Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do?

• 23-11-2009 3:16pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭

(I'll give my answer later)

Picture the scene: you are driving onto a three lane dual carriageway. Traffic in lane 1 is heavy, lane 2 is busy and lane 3 is light. You make it into lane 3. A car ahead is overtaking traffic in lane 2. Then there is a long gap before the next cars in lane 2 and in theory, the car ahead should move into lane 2 but it doesn't (even after another quick flash).

Traffic moves on and eventually there is nothing in lanes 1 or 2. The car ahead still does not move over and by now both of you (and the cars behind you) are doing about 110km/h (in a 100km/h zone).
    Do you:
    1. move left and stay behind them so as to avoid undertaking them?
    2. move left and proceed to undertake them?
    3. move left and proceed to undertake them but sit on the horn as you do so?
    4. stay behind them quietly?
    5. stay behind them but keep flashing/indicating/beeping
    6. stick on your full beams, sit on the horn and then drive about 2cm behind them?

Would you recognise that you were in the wrong (assuming you did not choose #1).

What would you do? 84 votes

move left and stay behind them so as to avoid undertaking them?
    0% 0 votes
    move left and proceed to undertake them?
    22% 19 votes
    move left and proceed to undertake them but sit on the horn as you do so?
    51% 43 votes
    stay behind them quietly?
    10% 9 votes
    stay behind them but keep flashing/indicating/beeping?
    4% 4 votes
    stick on your full beams, sit on the horn and then drive about 2cm behind them?
    10% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

2 and a quick glare as I whiz past :D
    I understand I should wait for the fekker to move over but if the other lanes are free I would undertake (it's a 3 lanes road after all)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

number 1 is obviously the one I would go for....

Defo wouldn't go for number 5 and then when that doesn't work.. I defo wouldn't take a number 3... but if I did I would include the finger and a lot of high horse head shaking knowing I am right :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Quick flash and if they still don't move undertake them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Having flashed them a couple of times, i'd move to undertake, using the horn to ensure that they were aware of my presence and did not pick that moment to change lanes into my car. If lane 1 was still free i'd use it to put more room between myself and them. I am of course aware that this is illegal, but it seems to me to be the safest and most courteous course of action. As I see it, options 1 & 4 make the obstruction worse, 5 is probably futile and may lead to road rage, and 2 and 6 are dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Being very careful while undertaking. Never use the horn. That might upset a clearly incompetent and ignorant driver with all sorts of possible reactions from him. I'd rather he remained ignorant until I'm well ahead of him :)

You're a very patient man, kbannon. I only make it to the first quick flash. If they don't move, I will. All the time. I've only ever undertaken in this country. Says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I can with good and clear conscience* say that I would move into the leftmost lane, slow down to 100 and watch the fast lane battle from there

* a vehicle that only does 120 km/h flat out and is much happier travelling at 100 km/h will do wonders for your patience and law abidance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You're already over the speed limit so doing anything other than 1 (and slowing down) is only acting the boll0x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Quick flash and if they still don't move undertake them.

I'm guilty of this! I HATE ...mabey hate is too strong a word! But I sure don't like people who don't have the manners/decency/cop on to move over but sure 'tis Ireland.

A bit OT but revelant IMO, on way home from work two weeks ago on the M7 I was in the inside lane. Car passed me then pulled in and a car behind him was passing him out when he caught up to the car in front of him. Instead of slowing down and waiting for the car in the outside lane to pass him he undertook the car by going onto the hard shoulder! :eek: And it wasn't a BMW/Merc driver but VW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 boxclever

Why should the driver move when he is going above the speed limit? The only answer to this is to avoid an accident and let faster moving traffic ahead but It is the traffic behind (you) who is in the wrong

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

boxclever wrote: »
    Why should the driver move when he is going above the speed limit? The only answer to this is to avoid an accident and let faster moving traffic ahead but It is the traffic behind (you) who is in the wrong
    Please read the rules of the road to answer your own question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

But its not up to you to police the roads. Just because your doing the speed limit doesn't mean you don't have to pull over.

Because he's in the wrong lane? The overtaking lane is for overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Really can't believe you, presume your just taking the mick. If you are not then please stop driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I'd move left and get to the speed limit and not speed and break the law

Poll added (I should have done this initially!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I would actually go for no.1 if it's a 100km/h stretch of road, unless there was an emergency in which case 2.

Last time I tried option 5 (just a flash) the idiot in front decided that meant to do an emergency stop in the outside lane of the M50. Thankfully nothing was on the inside lane so I ended up doing option 3.

Option 4 makes you just as bad as them, IMHO, and option 6 is just asking for it.

Bazzy wrote: »
    read the question again then please.
    Traffic in lane 3 was already exceeding the limit so you were already breaking the law.

Bazzy wrote: »
    How about if the offending car is also driving at the speed limit? You then become half of a two-car rolling roadblock.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Option 6 sounds like me.

If there is someone sitting out in a lane like that, they're quite obviously asleep, and they deserve a good kick in the hole, never mind someone flashing their lights at him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I usually just go to undertake. I'll often stay behine them for a little while so they can see me. Don't usually flash - if they carn't see the car behind flashing the lights will usually make sfa difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'd move to lane 1 and let someone of you lot who're in the queue behind me and itching for a fight sort out the driver in front out. Once the obstacle is cleared I'd move right to overtake any debris left from the encounter, moving back to the left as soon as it is clear :D.

Seriously though, one flash, if that doesn't wake them up, I'd pretend they are not there, move to the left most lane that is free and continue about my journey unimpeeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

JHMEG wrote: »
    You're already over the speed limit so doing anything other than 1 (and slowing down) is only acting the boll0x.

110 indicated on the speedo is probably only 100-102 anyway so not "really" over the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Can't really vote on the poll, since I use more than one of those options. I usually pull over to the driving lane, and stay behind. On a two lane road, this is often enough to remind people how to drive.

However, extended douchebaggery in the overtaking lane will eventually see me pass on the left. Life is too short.

I don't like to beep or flash people though, too great a risk of startling or infuriating the driver ahead, who may do something even more dangerous as a result.

Zube wrote: »
    I don't like to beep or flash people though, too great a risk of startling or infuriating the driver ahead, who may do something even more dangerous as a result.

Indeed. I flash (once) but from a safe distance. Maybe I shouldn't bother as it typically has results maybe only 2 or 3 out of 10 times.

I'm amending my answer.
    Since we're doing 110 on a 100 road I'll slowly and safely make my way to the empty lane 1.

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. I flash (once) but from a safe distance. Maybe I shouldn't bother as it typically has results maybe only 2 or 3 out of 10 times.
    It does serve to educate drivers, IMO - i've noticed a marked improvement in motorway competence over the past few years. Mind you, it seems as though the six-lane stretches have brought many people straight back to square one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

After waiting patiently behind them and flashing them once or twice, I would
    kbannon wrote: »
    2. move left and proceed to undertake them

Would you recognise that you were in the wrong (assuming you did not choose #1)

Absolutely, but that's my perogative and if I'm caught undertaking or speeding, I'll take it like a man.

Right, almost 18% of you would do what I did - #3.
    Anyhow, the driver in front would not move left when they had the perfect opportunity.
    I moved left into lane 2 and was in the process of passing them and I blew the horn (hard). I then moved into lane 1 when the other car (a 08 Mondeo - burgundy I think) moved left into lane 2 and briefly stuck on its blues - aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww crap!

I slowed down expecting to have to pull over and the car seemed to slow down also. He then started gesturing downwards with his left arm and I have no idea what he was screaming (it did in fact appear extremely irate).

As I was driving along in lane 1 at the speed limit he sped up to about 120km/h and moved back into lane 3!

Anyhow, I dunno whether I will get done for it (speeding/passing on left/etc.) but I have to say that I am glad that I did what I did. I will also acknowledge that whilst I possibly shouldn't have flashed, sounded the horn or flashed (twice) none of my actions could be deemed as excessive.

But, to watch him disappear off on the rightmost lane of a 3 lane dual carriageway when there was nothing in front, I seriously felt like catching up with him again and doing it all over again!

I have great respect for the gardai but this I can't help but think that this fella shouldn't be driving! I'm not saying that my actions were correct (before the high horse possee stampede in), but surely a garda can understand lane discipline?!? Is it too much to expect them to be professional when working rather than losing the head at other drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'll take it like a man.

Must....resist....urge....to.....make.....smart.....comment;)

• Advertisement

Don't worry, you can always counter with being Mod for Motoring :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Was he being "bait" do you think kbannon?

Excellent thread btw!!!

kbannon - Did you get the reg? I'd be writing a letter.

No reg - I was so pissed off at the time over it that I didn't think of getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Anan1 wrote: »
    kbannon - Did you get the reg? I'd be writing a letter.

To whom? And what would you write in that letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Anyhow, the driver in front would not move left when they had the perfect opportunity.
    I moved left into lane 2 and was in the process of passing them and I blew the horn (hard). I then moved into lane 1 when the other car (a 08 Mondeo - burgundy I think) moved left into lane 2 and briefly stuck on its blues - aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww crap!

I slowed down expecting to have to pull over and the car seemed to slow down also. He then started gesturing downwards with his left arm and I have no idea what he was screaming (it did in fact appear extremely irate).

As I was driving along in lane 1 at the speed limit he sped up to about 120km/h and moved back into lane 3!

Anyhow, I dunno whether I will get done for it (speeding/passing on left/etc.) but I have to say that I am glad that I did what I did. I will also acknowledge that whilst I possibly shouldn't have flashed, sounded the horn or flashed (twice) none of my actions could be deemed as excessive.

But, to watch him disappear off on the rightmost lane of a 3 lane dual carriageway when there was nothing in front, I seriously felt like catching up with him again and doing it all over again!

I have great respect for the gardai but this I can't help but think that this fella shouldn't be driving! I'm not saying that my actions were correct (before the high horse possee stampede in), but surely a garda can understand lane discipline?!? Is it too much to expect them to be professional when working rather than losing the head at other drivers?
    For those who may end up in a similar situation: I had a very similar experience last year, except I didn't flash (but was going c. 20 k/h over the limit on a 2 lane dual carriageway). I *did* get pulled and got two points for my trouble (five if I unsuccessfully challenged). Note that there is no penalty point offence for undertaking so I seem to have been done for dangerous undertaking. I'll leave it at that as the incident involved a Boardsie who had the balls to admit it at a Motors Meet (to much hilarity!) - water under the bridge and all that..... I will admit to driving a bit more restrained since then though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Number 3 and throw a dirty look at them as i pass

*Kol* wrote: »
    To whom? And what would you write in that letter?
    To the relevant person in the Gardai, a quick google should find that out. I'd ask why a Garda car was being driven in the overtaking lane on an otherwise clear motorway.

Edit: FWIW, I think kbannon's only sin here was not recognizing an unmarked Garda car. The same thing happened to me a few years ago on the M50, but at least I have the excuse that the Garda in question was driving his own private car. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Anan1 wrote: »
    To the relevant person in the Gardai, a quick google should find that out. I'd ask why a Garda car was being driven in the overtaking lane on an otherwise clear motorway.

I would love to see the response to that letter!!

*Kol* wrote: »
    I would love to see the response to that letter!!
    So would I!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I was always under the impression that whilst on duty, the Gardai are exempt from traffic laws. Or something like that. No doubt Niceguyalways will be along shortly to sort it out

• Advertisement

I was always under the impression that whilst on duty, the Gardai are exempt from traffic laws. Or something like that. No doubt Niceguyalways will be along shortly to sort it out
    They are exempt from many traffic laws but that does not entitle them to drive in a stupid manner unnecessarily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

The auld three lane set-up leaves Irish drivers very confused altogether.

Every morning I go from Ballymun to Blanchardstown on the M50, travelling in the left lane, undertaking cars on the two right hand lanes, because they are retarded enough to think they are perfectly correct in staying in their lane, regardless of speed.

I can't understand how motorway driving, especially the three lane variety, is not covered in the driving test.Madness IMO.

And don't get me started on people who indicate right when going straight through roundabouts:eek:

JCDUB wrote: »
    I can't understand how motorway driving, especially the three lane variety, is not covered in the driving test

Because you're not allowed to drive on a motorway until you pass your test. Not even with a fully qualified instructor in a dual control vehicle. Stupid or what? :rolleyes:
    JCDUB wrote: »
    And don't get me started on people who indicate right when going straight through roundabouts:eek:

And don't get me starting on people who indicate left when going right at roundabouts :rolleyes: :mad: /sorry for OT :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Picture the scene: you are driving onto a three lane dual carriageway.
    :p (Sorry couldn't resist)

I picked #1, undertaking at over the speed limit is taking the p1ss really. We all make mistakes but I'd expect to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Move left and proceed to undertake them, accompanied by flicking them the finger if they start flashing the lights or blowing their horn. Nothing more annoying than some high-and-mighty idiot trying to berate someone for doing something illegal when they are just as guilty themselves at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You're already doing 110 in a 100km/h zone. Undertaking the car ahead of you would imply that you'd be going even faster, ie breaking the speed limit, so Option 1 ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

T-Maxx wrote: »
    You're already doing 110 in a 100km/h zone. Undertaking the car ahead of you would imply that you'd be going even faster, ie breaking the speed limit, so Option 1 ftw.
    You're already breaking the speed limit if doing 110 so whats another few km/h :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Number Two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I voted option 2: move left and proceed to undertake the lane hogger, however under the proviso that I would first check for any unmarked Garda cars lurking in the nearby vicinity. :D

No point in flashing/sounding the horn as you're only getting yourself stressed. Too many idiots out there that aren't worth the stress.

I wouldn't expect to receive anything in the post tbh. The gesturing was just a warning to slow down, I think.

Advertisement