Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake ESB Staff.

Options
  • 23-11-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Just a warning to everyone. There have been a number of houses called to in Balbriggan today with a man and woman in ESB high viz vests claiming to be ESB staff. They were asked by the residents for ID which they could not provide.
    Please be vigilant with eldery neighbours or relatives who these scum prey on. Do not let anyone inside your house who claim to be ESb , Bord Gas etc without them showing ID.
    Gardai have been notified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What reason did they give, that they were calling to the houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

They mentioned something about trying to confirm name and address of person living in the house. Spoke to ESB and they confirmed there was nobody in Balbriggan today calling to houses and also that they dont call to houses to confirm peoples names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

nice work OP.

lets not rule out it might not only be North county Dublin but other parts of the country too !

be aware.

for me tho... any of those idiots that come near me get a door slammed in their face :pac:

That sounds well dodge. You would think they could come up with something a bit better than that! :D Good to see they were caught out though, i don't think a genuine person would mind being asked for the card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

thanks for the tip off,Ill print off a notice and put it up in Firneds of ASD/ADHD , to be on the safe side, cheers
    Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

also, in the early days I left stuff out. I noticed that sometimes it wasn't collected and left sitting there all day. I think they do this also to see how many hours a day your house is unattended - leaving a bag outside is like a beacon for them, and also other unsavories who might happen by.
    I also hate when the leaflet and newspaper delivery guys don't put the stuff right through the letter box - again a nice big signal to opportunists that your house is unattended!

In regards to OP - thanks for the heads up, and well worth noting and passing on.
    They might not be scoping out the houses though - they could be reps for other electricity companies. I worked for a service provider once, and we heard of reps from a rival company got hold of jackets that our guys wear. They were calling to houses asking what is your acc no and confirm your address - this was a way for them to find out who was with a competitor, and then give them the opportunity to 'win' them over to their own company!
    There are so many scams for so many reasons out there, you just need to be aware at all times!
    Hopefully it was something misguided like the reps and not thieves looking for an opportunity, but either way its always best to be vigilant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Another thing that happened on my estate - in Swords - last week.
    Two men in a car stopping outside peoples houses. One guy goes in and asks for water for the car because its overheating. You give him water and off he goes.

One guy said he didnt answer the doorbell. Next thing he hears his nack gate opening and someone is trying to open the patio doors, so he went out and yer man asked him for water for the car and then left.

2 houses were cleaned out that they. Residents got talking and told each other about these guys and thats how we figured out who it was.

If anyone knocks on your door asking for anything just say no and film them if you can and call the cops. Im betting someone will be robbed that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

The wife had a caller yesterday in Drynam in Kinsealy puporting to be russling up business for the local Milkman (didn't know we had one). When the wife said she'd think about it and could she have details like the phone number etc he got very pissed off and refused to give her them. She now thinks he was just checking to see if anyone was home as he didn't seem to knocking on doors were people could clearly be seen in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

kooli what part of swords are you in?
    There is so many robberies going on in swords at the moment its scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Another thing that happened on my estate - in Swords - last week.
    Two men in a car stopping outside peoples houses. One guy goes in and asks for water for the car because its overheating. You give him water and off he goes.

One guy said he didnt answer the doorbell. Next thing he hears his nack gate opening and someone is trying to open the patio doors, so he went out and yer man asked him for water for the car and then left.

2 houses were cleaned out that they. Residents got talking and told each other about these guys and thats how we figured out who it was.

If anyone knocks on your door asking for anything just say no and film them if you can and call the cops. Im betting someone will be robbed that day.
    Hmm! Making me think we had a close escape now :eek:

A guy called about 2 wks ago on a Tuesday afternoon and had a clipboard and said he as doing "market research" and when asked who he couldnt say, so he was told thanks but no thanks and the door was promptly closed.

Who the fcuk does market research these days door to door :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I think if people are experiencing randomers coming to the door saying they're selling stuff/market research/checking electricity etc. and are suspicious, they should alert the Gardai in the area. It probably is people casing out the joint. And if they don't get you, they'll get someone's house down the road.

Have to say the Gardai were pretty quick to come to a neighbours house that was being broken into while occupied a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, their sirens (duh!) scared the scumbags away.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

Now that I think about it we've had people coming to the door in the last month, trying to sell 4 sheets of xmas wrapping paper for 8 euro. It was to support a kids christmas party in the area. But when asked what area I was told " just around the area you know! " Ehh.. no i dont know. They didnt know where to party was going to be or anything. :rolleyes:

Sizzler wrote: »

Who the fcuk does market research these days door to door :confused:

Few big companies still doing it, like that calling door to door unannounced but they will have ID from the company and should tell you their name without you even asking for it.

When you open the door they are meant to say "im bob from superior market research".

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Something akin happened in Joe May's pub in Skerries last summer - but did not give it much serious thought. Four guys with clip boards got out of a red car outside and came in and approached people saying they were selling lines for 'drug awareness'. The person who approached our group was holding a clip board with a very tattered sheet of lines on it, as if it was rubbed away.

Were a bit wary about giving away an address while out in case the gaff was burgled later!

Anyway, most people are aware of drugs and know where to score!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

cbreeze wrote: »
    saying they were selling lines for 'drug awareness'.

Jaysus they could have chosen their words a bit better dont ya think ha ha ha :D

On a side not to this, fingal coco issued a press release:
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

THIEVES IMPERSONATING COUNCIL OFFICIALS

Thursday 17th December, 2009

Fingal County Council has been notified of a number of incidents that have occurred recently in the Blanchardstown, Swords and Balbriggan areas of the
    County, where persons with criminal intent are impersonating Fingal County
    Council officials in order to gain access to peoples’ homes with the intention of stealing valuables or cash. On some occasions, these persons have attempted to force their way into the house.
    Home owners who have reported this to the Council have stated that the perpetrators posed as officials from Water Services Department who needed access to their home to turn off the water supply, and claimed to be carrying identity cards. Other callers have reported that these persons claiming to be from the Council are offering to provide services i.e. to clean cobblelock at a cost.
    Fingal County Council is advising home owners to be extremely vigilant if they are
    confronted in the above manner. Before answering your door you should take the following steps:

· Check to see if there is a van with the Fingal County Council logo on it (see logo).
    · Ask for the person’s full name and ring Fingal County Council on (01) 890 5000 to confirm he or she is who they say they are.
    If you cannot confirm the above, the advice is not to open your door and to report
    the incident to Fingal County Council.

For further information please contact Ann Murphy, Assistant Communications Officer,
    Fingal County Council T: 01-870 4453 / M: 087 990 8470 E: ann.murphy@fingalcoco.ie
    ENDS 17/12/09

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Files/Council/IMPORTANT%20NOTICE%2017.12.09.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There's been an inordinate number of Burglaries in Malahide too, four houses on one road done over in the space of a month or so I'm told. Be vigilant folks because they'll do anything - in one case the 5-lever locked front door was forced with a crowbar, and barricaded with a sofa from inside.

Scary stuff. Scum of the earth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Just a heads up incase they come your way, we had 2 asians ( man and woman ) claiming to be from the EHB doing a survey asking what we know about swine flu then switched the patter to religion . They were sent packing.
    It happened in the Dublin 15 area.

Apparently a lot of houses done in the Glassmore area of Swords recently. Don't know if the fake ESB callers had anything to do with it but I know a lot of elderly people live up around there so maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Update on this issue from the Fingal Indo:

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/descriptions-issued-on-confidence-tricksters-2010337.html
    Descriptions issued on confidence tricksters

By Robin KIELY
    Wednesday January 13 2010

GARDAÍ have issued descriptions of two men believed to be 'confidence tricksters' who have been burgling the homes of elderly people in recent weeks.

Criminals posing as charity workers or council officials have been targeting vulnerable properties, gaining access through deception and stealing valuables and cash.

Incidents have been on the increase in recent weeks and gardaí have named two suspects wanted in connection with the crimes.

'The first suspect is 5'7 in height, of slim build, 24 top 26 years of age, with a round face and is clean shaven,' a garda spokesperson said. 'He spoke with a Dublin accent, wore dark clothing and was well spoken. The second suspect is 5'5 in height, with dark hair and is approximately 21 years of age.' Last month, Swords gardaí warned of a number of criminals operating in the area, going on the pretense they were collecting for charity.

'They ask to use the toilet or engage in conversation, distracting them, while an accomplice goes around the back, into the house and rummages for jewellery or cash,' a senior garda said.

'In once instance, they knocked at a door and asked a lady if they could use their toilet. They then went upstairs and took a substantial sum of money.

'We are warning elderly people in particular that there are confidence tricksters going around. Genuine callers and traders have no problem in providing photographic identification and organisational details.

'If people have elderly parents or relatives, we would ask that they keep an eye on them and make them aware of the situation.'

Fingal County Council received reports of criminals impersonating officials while attempting to gain access to homes, some of whom were carrying false IDs. Home owners said some perpetrators had posed as water service workers, claiming to need access to their houses to turn off the water supplies.

'Fingal County Council is advising home owners to be extremely vigilant if they are confronted in the above manner,' a council spokesperson said.

- Robin KIELY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jetsetwilly.

Warning - 2 lads called to house today in pinegrove (Swords) saying they were collecting for "drug awareness".

Warning - 2 lads called to house today in mooretown (Swords) saying they were collecting for "drug awareness".

What time did they call at??

I know it's OT, but I loved that game when I was younger! *look to username*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jetsetwilly.

Just before 2pm.
    They went from pinegrove to mooretown

Advertisement