Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tools - where to get them

Options
  • 23-11-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So, I started wood-turning recently and have a lathe, chisels, etc...

The two things I want next are a hand drill (power drills don't have the precision, bench drills cost a lot) and a hand planer (to be honest, I prefer non-power tools when power tools aren't necessary).

So, can anyone tell me where to find either or both of these things in Dublin?

Thanks for reading,
    mid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

McQuillans on caple st i'd imagine have em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

When I started out in woodworking I bought from McQuillan's and Richard Gough's; good enough places to start. That said (and this may be seen as unpatriotic) I now almost exclusively buy online, from the likes of Axminster, Rutlands, Dick tools, Dieter Schmidt etc. Irish tools dealers (in my experience anyway) mainly cater for the building trade; if you want fine woodworking hand tools you have to buy from overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

I would suggest a visit to Goughs, off Capel st, Mc Q not so much.There is a very good tool supply out in Rathcoole too.I think the name is Eagle or Hawk.I came accross it last year and was surprised at the quality tools they stock.I'm not sure why you find power drills dont have the precision.Try using a variable speed on low, with a high torque setting to avoid grip slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AidanBoland

i would buy this drill, very good value for money
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/makita-bhp452rfwx-18v-li-ion-celebration-combi-drill-1-battery-with-free-bitset-p4032

edit: sorry misread your post, just saw that you don't want power tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 midacr

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies

D.Craftsman - I was mistaken about power drills not being precise enough. I wasn't speaking from experience, just making what seemed to be a reasonable assumption.

AidanBoland - That looks pretty good, but is well outside my price range.

I retrieved an old record hand planer from my mother's attic, now I have to rehabilitate it :)

As for the drill, can anyone please tell me if this will be any use? I'm aware it's not going to be the greatest, but that's around the limit I can spend at the moment. Can I get much better at that price?

• Advertisement
Advertisement