Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill Purchase

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I'm with your husband on that one - running outside is way (and I mean WAY) better than running on a threadmill.
    But after being mugged last christmas by a giant killer pothole, i'm begining to see the light of running indoors during winter ;) (I live in the sticks too and the roads are some of the worst in Ireland)

Anyways, if anything pops up with the threadmill, i'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

thinking of just going and buying one, a few different ones in argos, any advise would be welcome, a few weeks ago was running 5km, but with the weather i've make excuses, really miss it, so just going to get one......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Thumper,
    Not too sure if you've looked into it much but here goes in case you havn't

• Length is good for stride/speed, so a small length is only good for walking
    • A good make is your friend - personally i'd like a precor, but the 7K price tag is too much. I settled for a horizon ^see above
    • make sure you don't buy a clothes horse (i.e. unused threadmill) ;- a gym costs alot less than a threadmill, maybe a good start to see if you like running!
    • research will help you aviod a costly mistake.
    • best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shinbreaker

Triangle wrote: »
    I'm with your husband on that one - running outside is way (and I mean WAY) better than running on a threadmill.
    But after being mugged last christmas by a giant killer pothole, i'm begining to see the light of running indoors during winter ;) (I live in the sticks too and the roads are some of the worst in Ireland)

My husband saw your reply before I did and told me everyone says running outside is better. He forgot to mention the giant pothole! I ran outside last year during the Summer and did enjoy it. All the neighbours thought I was mad! But then they were all interested to see how I got on in the few races I did! I reckon this time of year the only way I'll keep it up is on a treadmill. I have a few friends running on treadmills at the moment and I have to saw I am impressed with the results, both their times and how they are toning up! My goal is to run next years BUPA in under 60 mins and to be a stone lighter. I'm sure that'll make my husband happy! I have emailed some friends and cousins and we're going to have a competition to see who can run it the fastest! Obviously I'm excluding my husband and buddies who have previously done it sub 45mins!
    I've been checking out treadmills online for a while now and I reckon the Horizon at €799 is not a bad deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Triangle wrote: »

I live in a remote corner of a remote part of Kerry and I could claim that the one reason why I run on the roads is that they are in too bad a condition to drive on!

Running in the winter is no problem, in fact I love the solitude at 6am in the morning. If you are too self conscious to use a headlamp then indoors is your only option in winter, but I would really recommend giving the outdoors option a good try before spending €€€ on a dreadmill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

Well i've donw it, i've order the treadmill, but on days like this i'll be out in the morning, running the roads, what a morning.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Shinbreaker

Hi Thumper 10 did you buy the Horizon treadmill. How are you getting on with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

TFBubendorfer, could you recommend a decent head lamp, i too run in a fairly rural part and want to continue training over the winter, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

neilc wrote: »
    I'm actually waiting for delivery of this exact model at the moment. I plan to use it upstairs but am now a bit concerned based on one of the comments here. Is it really not possible.
    Neil

Tried to go onto the website but was not able to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Melanoma wrote: »
    Tried to go onto the website but was not able to?

Yeah they're gone bust!!!
    Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

There is a proforma 500 for 699 and a treo t591 on sale in elverys. Does any one think they are good or which one to get. I am having a lot of minor trouble with health in general and need to make some runs when I can get a chance so a treadmill would help for this time of the year. Currently only running 1.5 mile range over 15 minutes when I used to do about 2.5 in that time. Reckon a treadmill could help improve the speed and distance before the spring. Would love to run a marathon next year in september so need to get training now. I'm not thinking about spending 1000 as it might be a good investment but I really cant afford the 699.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Melanoma wrote: »
    There is a proforma 500 for 699 and a treo t591 on sale in elverys. Does any one think they are good or which one to get. I am having a lot of minor trouble with health in general and need to make some runs when I can get a chance so a treadmill would help for this time of the year. Currently only running 1.5 mile range over 15 minutes when I used to do about 2.5 in that time. Reckon a treadmill could help improve the speed and distance before the spring. Would love to run a marathon next year in september so need to get training now. I'm not thinking about spending 1000 as it might be a good investment but I really cant afford the 699.

I'm strongly thinking of getting the Proform 500 ZLT in Elverys. Anyone got one? Can't really find any reviews online....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I've had a Proform 450 for a couple of years which I bought from Elverys when they marked it down to something like a quarter of it's original sales price :D.

I use it a lot, up to 3 times a week over the winter, (1x 10km, and 2x 5km runs) but less in the summer and it's been OK, but has had a few reliability problems. A couple of bolts have come loose and the bed ( the platform you actually run on) cracked. Also one of the bolts that acted as the hinge for the upper and lower sections snapped.

I fixed the bolts myself but got the bed replaced under warranty. There was no quibble about the warranty, which was good, but I wasn't impressed by the quality of the work by the repair guy.:eek:

In general I've been happy enough with it. I'd probably buy another, but would check it came with a decent warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've a proform that I got from Elverys too. Its in its 3rd life at the moment. Motor went on one. The 'bed' you run on cracked on the 2nd one. The 3rd one has been fine but I use it rarely as it takes a lot for me to not go outdoors to run. Like the previous poster some of the bolts have loosened up but its still holding together.

I've a proform that I got from Elverys too. Its in its 3rd life at the moment. Motor went on one. The 'bed' you run on cracked on the 2nd one. The 3rd one has been fine but I use it rarely as it takes a lot for me to not go outdoors to run. Like the previous poster some of the bolts have loosened up but its still holding together.

Ok well I've bought it now so we'll see how it holds up. I'm hoping my light Kenyan style running technique won't put too much strain on it. Been talking about getting a treadmill for over a year now so finally taken the plunge, should be good for 30km a week at times when I otherwise wouldn't be able to leave the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I have found the treadmill a good investment so far.
    • Great in the Winter
    • Sometimes I have the kids here by myself and don't have to worry about the logistics of getting a run in
    • When getting doubles in during base building, easy to throw a top and shorts on at 6am and not worry about what's going on outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Wonder can you rent a T-mill anywhere would actually pay for this over gym membership at the moment. Wouldnt buy one at the moment as i'll only use it for a couple of months then it will go to waste. Found a few places but think i'll join the gym prices are mad.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Wonder can you rent a T-mill anywhere would actually pay for this over gym membership at the moment. Wouldnt buy one at the moment as i'll only use it for a couple of months then it will go to waste. Found a few places but think i'll join the gym prices are mad.

The few places that rent I've seen generally will charge around 90-100 euro for 5 weeks which I think is a little expensive. Some many gyms offer quite good pay-per-use ptions now that gym option would always work out cheaper IMO.

I want the treadmill mainly for reasons BeepBeep pointed out...being able to run while I'm stuck in the house with the kid asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Gringo78 wrote: »
    The few places that rent I've seen generally will charge around 90-100 euro for 5 weeks which I think is a little expensive. Some many gyms offer quite good pay-per-use ptions now that gym option would always work out cheaper IMO.

I want the treadmill mainly for reasons BeepBeep pointed out...being able to run while I'm stuck in the house with the kid asleep.
    Thanks, will just join the gym now, had a 5 day pass that will expire in 4 more days so €40 a month for the next few months works out a lot better then the rental.

i've been mulling over getting a treadmill for a while now, find it hard to do tempo runs with a head torch in the dark. i've narrowed it down to these 3 with elverys
    http://http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Livestrong-79-Treadmill-Exclusive-To-Elverys-Sports/209847/0000000020
    http://http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Nordic-Track-70-Treadmill/209846/0000000020
    http://http://www.elverys.ie/Product/Proform-500-ZLT-Treadmill/209781/0000000531

anyone have opinions of these or would i be better of waiting for the new year as elverys may have sales?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

We've a Proform since last winter and it's holding up very well. I did a 15 mile run on it on Saturday night, maxing out at 6.45 mile pace. In this weather, I'd be lost without it. The wife thought I had broken it when it just stopped at exactly 100 minutes. I thought it a bit weird, I'd to reset the timer on it. It's been great for speed sessions too as it can do 18km/h. We're definitely getting the use out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 d.runs

Has anyone any experience with www.irishsportsdirect.ie and the PowerTech Treadmills they sell; they seem to be good value (cheap) for the spec?

We've a Proform since last winter and it's holding up very well. I did a 15 mile run on it on Saturday night, maxing out at 6.45 mile pace. In this weather, I'd be lost without it. The wife thought I had broken it when it just stopped at exactly 100 minutes. I thought it a bit weird, I'd to reset the timer on it. It's been great for speed sessions too as it can do 18km/h. We're definitely getting the use out of it.

hi runforestRun, it that the proform 500 zlt? looks the most reasonably priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Looking to buy a treadmill for home use. I'm a long time, long distance runner but have recently moved to the country and no longer have light roads to run on on Winter nights.

I have no idea what are good brands and good models. Can anyone recommend ?

I'd probably go down the 2nd hand route because I'm looking to spend 300 or less. Surely there must be 1000's of unused treadmills out there that people would be only too delighted to be rid of ?

radar0976 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a treadmill for home use. I'm a long time, long distance runner but have recently moved to the country and no longer have light roads to run on on Winter nights.

I have no idea what are good brands and good models. Can anyone recommend ?

I'd probably go down the 2nd hand route because I'm looking to spend 300 or less. Surely there must be 1000's of unused treadmills out there that people would be only too delighted to be rid of ?

I had a good look at what was available second hand and to be honest, in the 0-12kph range there are plenty available at around 300 but if you're looking for something in the 16kph or 18kph there are not so many and also not at such a great price.

When you say 'long distance' runner...how much time would you be looking at putting up on the treadmill per week? from what I can tell, how 'good' a treadmill you need is really related to how much you use it....if its going to get a fair amount of use, you're shortening its time to fail and then its worth paying attention to the brand, reviews and warranty length. If you most of your running is going to be done at say 70% of the top speed of the machine then you will not be putting too much strain on the treadmill but if you have a 0-12kph treadmill and all your runs will be at max speed 12kph, you shouldn't be surprised when the motor packs in.

anyone have the proform 500 zlt? i want a treadmill for tempo runs so want to have one that goes to 6 min miles or below for faster work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

To balance out the treadmill debate a bit.. I have one so I can speak from experience. You need space. It takes up a lump of space in whatever room you put it. You'll want an understanding OH as its an ugly addition to the house. Granted, it can fold up but it still takes up a c. 4 x 4 foot footprint. Ideally, you'll have a spare-ish room downstairs for it. I don't have that but we can screen it off. My OH would have it gone tomorrow if she could :rolleyes:. Its heavy so once you decide where its going its got to stay there as you can't easily go horsing it around the house. Its noisy. You'll thump thump thump as you run. Noise can only be drowned out by other noise.. turn up the stereo loud. If you are running on the treadmill the family will want to be elsewhere in the house, or out (fullstop).
    Apart from thats is grand, as a fallback to all other running options :)

jfh wrote: »
    anyone have the proform 500 zlt? i want a treadmill for tempo runs so want to have one that goes to 6 min miles or below for faster work

Got delivery of my Proform 500 ZLT at the weekend. Top marks to the guys from Elverys in delivering in atrocious conditions on Saturday.

First impressions are good....easy to use....single push speed selection in 2kph increments and likewise the incline, makes it very easy when doing intervals or hills as you're not scrambling pressing the down key repeatedly at the end of a fast rep. Seems solid even up at top speed of 18kph (5:20 min/ml). Not sure what the built in programmes are like on it but I never use those anyway. Takes iFit cards so must try to design a few interval & hills programmes of my own. Will let you know how I get on after I've put it through its paces a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

d.runs wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with www.irishsportsdirect.ie and the PowerTech Treadmills they sell; they seem to be good value (cheap) for the spec?

anyone?

don't know if i should buy from here or elverys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 garmingeek

depends on the gaurantee,ring both and you will get a better idea.

Advertisement