Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Dog - Dyke Road Fri

Options
  • 23-11-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭

Just found out that my friend's dog went missing from her parents' house Friday around noon. She was out of town until Sat and found out then she had trouble getting back with the floods too.

'Padge' is young and bouncy, any sightings post on here, or pm me
    My friend is worried sick, thanks!
    If there's a better way to attach this photo let me know.

Padge.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Put a post in Lost/Found too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

His 'home' is out towards Headford, so it's possible he's headed that way too, and the flooding is throwing scent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The owner must report the dog to the nearest Guards asap. Then contact the Pound,GSPCA, local vets, etc. Post here in the Animals & Pets.

As a GSD she is a restricted breed so it is really important that they act quickly.

She did all that, and I just posted on Animals and Pets

Not sure what GSD is - German Shepherd?
    I know he is a mix..what do you mean by restricted?

Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulation, S.I. No. 123 of 1991 requires that in order to keep the following types of dogs

Bandogs, American Pit Bull Terriers, Bulldogs, Bull Mastiffs, Doberman Pinschers, English Bull Terriers, German Shepherd (Alsatians), Japanese Akitas, Japanese Tosas, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweilers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers including any other strain or cross or every breed or type of dog so described - as specified in Regulation 4,

It is necessary to have these dogs controlled by a sufficiently strong chain or leash not more than one metre in length and by a person over the age of 16 years of age who is capable of controlling the dog, Regulation 5.
    Further these dogs must be muzzled while in a public place, Regulation 6.
    These dogs must also have collars which identify the dog and give an address, Regulation 7.

In reality the problem is that Pounds will often not rehome restricted breeds & will regard anything with pointed ears as a Restricted breed cross. This is why it is critical that they keep a very close eye on the Pound. They could possibly be prosecuted. If I were them I would be searching day & night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

96932.jpg

Call GBFM and the local papers; all except the Galway Independent did free classified ads when our fella went missing last year.

Has he a chip?

I have just put him/her on Pets Ireland for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

qwytre wrote: »

Not so much :(

Yeah not yet found, she's scouring the streets. I only heard today.

No chip afaik, she said she's notified lots of outlets.

Didn't realise that about the breed. He escaped as I think someone left a door open by mistake, think he'd just had a bath or something.

Thanks discodog for that. I will pass any info on, or I have the owner's mobile if anyone pms me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Try getting in touch with Madra too, people often hand lost dogs in to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You've probably already done this but also contact all the area vets, if a dog has been found by someone they often bring them in to be checked out.

I hope you find him - he's gorgeous and looks like a really happy friendly guy.

Thanks for that. I have hung out with him only a handful of times, but he is a sweetheart, if a little bouncy! My friend would be devastated if she doesn't find him. She's no internet in her own house in Headford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, hopefully they'll be reunited... I have my own exuberant sweetie and I'd be absolutely devastated if anything were to happen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

There was an ad in the Galway Advertiser last week about a similar sort of dog found over a week ago, wandering the streets in Galway. I understand it has been happily rehomed these past few days.

Contact all police stations, dog warden, all vets in Galway, all animal rescue centres, Galway Bay FM, put ads in all local newspapers....

Best of luck.

Because of the breed problem I really would ensure that they keep in daily touch with the Pound.

There is a distinct possibility that someone has taken him in & may not realise their obligation to tell the Guards. I would do a simply flier & put one through as many doors as possible. Oh & if they haven't got one, get a dog license.

Popped into Mill St today. One Garda overheard me and thinks there's a dog matching his description picked up near Salthill! Fingers crossed :)
    Apparently a TON of dogs went awol this weekend - must have been the weather..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Ill keep an eye out.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

inisboffin wrote: »
    Popped into Mill St today. One Garda overheard me and thinks there's a dog matching his description picked up near Salthill! Fingers crossed :)
    Apparently a TON of dogs went awol this weekend - must have been the weather..

Hope it is him!! Best of luck.. :)

Alas no joy yet, my friend followed the lead, it's a female German Shepherd..so if you hear of another missing:rolleyes:

No joy in the pound today either.

She (my friend) has a bit more hope though now, and people are being great.

We're all still looking, thanks folks:)

Hope it's ok to bump this - just want to keep it fresh for a week. He went missing last Fri..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

inisboffin wrote: »
    Not so much :(

Yeah not yet found, she's scouring the streets. I only heard today.

No chip afaik, she said she's notified lots of outlets.

Didn't realise that about the breed. He escaped as I think someone left a door open by mistake, think he'd just had a bath or something.

Thanks discodog for that. I will pass any info on, or I have the owner's mobile if anyone pms me.

Any news ???

Because of the time factor I would suspect that someone has got her. The fact that she is female is a bit worrying as she is puppy farm material. But it may be that a well meaning individual has taken her in.

It's a hard lesson to learn but Collars, Name tags & Microchips are essential. If you have a female dog, get it neutered & put the word "Neutered" on the tag. That way they are less likely to be taken maliciously & you greatly reduce the risk of them getting breast cancer.

It is critical that you keep following up every 2 or 3 days with the Pound.

Discodog wrote: »
    Because of the time factor I would suspect that someone has got her. The fact that she is female is a bit worrying as she is puppy farm material. But it may be that a well meaning individual has taken her in.

It's a hard lesson to learn but Collars, Name tags & Microchips are essential. If you have a female dog, get it neutered & put the word "Neutered" on the tag. That way they are less likely to be taken maliciously & you greatly reduce the risk of them getting breast cancer.

It is critical that you keep following up every 2 or 3 days with the Pound.

No, he's male and neutered, so that's actually good. He does have a collar on with a number, but apparently it's come off him before.
    My friend has popped into a couple of the halting sites and asked the lads too. You'll probably see posters up around town too.

Update: Unfortunately still no sight of the poor ladeen. :(
    A couple of 'good looking' (??) dogs were apparently snatched it seems, the same night. He's no good for fighting due to his temperament tho.

We're all keeping an eye out.

Advertisement