Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N97 Mini or iPhone or ??

• 23-11-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

So here am I looking looking to upgrade my Nokia E51. I am thinking of the iPhone or the N97 Mini. I might consider the N97, but it's an extra €100-€110. Also reading the threads I see the N900, but looks like it will come into the market at an absurd price. So here I am looking for some advice. Get the N97 and deal with the odd phone freeze or wait until at least the new year for the N900 or get the iPhone. I have tried a iPhone breifly and wasn't too keen on the touch text tying but I might get used to it. I also found the navigation through the menus tricky...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

HTC Hero maybe? Bargain on Meteor at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well nokias are not as good as they used to in mine opinion...

so i would better choose between HTC hero and iphone bud.

Htc looks like to be a bargain atm, but problem is its not polished as iphone is...

But hey, htc hero is open source android OS, which has prety good feuture...

I am actually in same boat bud, between iphone and htc.. I would love to get iphone more iguess, but paying 450eu for one on adverts, when brand new coming up with warranty for 520eu.... madness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Cheers, I'm on Pay Monthly as I like the Wi-Fi option.Haven't looked into the HTC, must do some reading, (Upgrade- The HTC is €50 on Vodafone. The N97 Mini is €199, N97 is €299 VF also), really not sure, I know the iPhone is good as a lot of people have it but I just don't think it's my cup of tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Back to the usual question - what do you want to do with your phone?

Rather than focus on price and specs, functionality should be first on your mind. Then look at cost/upgrades/etc.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Rather than focus on price and specs, functionality should be first on your mind. Then look at cost/upgrades/etc.

Mainly a good sturdy phone, Wi-Fi, email, Easy sync with home PC apps

Hope this helps,
    Cheers

* What features are important to you in a phone? (i.e. camera, gps, FM radio, Stereo Bluetooth)
    I would like to have a decent camera. N97 has 5MP and iPhpne 2MP. I like the Wi-fi feature my current Nokia has, FM radio is also a preferance along with Bluetooth

* Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.
    I have always had a 'candybar' form factor and I'm not keen on the the slider or flip phone. The feel of the N97 is nice

* Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE
    Wi-Fi is a nice bonus, important but not essential

* Operator - have you an operator preference
    Currently on VF, would like to avoid Meteor, although they have improved thier network so it may be an option. Most of my friends/family are Vodafone though

* Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either
    Bill-Pay, Current upgrade options

* Price range
    Upto €200, would really rather not go above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'm presuming you're on an upgrade with VF? I'd definitely go with either the Sony Ericsson u1 (12.1mp camera) or the Samsung (Vodafone 360) H1 (5mp w/autofocus and flash, as well as ISO and anti-shake settings). The H1 has FM,bluetooth etc... as well as a 16gb harddrive, GPS and an OLED screen. The Nokia's are muck until they switch from symbian, web surfing on them is cack and the screen is a bit washed out.

Tom Dunne wrote: »

jimi_t wrote: »
    The Nokia's are muck until they switch from symbian, web surfing on them is cack and the screen is a bit washed out.

Cheers,

Apparently Nokia have switched to Maemo 5 for the N900. Which is still not released and will cost many €€€€ !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dohc95coupe

i have the same problem as batman2000 but mine isnt as difficult i will be getting mine of the wife for xmas :) i am using an e51 at the moment and mostly just check emails and buy crap of ebay :( what im really asking is it to much of a phone to get for what i will be using it for

Just got the N97 Mini and really liking it. I think I prefer it the iPhone

/ listens as many gasp in horror! /

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Personally I think the Samsung H1 is a disaster: if you find the Iphone difficult that thing is worse!! I'm a fan of both the N97 and the N97 mini: best of both worlds really! Also the SE U1 (Satio) is a gorgeous phone... fantastic camera... and if camera is important it is 12 megapixl as opposed to 5 for the N97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

sony ericsson c902
    i have one its very good
    ui is a bit slow but u get used to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

cyning wrote: »
    Personally I think the Samsung H1 is a disaster: if you find the Iphone difficult that thing is worse!! I'm a fan of both the N97 and the N97 mini: best of both worlds really! Also the SE U1 (Satio) is a gorgeous phone... fantastic camera... and if camera is important it is 12 megapixl as opposed to 5 for the N97

Wouldn't touch a Satio. It's been withdrawn from sale by carphone warehouse in the UK owing to the amount of returns and crippling bugs the device has, which incidently can't be fixed by a FOTA update. SE and Nokia are loosing ground every month and they really need to improve their QA on these devices. Like the look of the forthcoming X10 but i've zero confidence in SE ability to deliver a stable device.

edit. I also think the idea of a 12mp camera on any of these phones is a joke. It's just marketing rather than any indication of any real quality. A 12mp sensor is just going to introduce noise -not to mention file size- onto a lense that can't cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Wouldn't touch a Satio. It's been withdrawn from sale by carphone warehouse in the UK owing to the amount of returns and crippling bugs the device has, which incidently can't be fixed by a FOTA update. SE and Nokia are loosing ground every month and they really need to improve their QA on these devices. Like the look of the forthcoming X10 but i've zero confidence in SE ability to deliver a stable device.

Well... A caveat: ironically it's the unbranded Satios that were withdrawn!!! It seems for once the networks' branding has improved a phone. I'm not saying that is a 100% fact, but that is what it looks like and what cpw say according to media reports.
    I've used a Satio over the weekend, helping a friend settin it up for his gf, and I've found it utterly stable. Nice phone. Missing hardware keyboard aside, it beats the cr*p out of the n97s imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

batman2000 wrote: »
    Just got the N97 Mini and really liking it. I think I prefer it the iPhone

/ listens as many gasp in horror! /

congratz buddy, hope you like it. I just got yesterday Samsung tocco ( not lie) for misses. And she is very happy. I am actually impressed with that thing... I thought i am buying very basic yoke for her ( she liked the style of it), but it appears that it has some really cool feutures! 5mb camera with flash, autofocus, face blah blah blah. Decent menu, music player and list goes on and on!

Ill try to get it connected to internet for her, there will be even more stuff !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I got a Mini last week, and have had nothing but trouble. I loaded my contacts from a 3 year old Razr (names and nos only) and got a "Memory Full" message when I tried to send a text. Since than it has hung continuously. Rang the helpline, they told me to check for software updates. Checked from the phone - tells me I have the latest software. The Nokia site does not list any updates for the Mini, only the N97. My ver is 10.0. I'm looking for a replacement, but recon I should have held on for the N72 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Ive my N97 five months now & I think Im just fed up with it....strongly considering the switch to iphone.....its just been disappointment after disappointment with the N97 & I find myself telling people whenever asked that its "just not half as good as it should be"

Im new to the whole iphone game though, I know about the unlocking & jaibreaking etc....is it poss for me to walk in & buy a brand new 3GS for the €609 on SPeakeasy & then get a friend to unlock & jaibreak it?
    Or have O2 Ireland got it covered in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Pulse8 wrote: »

Im new to the whole iphone game though, I know about the unlocking & jaibreaking etc....is it poss for me to walk in & buy a brand new 3GS for the €609 on SPeakeasy & then get a friend to unlock & jaibreak it?
    Or have O2 Ireland got it covered in that area?

Yes Indeed you can do that, But my advise buy used from adverts pre week 40, which will give you full jailbreak and specially new iphone could be around next year, no point in going for new one IMO.
    Thats what i did, coming from previous N97 owner.

Advertisement