the meter reading I took to the actual that the landlord had submitted my reading was 25,000 units more!!

I have kept an eye on the meter all weekend and it is not running fast as the units used seem to be consistent with my applicances.

I'm not sure what to do next on this, I feel so stupid for not taking my own reading when I moved in, but I never even thought.

The possible causes for this are:
    - landlord has been consistenly underestimating for years
    - someone else is using our supply
    - the meter has a fault
    - ??

Does anyone have any experience of this? I will ring the landlord tonight, but I would like some opinions of others who may have been in a simmilar situation and can give some advise/feedback.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Contact Bord Gais immediately and tell them exactly what has happened. Contact the landlord as well and let him know that you contacted Bord Gais and perhaps he can provide other readings etc....

Its going to be tricky - always be there to confirm the readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well first things first how in the hell has your landlord opened an account in your name ? That shouldnt be possible :eek::eek:

ring your landlord and tell him what the meter is saying and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Civlov

Sorry, just to clarify - the landlord didn't open an account in my name. He notified Bord Gais that there was a new occupant so the bill was addressed to "new ocuppant" as opposed to my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Civlov wrote: »
    I recently moved into a new house (approx 7 weeks ago). The landlord submitted a final meter reading & notified Bord Gais of a new occupier. I got my first electricty bill last week and it was incredibly low (€7). I then decided to take a meter reading for myself so I could get the bill corrected. When I compared the meter reading I took to the actual that the landlord had submitted my reading was 25,000 units more!!
    Is the electricity supply with Bord Gáis? Are you reading the right meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Victor wrote: »
    Is the electricity supply with Bord Gáis? Are you reading the right meter?
    Good point, at first glance the two bills look similar, i think the most obvious place to check is the top left of the bill which says 'Your Electricity bill' on the electricity one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement