Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why were the city and council ok with Basements in a flood plain?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Just from a common sense point of view why would someone approve a Basment carpark for the Kingsley and basement areas for the county hall,victoria mills countless others i cant think of , I know this was a very bad flood but that area has seen it this near this level before .
    Why are they approving basements on floodplains?

Ucc glucksman gallery stored all their art in the basement on a floodplain !
    Mardyke arena right next to the river that building should of been built at a higher level day one .
    County hall archives are servers in the basement of a flood plain good call there !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

The land the kingsly is built on should never of been built on. Even the dogs on the road know that area floods bad every year. Whoever gave permission for that carpark should be shot.

Another reason is that land was gifted to the people of Cork by its last owner. The council had no right to sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

Give us back our Lee Baths.

God is on our side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

If You ever had to Deal with some of the Personnell in the Planning office, you would understand perfectly as to how easily these sort of decisions were made. I once had a planner tell me I could not build a 6 Foot fence on top of a raised embankment because that was "a Hypothetical Situation" .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

yeah building an underground carpark beside the kingsley was insane! that photo of it filled to the top is scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

I wonder were there many cars parked overnight in the basement. Write offs obviously but if they did not have comprehensive cover, would they stand any chance suing the hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Kinsley was a nightmare and so was the art gallery in UCC!!! It's crazy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

MONEY-185_299104a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Doesn't the new Dunnes Stores building on Patricks St also have a basement. The grocery dept is located there. All perishable items!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You're right OP, its a crazy situation. If anyone should be held accountable for this disaster, it should be the bureaucrats and engineers who allowed these places to be built where they are. At the very least they should not be allowed to practice their professions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Cork is built on 21 islands, the location of the city as a whole is a disaster. It is only compounding the problem with all the reclaimed land & underground carparks.
    The whole Penrose Wharf area is reclaimed, it used to be where cattle ships bound for Manchester & Liverpool used to dock, now it is one less place the water can go.
    I would also seriously question the Clarion hotel underground carpark, as well as all those mentioned previously. How, how, how can these things get planning but a one-off build has to jump through hoop after hoop over one septic tank!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Leeside wrote: »
    I wonder were there many cars parked overnight in the basement. Write offs obviously but if they did not have comprehensive cover, would they stand any chance suing the hotel?

Heard that there were some lovely brand new cars down there - Audis and VW's. Unloaded them off a transporter the day before according to another poster on here - new dealership was opening on Orchard Road??

Cork is built on 21 islands, the location of the city as a whole is a disaster. It is only compounding the problem with all the reclaimed land & underground carparks.
    The whole Penrose Wharf area is reclaimed, it used to be where cattle ships bound for Manchester & Liverpool used to dock, now it is one less place the water can go.
    I would also seriously question the Clarion hotel underground carpark, as well as all those mentioned previously. How, how, how can these things get planning but a one-off build has to jump through hoop after hoop over one septic tank!

€€€€€€€€€ thats how they get permission

Heard that there were some lovely brand new cars down there - Audis and VW's. Unloaded them off a transporter the day before according to another poster on here - new dealership was opening on Orchard Road??

From what I heard the cars were loaded beck up on the transporter Thursday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

MONEY-185_299104a.jpg

oh so true...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

rotinaj wrote: »
    From what I heard the cars were loaded beck up on the transporter Thursday evening

Well from the blog on the Kingsley it said "Audi were having a car lauch over the the few days and again this turned in to disaster for them before it began, again they were so understanding and extremely helpful as were all our guests. Go raibh mile maith agaibh go leir!!!"

Page as follows: http://www.kingsleyhotel.com/modules/blog/FullPostView.aspx?Postid=5&treeid=116

Hope they did get the cars out of there... but glad to hear no one was hurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 curious321

I hear this was the first flood of any kind at the Kingsley or the city Hall. Is this correct??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Lee Fields floods every year but I never knew it to reach all the way down to where the Kingsley was.
    Word on the street is that there is structural damage to the hotel now caused by them being prevented from pumping out the water and conducting clean up work before insurance assessors got there for Audi.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Aee you sure about that ?

The infrastructure all seems to be dating back to the railway age and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

parsi wrote: »
    Aee you sure about that ?

The infrastructure all seems to be dating back to the railway age and beyond.

That's correct. I was amazed when I found out in First year Archaeology. They still don't know when they were filled n.

Ah. I didn't know that.

However that does imply that it was done a long long time ago (maybe the same time as the SOuth Mall) and not in the recent past (as r.r would seem to imply) ?

• Advertisement

D-Generate wrote: »
    Word on the street is that there is structural damage to the hotel now caused by them being prevented from pumping out the water and conducting clean up work before insurance assessors got there for Audi.

Complete and utter horse**** re the reason being they had to wait for Audi insurance assessors.

Re the opening question, any one who though basement were a good idea anywhere within 100 yards of the Lee is a complete moron, countless City Hall engineers should be gettig their walking papers due to the incompetence and sheer lack of common sense displayed. I have seen engineers in American Multi National get sacked over much less.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Can we keep the supposition to a minimum please

I think we need to look beyond the Planners (who were being screamed at by their Minister to be more development-friendly, more business-friendly) to other players.

Who in their right mind would commission an expensive gallery building only feet from the South Channel - at water level separated by a very small levee ? Who in their right mind would design such a building ? Who would decide to store their works of art in the basement of such a building ?

Who in their right mind would decide to build an underground carpark in an area notorious for flooding and who would accept the design commission ?

I walked through UCC a few weeks ago and was very surprised to see how close the Glucksmann was to the water compared to the Mardyke Arena which had a running track between it and the water.

Advertisement