Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy recall/training

Options
  • 23-11-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm trying to decide whether to take our puppy (4 month old golden retriever) to obidience classes at dogtrainingireland and could use some opinions. He went to puppy preschool at our local vets and is well socalised. He can sit, lie down, shake, rollover and even play dead :D The problem is his recall. When he's off the lead he gets distracted and often runs up to other dogs to play with them and get pets off their owners :pac: When I call him back he keeps running to them and I end up going over and collecting him. If he's just with me fetching sticks etc he'll come back no problems and at home if we call him from another room etc he'll come to us. Is the recall something that will improve as he gets older or should I take him to the classes to work on it where he's confined - instead of both of us running across the park!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

If you are able and willing I'd go to classes, my fella is fine apart from when there are "distractions" can be a right pain, if i get the chance i will go to classes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'll report back if we go! They also cover leave it/take it which might come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I've just completed a four week course in dog training Ireland. My four month old reacts exactly as yours does when she sees people when she's out and although most people are nice that might change when she's a fully grown Rottweiler. Anyway I thought the course was really good, Brook can now sit, stay, lie down, keep eye contact while distracted, leave / take it, walk nice on the leash and has a good recall. I've always trained my dogs myself but as Brook is a rottie I wanted to make sure her training was perfect and I found the little tricks and techniques they give you are invaluable.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just back from a walk with him and he had my arm pulled off - so definitely signing him up!! It's impossible to train him on the lead - the garden is too small and outside everyone coos over him and comes over to pet him all the time! :D Also we bumped into another puppy and they were jumping all over each other - usually the older dogs won't play with him so it'll be good for him to go along and have some puppy play time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

if you find he's pulling a lot ask DTI about their sensible harness, i found it fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

lrushe wrote: »
    I've just completed a four week course in dog training Ireland. My four month old reacts exactly as yours does when she sees people when she's out and although most people are nice that might change when she's a fully grown Rottweiler. Anyway I thought the course was really good, Brook can now sit, stay, lie down, keep eye contact while distracted, leave / take it, walk nice on the leash and has a good recall. I've always trained my dogs myself but as Brook is a rottie I wanted to make sure her training was perfect and I found the little tricks and techniques they give you are invaluable.:)

Why not share a few of the 'tricks' with the rest of the class ;)

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Oh god so many things its hard to post it all. I thought letting the dog self correct was good, for example if your dog pulls on the leash you can use this trick - have your dog on its leash and throw something tasty just out of reach, the dog will naturally pull to get the food, after about a minute of pulling the dog will realise he is getting nowhere and slacken the tension on the leash, at this moment tell the dog to 'take it' and allow it to get the treat. After a few repetitions the dog will learn to correct itself when pulling on the leash without you having to give any command. Works a treat!!!
    They also taught me to be more attentive to the signals Brook was giving me, for example when she was unsure of something she would look at me, the trainer called this 'checking in'. I was told to reward her ever time she 'checks in' with me so even if she is out on a crowded street her attention will alway be on me, I found this v.helpful also.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I was also looking at dog training ireland... until I found this closer to home:

DSPCA

hope it's some use to people in this thread

Advertisement