Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop to TV

• 23-11-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭

(Hope this is in the right section)

Just wondering if any of you knew the name of the chord that enables you to use your tv as the screen of a laptop. Like if you have a movie on your laptop that you could use this chord and it shows it on a tv screen.

Hope Im being semi clear...Im sure one of you out there must know what Im on about

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the TV and the laptop, but the three most common are S-Video, VGA(RGB) or DVI and HDMI. I've also seen Coax-out and SCART-out :eek: on some older laptops.

The HDMI cable is the only one that will also play the sound through the TV. Dunno how many laptops come with an HDMI out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Hope you don't mind me butting in OP this
    TV from Lidl,although it's says it can be used as a monitor,would there be any issues, my 19 inch monitor's max resolution is 2048 x 1536,the TV is 1366x748, almost half. Although I don't use the monitor at the max,would there be a noticeable difference in quality. Also my card is capable of duel monitor setup,would the TV be ok for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,221 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

C#.

Oh you mean Cord. :D

Take a look at the Ports section of this thread and see if you recognize your laptop's output. This will give you the name of the one you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on the TV and the laptop, but the three most common are S-Video, VGA(RGB) or DVI and HDMI. I've also seen Coax-out and SCART-out :eek: on some older laptops.

The HDMI cable is the only one that will also play the sound through the TV. Dunno how many laptops come with an HDMI out though.

Thanks a million for that!

I need to get a VGA one. Would have been nice to of had sound too, but If I have to then Ill just get some speakers. Hopefully will go get the chord tomorrow...any idea on prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

ashlingm wrote: »
    Thanks a million for that!

I need to get a VGA one. Would have been nice to of had sound too, but If I have to then Ill just get some speakers. Hopefully will go get the chord tomorrow...any idea on prices?

Count the pins/holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Cork Skate wrote: »
    Count the pins/holes

Is it not standard on a VGA port to have 15 holes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

seamus wrote: »

If your laptop has a DVI port get a DVI-HDMI adapter and with the right drivers you can get sound through the TV, also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

A simple audio cable from your headphone socket on your laptop to your tv will cover the sound issues for you if getting a connecting cable that doesn't cover sound as well as picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Right, before I start, I do some representation work for this company, so if a mod wants to delete please do.
    www.q-waves.com have a product that allows you see computer to TV wirelessly.
    They're already in second week since launch the it's the best selling streaming product in PC World UK and Play.
    Will be available here within the week on Elara, and early December in a number of stores, won't go over-selling it as yet.
    It would appear to answer your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,221 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ghosttown wrote: »
    Right, before I start, I do some representation work for this company, so if a mod wants to delete please do.
    www.q-waves.com have a product that allows you see computer to TV wirelessly.
    They're already in second week since launch the it's the best selling streaming product in PC World UK and Play.
    Will be available here within the week on Elara, and early December in a number of stores, won't go over-selling it as yet.
    It would appear to answer your question.
    If you wanna hold your hand up and tell us youre a rep I dont see the problem.

Not selling stateside huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

hi Overheal,
    We plan to, but not this quarter, didn't put enough receiver / transciever chips in the pipeline to meet demand, hadn't planned on the BBC iPlayer and the like increasing demand so much this quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

USE vga out to vga cable .cost.15euro approx.4 Sound use 3.5mm audio to 2 rca audio lead,cost 4 euro, from pc audio line out, aidio out 3.5mm green connector.90PERCENT of laptops have vga or dvi out.Google pc vga connector image.
    I think dvi is video out ,no audio.WITH that tv use vga in ,use the recommended pc resolutions as stated in manual
    ,at refresh rate 60megahrtz,graphics card ,adaptor output.eg 1024x768,720x576.etc
    eg for tv use it uses differing resolutions for hdtv,sdtv and PC VGA INPUT.
    most HDTVS have 3or 4 recommended safe pc resolutions for pc vga input,

ie too high res or refresh rate can damage a tv.
    my hdtv uses 50 0r 60megahrtz max refresh rate for pc input thru vga or hdmi connectors.
    ie if you use 1200 x1000 res you might damage the tv tube.

see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

and here http://www.ask.com/bar?q=image+vga+port+pc&page=1&qsrc=121&dm=all&ab=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.videohelp.com%2Fforum%2Farchive%2Fwhat-s-the-tv-resolution-when-plugging-a-pc-to-the-vga-port-of-an-lcd-tv-t335433.html&sg=zD80dwnflLWHnYoRG%2BA1VAyyPIqaHpZpfuAhvgVN96o%3D&tsp=1259084904928
    LAPTOPS with hdmi ports cost 600plus.
    va cable here http://www.composants-pc.com/images/cable_VGA.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

You can buy a VGA-to-scart cable on ebay for under a tenner, if your tv doesn't have a VGA input.

I use my VGA-to-VGA cable coz my tv has a VGA input.

You can only use HDMI cable if your laptop has HDMI output and your tv is HD, obviously.

Advertisement