Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Digital Polaroid

• 23-11-2009 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Anybody read much about it or know where I might pick one up? It's the PoGo one that prints straight from a compact.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Well if you give it a couple of months, probably bargain bins in various photo stores once people realise how crap and re-hashed an idea it is. Otherwise, amazon.co.uk seem to have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Well if you give it a couple of months, probably bargain bins in various photo stores once people realise how crap and re-hashed an idea it is. Otherwise, amazon.co.uk seem to have them.

You really don't see it having any potential?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The picture quality is apparently dreadful, the prints are prone to fading and discolouration after a short time, and the batteries last for 10 shots if you're lucky. Plus it takes proprietary patented paper cartridge rendering it useless once polaroid decide to pull the plug which they'll almost certainly ddo at some point.

Its like they've re-invented 600 film, but made it worse in almost every conceivable way. Its actually ANTI-progress :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

The picture quality is apparently dreadful, the prints are prone to fading and discolouration after a short time, and the batteries last for 10 shots if you're lucky. Plus it takes proprietary patented paper cartridge rendering it useless once polaroid decide to pull the plug which they'll almost certainly ddo at some point.

Its like they've re-invented 600 film, but made it worse in almost every conceivable way. Its actually ANTI-progress :D

I think it's appeal lies with the fact that it's a novel take on a much-loved classic and the ultimate 'gadget'. What percentage of compact owners do you suppose print pictures as it is? The majority are just uploaded to Friendface, etc. Sadly, the photo industry is built on proprietary tech, and Polaroid pulled the plug on the initial paper a long time ago (though it hasn't diminshed the fondness people had for the camera). I've also heard the battery is good for 25 prints, not shots.

Should have prefaced this by saying I wouldn't be using it. Intended gift for someone who knows nothing of photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sylvesterallein

Actually, Daire, I have found the quality of the Pogo prints quite satisfactory. I've got some low-quality ones from a phone or two, but pretty good ones from a camera. I think because a lot of people were annoyed at Polaroid pulling instant film, there is a certain prejudice against the Pogo, and I must confess I harboured this too, until some kind person gave me a present of the Pogo and a supply of the papers at Christmas. The pics are really useful if you keep diaries, because there is a sticky back on them. Now Pandigital have got a licence from Polaroid and have produced a printer which prints 4 X 6 - I believe it retails for around $150 dollars, but, of course :( it's not available in Ireland, yet anyway. I saw that someone bought the larger papers and cut them down to fit their Pogo, rendering the cost of Pogo papers, which are not dear anyway online, even more economical. When you consider that there are no inks to buy, just the papers, well, that's an improvement in my opinion, economically as well as environmentally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement