Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane close to sack at Ipswich Town FC (Mod note - OP and #44)

• 23-11-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Please read Mod note

Reports in the media this morning are claiming that Town boss Roy Keane is close to being sacked as manager at Portman Road. The former Sunderland manager could, according to reports from several media sources, face the axe this week after Town have managed just one win in 17 league games so far this season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yeah, I saw that. I reckon he'll stick it out until he's sacked - he won't want to get a repution for being a quitter.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's all John Delaney's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ipswich say no, but then again, thats always whats said just before the sackings...
    Championship strugglers Ipswich Town have dismissed reports that Roy Keane is on the brink of being sacked as manager.

Speculation had claimed that Keane had met with Town chairman Marcus Evans and chief executive Simon Clegg over the weekend to discuss his future.

There were suggestions the meeting would result in the Irishman's dismissal, but Ipswich insist Keane remains in charge at Portman Road.

A club spokesman said: "Reports in the press this morning that Roy will be sacked are complete rubbish.

"There were no meetings over the weekend and Roy remains in charge."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The only thing that baffles me is what is taking them so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

great_success.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i dont like how it seems that many want Roy Keane to fail, but hey to each their own. Personally id love to see him turn it around there and have what borat is talking about above.

and im sure Ipswich would prefer if he walked as then they would not have to pay compensation which im sure would be quite a bit for a championship club to fork out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw that. I reckon he'll stick it out until he's sacked - he won't want to get a repution for being a quitter.............

I think that ship has long since sailed. Ireland, Man Utd, Celtic, Sunderland ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Can't wait till the day he does get sacked if he does.
    I ain't a fan of this guy.
    Sorry to the people that are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Delighted. The man is an ape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Sacked !.... You mean he is not Quitting ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Here's hoping. Would be glad to see him out of a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Great. Look forward to this idiot instilling fear in the fans of any club that he is linked to - exactly like Souness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

It's all John Delaney's fault.

And the grass wasn't cut properly.

I wonder has Keane tore into many of the players yet?

(I mean physically)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

it won't be long now before roy gets his P45. his comments last friday was a massive own goal in terms of publicity, while it may not be true to say he is bitter i'm afraid he came across as such. however this has nothing to do with his ability as a manager.

he has spent perhaps 3 years under brian clough & 10 under ferguson, unfortuately he doesn't seem to have learned much from them. i saw the game against sheff weds online - dire would be too kind a word to use in describing the level of performance. he is so tactically naive it's not funny, simply lash the ball up the pitch all day, bypass midfiled (who needs them!:pac:) and hope something comes from knock down. his man management skills are famous - what skills? falls out with everyone. although he was a great player that alone does not qualify you to be a great manager. it doesn't look like it will work out for him in club management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Warper wrote: »
    The only thing that baffles me is what is taking them so long.
    Must be a legal issue i'd say because on pure management of a football team the guy should have been gone weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think thet'll stick by him for another while yet. Just for the record Keane didn't quit Ireland (dismissed), Utd (let go) or Celtic (retired) as stated above

If he is let go he could have company after tomorrow nights european games legal issues or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

The Muppet wrote: »
    I think thet'll stick by him for another while yet. Just for the record Keane didn't quit Ireland (dismissed), Utd (let go) or Celtic (retired) as stated above

If he is let go he could have company after tomorrow nights european games legal issues or not.

No idea about United and Celtic but he walked out on his country no matter which way you dice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

They should keep him at the club. He's doing a great job at Portaloo Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If he is let go he could have company after tomorrow nights european games legal issues or not

Who's that referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't think Ipswich could afford to pay Keane off tbh. If it was any other manager I've no doubt that they would have been shown the door a long time ago.

Keane will leave before he gets the sacked I think but if he leaves again it's hard to know what club could trust him and offer him a job.

I don't think he's a good manager at all and I think the Championship is out of his depth and it shows.

Who's that referring to?

I preferred your initial reply, it gave me a good laugh. Thanks

Bandit12 wrote: »
    No idea about United and Celtic but he walked out on his country no matter which way you dice it.

Do you really want to go there after all this time. Mick said he sent him home, that's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I preferred your initial reply, it gave me a good laugh. Thanks

Your welcome, I'm sure you agreed with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

<- Shouts random abuse at Keane

I too would like him to turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Hi 5 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

How badly is he doing ? I know they are in the relegation zone and are obviously not winning but in terms of what did he inherit, how much has he spent, are they playing any bit of decent football ?, Any rumblings from players?
    Haven't really paid too much attention to it championship this year, especially Ipswich but it can be a treacherous division.
    Not Keanes biggest fan to say the least but that would not mean I hope he fails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't think he's a good manager at all and I think the Championship is out of his depth and it shows.

Hello???

Did he not win the Championship title a few years ago? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

How badly is he doing ? I know they are in the relegation zone and are obviously not winning but in terms of what did he inherit, how much has he spent, are they playing any bit of decent football ?, Any rumblings from players?
    Haven't really paid too much attention to it championship this year, especially Ipswich but it can be a treacherous division.
    Not Keanes biggest fan to say the least but that would not mean I hope he fails.

The team were performing much better then their results were showing, its a little bit like they have forgotten how to win lately, they lost a lot of late goals and the confidence to hold on to a lead doesnt seem to be there,but if they can win a couple in a row they will be fine, i would hope he gets the season to show improvement anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

"Is that a retirement watch?
    Can ya not wrap it up..? I'm doin' an interview here
    At least put it in your pocket
    That's manners for ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

his problem just seems to be hanging on to winning leads, they've let leads slip in a lot of matches and ended up gettin only the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Boggles wrote: »
    Hello???

Bought it more like but thats another days work :D

In Roystons own almost prophetic words ''what goes around comes around'' enjoy the walks triggs ;)

Mind you Ipswich used to be good under Magilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    his problem just seems to be hanging on to winning leads, they've let leads slip in a lot of matches and ended up gettin only the draw.

Agree, and I know the buck ultimately stops with him, but i truly believe its become a psychological bock for the players and it will be a test of his man management skills to get them feeling confident enough again to go on and win a couple of games.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone want to have a little party? Or would little Royston give out about that for being unprofessional?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

kryogen wrote: »
    it will be a test of his man management skills

DOOMED!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What did Roy say? What goes around come around, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

He gets no sympathy from me. I always liked him as a player and thought initially that he was learning the skills of a manager really well. However, now all I see is a bitter and twisted man and this is not a recipe for a successful manager. Every manager needs some amount of bitter and twisted in them but they need to control it. I have my doubts about Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

What is it with soccer players from Cork?? I think Keane is lacking something upstairs????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Do you really want to go there after all this time. Mick said he sent him home, that's good enough for me.

McCarthy was given absolutely no choice after the way Keane acted and after his comments which were not just lousy to the manager and a quite a number of lads in the team but an appalling insult to the Irish diaspora in England.

• Advertisement

CCCP^ wrote: »
    McCarthy was given absolutely no choice after the way Keane acted and after his comments which were not just lousy to the manager and a quite a number of lads in the team but an appalling insult to the Irish diaspora in England.

Of course Mc Carthy had a choice, He could have chosen to manage his players properly and not to orchetrate evens in such a way that what happened was inevitable.

The FAI at the time issued a press release stating that Mc Carthy had sent hime home, Mick himself said the same in his press conference. The genesis report vindicated Keanes complaints. The facts are well know by now, some would rather ignore them and berate one of the greatest players ever to don the Irish Jersey, this is Irealnd after all.

Hear for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And that'll be the end of the Saipan chat. We're not going down that road......again.

Cheers

Boggles wrote: »
    Hello???

*tumbleweed*

Em.... yes he did....... but em.......

/runs away.

What is it with soccer players from Cork?? I think Keane is lacking something upstairs????

He lacks patience and you need patience sometimes for your players as a manager. Yes results aren't the best but instead of Roy's usual tactic of yelling and knocking things over, he should be patient and the results will come.

It's good to criticise players in private to spur them on to actually want to play but to do it in the public eye is bad management IMO.

If he stays until the end of the season, which I doubt tbh, he won't get them relegated but I think they'll be in the mix a little bit. It's positive that they haven't lost in a while but they need to turn those into draws and the players look low on confidence.

I'm interested to see who he'll bring in when the transfer window opens.

He lacks patience and you need patience sometimes for your players as a manager. Yes results aren't the best but instead of Roy's usual tactic of yelling and knocking things over, he should be patient and the results will come.

It's good to criticise players in private to spur them on to actually want to play but to do it in the public eye is bad management IMO.

If he stays until the end of the season, which I doubt tbh, he won't get them relegated but I think they'll be in the mix a little bit. It's positive that they haven't lost in a while but they need to turn those into draws and the players look low on confidence.

I'm interested to see who he'll bring in when the transfer window opens.

Presuming he's still there, of course.

Presuming he's still there, of course.

I've no doubt he will be there. I don't know if Ipswich can afford to pay him off. No doubt his contract came at a high price.

I've no doubt he will be there. I don't know if Ipswich can afford to pay him off. No doubt his contract came at a high price.

Maybe he'll throw a strop and walk out???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Even Trap was saying recently that the modern player has to be treated different and Souness mentioned it also, in fact did Souness not say that he's not interested in management anymore because of the changing attitudes of players?
    Ruling with an Iron Fist just doesn't wash anymore.

Somebody mentioned earlier that Keane has spent a lot of career being managed by Clough and then Fergie. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe he's trying to emulate them too much by being the tough guy. Or maybe he's just sh1t? Ha :D

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Even Trap was saying recently that the modern player has to be treated different and Souness mentioned it also, in fact did Souness not say that he's not interested in management anymore because of the changing attitudes of players?
    Ruling with an Iron Fist just doesn't wash anymore.

Somebody mentioned earlier that Keane has spent a lot of career being managed by Clough and then Fergie. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe he's trying to emulate them too much by being the tough guy. Or maybe he's just sh1t? Ha :D[/QUOTE]

This.

Maybe he'll throw a strop and walk out???

You know he'll walk out when he starts growing a scruffy beard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement