Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing language on a Flybook /os xp

• 23-11-2009 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭

I was recently given a flybook travel book.
    its a nice piece of kit but the windows xp is in german.
    Does anybody know how I would change it to english ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thread moved from laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

to where ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

You need to access the "language/region" and or "change display language" section in the Control Panel.
    From there you will be able to stitch the language.
    You will probably have to reboot too but this is normal to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It may not be possible without replacing XP with a new XP install.

The german OEM versions of XP in particular tend to be locked to German. And you'd need an XP MUI pack to switch. Access to this tends to be restricted to corporate volume license customers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yip bad news

the XP license is German , you need an English license, blame microsoft.

this should not affect your apps , just try to install as much stuff in English as you can

MUI is only available to volume license holders AND even if you had 5 licenses it would probably costs about the same as another XP license by the time you go through the hoops

because it's already got windows installed you can't install OEM on it so would have to buy a full or upgrade retail license :(

yes it sucks,

try changing all settings to english/ireland
    try installing an english version of IE

on older versions of windows you could install different language service packs and so change many of the menus, but sadly this workaround don't work no more

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    You need to access the "language/region" and or "change display language" section in the Control Panel.
    From there you will be able to stitch the language.
    You will probably have to reboot too but this is normal to do so.

Thanks Biggins,
    I will try that (if I can find the correct tabs in german to actually do it ) !
    otherwise I suppose it will mean an new xp install ?

regards

axton1

yip bad news

the XP license is German , you need an English license, blame microsoft.

this should not affect your apps , just try to install as much stuff in English as you can

MUI is only available to volume license holders AND even if you had 5 licenses it would probably costs about the same as another XP license by the time you go through the hoops

because it's already got windows installed you can't install OEM on it so would have to buy a full or upgrade retail license :(

yes it sucks,

try changing all settings to english/ireland
    try installing an english version of IE

on older versions of windows you could install different language service packs and so change many of the menus, but sadly this workaround don't work no more
    Thanks Capt'n Midnight. I found where the computer was supplied from .I will get in touch with them and see if they can tell me what version was installed and if it can be done via control panel.
    thanks again

axton 1

ressem wrote: »
    It may not be possible without replacing XP with a new XP install.

The german OEM versions of XP in particular tend to be locked to German. And you'd need an XP MUI pack to switch. Access to this tends to be restricted to corporate volume license customers.

Thank you ressem for your reply. I will investigate the mui pack option along with the other advice received.

axton 1

Thanks Alanstrainor,on original posting I only noticed computers and technology on the pull down box and assumed that was the place to post. Thanks again the replies came in quite fast !
    axton 1

Advertisement