Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register domain and move hosting elsewhere

Options
  • 23-11-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

I know its fairly simple to register and host but for various reasons I want to register a domain anonymously and the best price I can find for this is on A but immediately want to move hosting elsewhere to B where hosting costs are cheaper then A.

Once I get confirmation from A that the domain is registered is it as easy as going to B and clicking transfer domain? (which most hosting sites seem to have a button for).

As the site will be anonymously registered will site B who dont seem to currently offer anon registration, ask for details of the registrant? or is that a "they might or they might not depending on the site" question

TIA.

note: hope Im not breaking the guidelines by talking about hosting and registering as Im not mentioning any specific names, mod feel free to delete if it is and apologies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Hi there

Once you initiate a transfer and provide the EPP transfer code, the admin-contact listed on the domain's whois will get an email and have to agree to the transfer. Providing they agree, it will transfer across within 7 days.

However, if you register a domain with registrar A, you generally won't be able to transfer it to registrar B for the first 60 days (or there will be transfer fee).

Also, if registrar A offer you free whois protection, this will probably be deactivated the moment you transfer it to registrar B.

Hope that answers your Qs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

There is no need to move the domain - you can have a domain registered in one place and the hosting in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Two things:

1 - if you use proxy registration ie. whois privacy it won't move with the domain if you transfer it elsewhere

2 - you can't transfer a domain for the first 60 days of registration

and as already pointed out, you don't need to move the registration - just update the nameservers

*echo* *echo* ;)

o/j Michele

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    *echo* *echo* ;)

o/j Michele
    Read my post

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    Read my post

It just seemed to repeat what was already said.

It just seemed to repeat what was already said.

Read it again - the OP specifically asked about WHOIS

Also, if registrar A offer you free whois protection, this will probably be deactivated the moment you transfer it to registrar B.
    Blacknight wrote: »
    1 - if you use proxy registration ie. whois privacy it won't move with the domain if you transfer it elsewhere

Again, it just seemed to repeat what was already said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Oh good Lord people, knock it off.

Advertisement