Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amr Zaki says he wouldn't work with Israelis and Algerians

• 23-11-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

best line ever:
    some Arab Muslims do not see eye-to-eye with Israelis.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Should be fun at the next game to see scores of xenophobic, anti-semitic, prejudiced idiots deriding him for being a xenophobic, anti-semitic, prejudiced idiot... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He worked with Steve Bruce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Because Lord knows an Egyptian Arab would have absolutely no reason to hate Israelis. Fair play to him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Because Lord knows an Egyptian Arab would have absolutely no reason to hate Israelis. Fair play to him

fair play to him? nonsense, I understand racial and national hatred but I have no reason and I would think you have no reason to support it.

Last time I checked Grant and Ben-haim's hands were clean, and out of politics. Having a go at Belhadj too? That's pretty cheap aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A nice facepalm for Bubs101

wenger-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

orourkeda wrote: »
    He worked with Steve Bruce.

...Why The Face?

mayordenis wrote: »
    fair play to him? nonsense, I understand racial and national hatred but I have no reason and I would think you have no reason to support it.

Last time I checked Grant and Ben-haim's hands were clean, and out of politics. Having a go at Belhadj too? That's pretty cheap aswell.

Bubs actually makes a fair point here and as usual someone has got upset........... there is still a lot tension between the nations because of their history. Zaki is obviously sticking to principles he has for a REASON. This thread is a waste of time. We'll just have people arguing that he has a right to do something like this while people will be jumping on the usual emotional wagon saying that it is wrong when either side can't really comprehend the situation at all.

mayordenis wrote: »

Well i've studied that area in fair enough depth and I would completely agree with anyone from Egypt, Syria or Jordan who refused to work with an Israeli for political reasons. Grant was a former manager of the Israeli national team which is enough IMO. And personally now, when political correctness has run rampant and most footballers would welcome a move to a bigger club with more money and status I'd applaud someone for coming out and refusing to move to a club based on legitimate political reasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well i've studied that area in fair enough depth and I would completely agree with anyone from Egypt, Syria or Jordan who refused to work with an Israeli for political reasons. Grant was a former manager of the Israeli national team which is enough IMO. And personally now, when political correctness has run rampant and most footballers would welcome a move to a bigger club with more money and status I'd applaud someone for coming out and refusing to move to a club based on legitimate political reasons

I think if Real Madrid had Netanyahu as their Manager he couldn't give a flyer, he would bite their hand off. Bottom team in the Premier League is less of a draw. Also, he is childish and petty, not choosing to play for a team because it also has an Algerian in it? Politically, can you explain how the Algerians have oppressed the Egyptians? Or is it because he has spat his dummy after an unpleasant experience in the world cup?

Its not a legitimate reason, its a political reason. He plays football. So if lets say Liverpool made him an offer no sane player would refuse should he cos Yossi Benayoun plays for the club?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He says himself in the article he previously turned down Portsmouth for other reasons (they're crap) and now he's turning them down again because they hire Jews and Algerians (and they're still crap). He also repeatedly failed to show up at his previous job in Wigan - hardly a pillar of principles or a bastion of moral rectitude.

And it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Pompey are better off without him anyway.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its not a legitimate reason, its a political reason.

Jesus Mike, I normally agree with most of what you post but that is insane. If you have a person who is an eco warrior and they get offered a job by Shell or Esso are they going to take it. Obviously not for political reasons. Would a Kurd take a job working alongside former members of the Ba'ath party, probably not for political reasons. Political reasons can be some of the most legitimate reasons there are depending on how strong the player feels about it. I doubt Di Canio would ever play for Livorno or Lucarelli or Igor Protti would ever play for Lazio for political reasons
    He plays football. So if lets say Liverpool made him an offer no sane player would refuse should he cos Yossi Benayoun plays for the club.

Yes, if he feels that strongly he should. Somethings are more important than money, particularly if your a football player who already earns enough
    dooferoaks wrote: »
    Politically, can you explain how the Algerians have oppressed the Egyptians? Or is it because he has spat his dummy after an unpleasant experience in the world cup?

Algeria and Egypt have bad blood stemming from the French annexation but I don't know too much about it so I can't get into any details. In footballing terms the teams hate each other stemming back form an incident in 88. Was covered in depth in a Guardian podcast a few weeks ago but there's a reason their game on Wednesday had 1 police officer for every two fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Esse85 wrote: »
    Pompey are better off without him anyway.

True. His attitude is rotton and he is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Dancor wrote: »
    True. His attitude is rotton and he is crap.

His attitude is terrible alright but he is not crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'd say Zakis comments are cover and he just doesn't want to join the bottom club in the PL and fancies a move to somewhere higher up the table.

Good to se anyway that the the boards.ie soccer forum Jewish lobby has found its voice. We must never forget the holocaust, but must forget indiscriminate killing of Palestinians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Does he like Yebda? :D Last time I checked he played for Algeria no mention of him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'd say Zakis comments are cover and he just doesn't want to join the bottom club in the PL and fancies a move to somewhere higher up the table.

Good to se anyway that the the boards.ie soccer forum Jewish lobby has found its voice. We must never forget the holocaust, but must forget indiscriminate killing of Palestinians.

Would jew believe it?

Jewish Lobby? Fupps sake, how about the "don't be stupid little bigot Amr?" lobby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bit of a thread title fail there too Mike ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I would understand if there was a French player at the club. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

to be honest i would find it difficult to work with an Israeli*, nothing to do with religion or race just the way they allow their country to be run. for example

http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1129433.html

and i can imagine muslims have a much harder time...

*just to be clear, because i would be constantly arguing with him/her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Politics and football doesn't mix.....
    I think its a ridiculous statement to make TBH
    Political reasons? Dont make me laugh....

to be honest i would find it difficult to work with an Israeli, just to be clear, because i would be constantly arguing with him/her

:confused:
    Have you ever talked to an Israeli or met one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Fecking Egyptions.

/I jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

to be honest i would find it difficult to work with an Israeli*, nothing to do with religion or race just the way they allow their country to be run. for example

http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1129433.html

and i can imagine muslims have a much harder time...

*just to be clear, because i would be constantly arguing with him/her

Would you work with someone from a muslim country considering how they treat women and homosexuals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Its not a legitimate reason, its a political reason. He plays football. So if lets say Liverpool made him an offer no sane player would refuse should he cos Yossi Benayoun plays for the club?

i keep forgetting yossi is israeli. i used to hate him years ago as he always played really well against ireland!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

To be honest i can see where he is coming from and Bubs has covered it pretty well, very odd of him to come out and say it but if he does indeed feel that strongly about it so be it.

The thing is it's irrelevant how we feel about israelis. We aren't in the position that the arabs are but think of the ridiculous animosity a large amount of people have about 800 years when it wasn't an isolated case at the time and nobody alive can remember it. Now imagine how that animosity would be if it happened 50 years ago, the British took over parts of ireland (and no, don't mention Northen Ireland) while the most powerful nation effectively encouraged it. This isn't racism, it's a justified grudge

This isn't racism, it's a justified grudge

Last time i checked, Portsmouth was in England.
    Holding a few people accountable for their nations wrong doings when in fact has nothing to do with them = ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So are we kicking it out or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

dsmythy wrote: »
    So are we kicking it out or not?
    only if it suits, i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I heard Keith Andrews was all set to sign for Barca in January but now won't cos Thierry Henry and Eric Abidal are there

Damn right too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I heard Keith Andrews was all set to sign for Barca in January but now won't cos Thierry Henry and Eric Abidal are there
    I heard he would because Diarra plays for Real Madrid

What a silly silly thing to say.

I don't agree with America's occupation of Iraq, would i refuse to work with an American? No.

I don't agree with Britains occupation of NI and attrocities commited in this country for 100's of years, would i refuse to work with a Brit? No. Oh and guess what I even have British friends.. crazy i know.

I'd sooner work with a Muslim over somebody who refused to work with people because of what nationality they are.

Everyone knows Zaki's attitude stinks, i can't believe people are defending him. Political stance my arse, seems to me that he just doesn't fancy playing for a poor side in England that much.

Maybe you should look at the post i was responding too before you jump in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Maybe the Irish should stop playing with the English for similar reasons, in fact why are they playing this foreign game anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

patmac wrote: »
    Maybe the Irish should stop playing with the English for similar reasons, in fact why are they playing this foreign game anyway?

sure what have we got against the Scots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Maybe you should look at the post i was responding too before you jump in

Sorry, i'll hold my hands up there, must pay more attention! :o

Sorry, i'll hold my hands up there, must pay more attention! :o

No prob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

if you knew more of political reasons, then i'm sure you would agree he has his reasons.

there are reasons why an Israeli, would not play with a muslim.

In my opinion, he should not discriminate on nationality, if Grant and Ben Haim were known as pro-occupation to Zaki then I would support him, if not and they had no political affiliation then Zaki is acting badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Should be fun at the next game to see scores of xenophobic, anti-semitic, prejudiced idiots deriding him for being a xenophobic, anti-semitic, prejudiced idiot... :rolleyes:

Anti-Israel does not necessarily mean anti-semetic.

Its not often the modern footballer chooses personal beliefs over cash. He's decision may seem weird, "stupid", or drastic to some people, however, I see it as a peaceful way to highlight an important issue i.e Israels apartheid like system.

Didn't the world refuse to work with South Africa during the apartheid?? Same difference if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I'd applaud someone for coming out and refusing to move to a club based on legitimate political reasons

Is it a 'legitimate political reason' to refuse to work with any Israeli or am I missing something about Avram Grant or Ben Haim's own personal veiws on Israel's recent activities? Would it be legitimate if Avram and Ben Haim were vocal opponents of their country's actions or is one legitimately allowed to assume a political veiw to the citizen's of a particular country?

Should any Vietnamese, Afghani or Iraqi players legitimately refuse to play for Fulham or Villa because Clint Dempsey and Brad Friedel play for them? Or should a Northern Ireland Catholic legitimaltely refuse to play for any English club or foreign club with an English player..?

Am I missing something aboiut the personal veiws of Avram/Ben Haim, or is the quoted statement utterly ridiculous?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

For what it's worth (and sorry for my late response) after I made a fairly blunt, unbacked-up point early on. I am fully with him on the political side of this however on a personal level I believe what he said is something I would expect of a 15 year old RAhead scumbag in Ireland about english people - Avram grant, and any algerian or isreali playing football should not be a deciding factor in where he plays his football.

Football is something that has and is trying to transcend National and Racial hatred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

drkpower wrote: »

Should any Vietnamese, Afghani or Iraqi players legitimately refuse to play for Fulham or Villa because Clint Dempsey and Brad Friedel play for them? Or should a Northern Ireland Catholic legitimaltely refuse to play for any English club or foreign club with an English player..?

Attempting to compare 3 conflicts involving the USA to the Israeli/Arab troubles is ridiculous on any level.Oh Ireland had a longer timeframe of troubles but, pales so much in comparison, using that is kinda cringeworthy too.If he feels it's of his opinion to act this way considering the circumstances then nobody could question them.

I think it's bizarre in a few ways but trying to ridicule it seems more puzzling.We know what's happen/ed/ing there and why nothing is been done about it and if he wants to bring attention to it in a 'peaceful manner' then fair balls to him if that's the motive....

I personally wouldn't work with anyone from the north pole, pesky elves just can't be trusted.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

d22ontour wrote: »
    Attempting to compare 3 conflicts involving the USA to the Israeli/Arab troubles is ridiculous on any level.Oh Ireland had a longer timeframe of troubles but, pales so much in comparison, using that is kinda cringeworthy too.If he feels it's of his opinion to act this way considering the circumstances then nobody could question them.

I think it's bizarre in a few ways but trying to ridicule it seems more puzzling.We know what's happen/ed/ing there and why nothing is been done about it and if he wants to bring attention to it in a 'peaceful manner' then fair balls to him if that's the motive....

Im not really trying to directly analogise the USA or UK situation. We could talk for hours about how analagous or not they are.

But my point stands; is it legitimate to boycott a citizen of a country because of your veiws of that country's policies without any actual reference to the individual's own veiws on that policy? It seems patently ridiculous to me. An individual should never be discriminated against because of the actions of his nation. If Grant/Ben Haim actively or tacitly support Israel's actions, then perhaps its a different story, but what I seem to be seeing here is a veiw that they can be legitimately be targetted for the actions of their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sounds pretty xenophobic to me tbh. If it was just Israel I would still disagree with his stand but would understand it a little more. The fact that he mentions Algeria as well just sounds like bigotry to me.

Its an ignorant standpoint, whatever the injustice, whatever the politics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement