Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning from Rugby Forum OTT

Options
  • 23-11-2009 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭

I was banned for 2 weeks for this post

Listen,

Even the staunchest ROG defenders claimed that O'Gara should start against Australia and Sexton should start against Fiji and on the basis of those 2 games the most impressive should be selected against South Africa.

O'Gara threw an intercept try, missed a tackle resulting in a try and scuppered two attacks in promising positions in his game.

Sexton, on his debut, got MOTM. In appaling conditions from difficult positions he kicked 100% of his attempts. He made huge breaks, his kicking out of hand was sublime and his distrubution was excellent. In defence he managed not only to tackle but actually turn over a 18+ stone Fijian backrower. At the breakdown he competed ferociously. He stepped up.

Since debate started about Sexton taking over there has always been excuses. When he excelled against Munster twice in the ML people claimed that the ML was nowhere near HC standard and that he'd be shown up. He comes on against Munster in the pressure cooker of croker in the HC semi final and plays a blinder outplaying O'Gara completely. Then claims came from Sexton detractors that Sexton would crumble when he started in the final against Leicester and that his cameo against Munster was simply a lucky game. Against Leicester in the final of the Heineken Cup he again excelled and played an excellent game. Sexton had now played a pivitol role in the highest stages of the highest club competition in the NH but still that was not enough. Oh No cried the Sexton haters the HC isn't even Ireland A standard! Sexton starts for Ireland A in the CC and is one of the best performers but this is completely ignored and the argument goes back to consistency....Ah but sure the HC was only 2 games they cried (at that stage Sexton had 30+ games to his name) lets see him do that consistantly! roll on the current season and Sexton starts week in week out for Leinster, he consistantly performs but that is still not enough. Sexton doesn't have international experience they snarl how can we start him against Australia?? The out of form O'Gara is a far better option sure we'll give Sexton a go against Fiji and then decide! Against Fiji in horrible conditions Sexton kicks 100% and gets MOTM. Yet still O'Gara is the better option....

Its as clear as day Sexton should start anyone that is disagreeing is either completely blind or completely biased

The line bolded was apparently considered trolling and personal abuse. Now I think this is very harsh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

You were banned for a series of posts which involved personal abuse and trolling, not simply the one you conveniently post here to present yourself in as favourable a light as possible. Anyone reading the thread in question in its entirety will be in no doubt that your banning was entirely merited. There are only so many mod warnings and gentle reminders one can give. Some people won't be told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

toomevara wrote: »
    You were banned for a series of posts which involved personal abuse and trolling, not simply the one you conveniently post here to present yourself in as favourable a light as possible. Anyone reading the thread in question in its entirety will be in no doubt that your banning was entirely merited. There are only so many mod warnings and gentle reminders one can give. Some people won't be told.

Oh come on, thats the post you infracted me for. All my other posts are completely above board. From what I've seen you let your personal opinions cloud your modding. An infraction for saying that anyone that can't see Sexton is playing better than O'Gara is either blinded or biased? Really?

Wanted to create a seperate thread to my banning one as this is a different matter.

The inconsistencies in the modding in the rugby forum are incredibly frustrating. We are told to report the post rather than respond yet it seems some mods there like to cherry pick which user should get punished depending on their opinions. I have reported this post :
    Facepalm at every single Leinster fan in this thread, who, whilst insulting the op for making a point of Earls based on today, call for 'Johnny' to be canonised. Your posts come across as both hypocritical and downright stupid. Go back to Leinsterfans.

Which is a clear attempt of trolling. The user is not even infracted.

I then reported this post from zenmonk
    These threads are all just Deja vu aren't they.

O gara vs Sexton all over again, let's not pretend it's anything else, and now Cullen instead of O Callaghan to give it a new provincial twist.

Which again is a clear attempt at trolling, dragging a thread off topic and turning everything provincial yet not even an infraction or banning.

Unphased with getting away with the above post Zenmonk once again turns things provincial and quess what? Not one infraction or banning
    I would go with Wallace too at OH, just to end these pointless threads. We all know who's going to start. Yes 70% of Boardsies will pick Sexton like the Australia game, which would prove that aprox 70% of people here support Leinster apart from a few Munster supporters who would pick Sexton.

I am then banned for 2 weeks for responding to that above post with
    You're right its a disgrace. Certain posters seem to enjoy writting off any opinion they disagree with as provincial conspiracies. Its pathetic and ruins discussion but its a convienient cop out for them to avoid debating the actual issue. Case in point, Zenmonk who argues that anyone who wants Sexton to start is a Leinster supporter

(Don't want to discuss banning here just giving example of inconsistency)

and am infracted for this
    Its as clear as day Sexton should start anyone that is disagreeing is either completely blind or completely biased.

So whilst I am infracted for saying that if you can't see Sexton deserves to start you either cant see or are biased zenmonk who flat out says anyone that says Sexton deserves to start is simply a Leinster supporter gets off scot free.

Then the highground in another thread in regards to BOD's captaincy
    why he introduced named leaders (ROG, Rory, POC) to the team).

Outside observation (from Jim Telfer at the time of who the Lions Captain would be) that it appeared to him that it was POC & ROG who ran the Ireland show.

Like come on that is clearly trolling by demeaning O'Driscoll's role and saying that ROG and POC really ran the show I mean what the hell has that got to do with Earls v Fitzgerald? He is clearly trying to turn it into a Munster v Leinster issue yet not even an infraction?

These are just some of the examples and I am sick of it. I have been a contributer for 5 years ad the modding in the rugby forum is really not on. There has been countless threads on this issue from such a small forum (compared to afterhours, soccer, etc) yet NOTHING has been done. Toomevara was added as mod which seems to have worsened the situation. I am pleading for something to be done or I wont be posting here again. (Yeah one poster lost I doubt its a big deal for you, its the principal though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    An infraction for saying that anyone that can't see Sexton is playing better than O'Gara is either blinded or biased? Really?

Yes, it's a total no-brainer..It's a massively emotive debate which has led to the closing of numerous threads for general muppetry. I warn on the thread twice that for these very reasons I'm going to be massively intolerant of inflammatory crap. You then brand anyone who has the temerity to disagree with your august opinion as being biased or blind. That's inflammatory flamebait in my book and merited a richly deserved infraction.

You then go on to single out an individual user as someone who is a case in point. Again inflammatory personalised abuse. Again ban richly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

First of all - if there has been clear warnings on thread, then I'm not going to be very sympathetic if you disregarded those warnings.

If I go looking, and find that is the case, then I'll be quite happy with the mods desicion and less happy with my time being consumed.

With regard to your other posts - context is king. Apart from anything else, you don't know what takes place in the background (not every moderation desicion/action is visible or noticible), a first time offender is likely to get a lot more slack than someone who consistantly pops up on the radar - it's logical. There will never be "consistency" in moderation, as it's an inconsistant environment with each post having to be evaluated on a the circumstances surrounding it, the poster involved etc.

• Advertisement

SpAcEd OuT wrote: »
    Wanted to create a seperate thread to my banning one as this is a different matter.

The inconsistencies in the modding in the rugby forum are incredibly frustrating. We are told to report the post rather than respond yet it seems some mods there like to cherry pick which user should get punished depending on their opinions. I have reported this post :

Which is a clear attempt of trolling. The user is not even infracted.

I then reported this post from zenmonk

Which again is a clear attempt at trolling, dragging a thread off topic and turning everything provincial yet not even an infraction or banning.

Unphased with getting away with the above post Zenmonk once again turns things provincial and quess what? Not one infraction or banning

I am then banned for 2 weeks for responding to that above post with

(Don't want to discuss banning here just giving example of inconsistency)

and am infracted for this

So whilst I am infracted for saying that if you can't see Sexton deserves to start you either cant see or are biased zenmonk who flat out says anyone that says Sexton deserves to start is simply a Leinster supporter gets off scot free.

Then the highground in another thread in regards to BOD's captaincy

Like come on that is clearly trolling by demeaning O'Driscoll's role and saying that ROG and POC really ran the show I mean what the hell has that got to do with Earls v Fitzgerald? He is clearly trying to turn it into a Munster v Leinster issue yet not even an infraction?

These are just some of the examples and I am sick of it. I have been a contributer for 5 years ad the modding in the rugby forum is really not on. There has been countless threads on this issue from such a small forum (compared to afterhours, soccer, etc) yet NOTHING has been done. Toomevara was added as mod which seems to have worsened the situation. I am pleading for something to be done or I wont be posting here again. (Yeah one poster lost I doubt its a big deal for you, its the principal though)

More from zenmonk who is yet to even be infracted...

Even the grudging admittance that Buckley played well is now " a couple of minutes (em 20?!) against a well beaten team". It's patethic here what goes on. The fact that there are alot of posters who know little about the game and are very biased seems to give creedence to these posters. If everyone is agreeing it must be true.
    What about the nonsense pedalled about O Callaghan a few posts back. "I would pick Bob Casey"?! Like WTF Bob Casey me hole O Callaghan, like Hayes (Who there is another swell of support for his immediate replacement!) is a groundhog who does the dirty work all day long.

Yes this post is inflammatory to a point but I would rather be honest than this constant sniding commentary that goes on with some seemingly repected posters on this site, most of them Leinster supporters it must be said, who go out of the way to get their digs in to mostly Munster players such as ROG, O Callaghan, Hayes, Buckley, even POC during the Lions was a target, POC as captain of Ireland, Flannery (Best is a better option seemingly), Stringer, Leamy (Best is a better option seemingly again) and Kidney , who is now some kind of God in the pale because he picked Sexton

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I do not believe that you have been unfairly targetted by the mods. I think the mods are clearly tired of people consistently trolling and sniping at opposition fans and you have been flagged as one such. Yes, there are plenty of others - but as any rugby ref would say - "let the officials deal with it - do not take retaliation into your own hands".

I would suggest that you are taking both the forum and your bans too seriously. Take a break for a week or two and try not to get baited back into Munster-Leinster tit for tat battles when you come back, regardless of how innocuous or innocent you think your own comments might be.

If anyone thinks they've read the above before, that's because you probably have.

I'm tired of seeing the same old complaints from the usual suspects about the rugby forum mods. I can't begin to imagine how tired they are of dealing with the constant in-fighting day in, day out. I commend their patience and support their actions here.

Well I know you as mods are trying to do something about this as per the thread in the rugby forum. Some points I would like to make on how to improve the forum....

Discussion must be allowed even if certain users dont particularly like certain opinions. Anyone who attempts to drag the thread off topic by claiming the thread is simply provincial bias should be banned for a month. I made a thread recently asking people to put down their 15 for the South African game only to have a user in the first response claim that I was stirring provincial ****e simply because I had Sexton and Cullen in my team. This is not on. I have seen time and time again certain users purposely turn a thread provincial because they want the thread locked and discussion not to continue. These users should be giving their marching orders

All criticsms of players must be backed up with valid reasons. If you disagree with something explain why. If someone is willing to explain their reasoning then they must not be banned for 'trolling'

Condescending and sarcastic snide remarks should result in bans. The forum is full of these marginally above board comments and there are incredibly annoying. just to give an example, this is a comment I recieved from zenmonk after I mistakenly said the boks won all 3 tests against the Lions
    Probably you got confused with 2005 tour to NZ. Easy mistake to make. Maybe you switched off when O driscoll got injured and went home?
    Obviously per rules there is nothing wrong with this comment but anyone can see it is personal abuse and it does nothing for discussion. It's hard not to heated when these sort of comments are continually let fly.

Mods must not be so overly sensitive. Locking Sexton v ROG threads when things are getting heated etc. must be stopped. By all means delete comments which have no place on the forum but don't lock the thread simply because its 'getting tedious'

Look at the comment not the user - I think some users's posts are looked at more closely because of their past. I don't think this is fair. Its either a bannable post or not. By all means lengthen the ban IF it is bannable but don't ban a user for a post that you would probably let slide with another poster. Standards must be consistant.

Some users need to be warned - This a tricky one but there are certain users who never answer questions directly and are evasive which is incredibly frustrating. Answer the question put forward to you not the one you wanted to hear. It's hard to explain but heres an example

Danthefan asked
    Do you think ROG is a better defender than Sexton?

The response he got from thehighground?
    In the scheme of things I think its more important that the OH doesn't lose the cool when the OH is inevitably going to get a bit of a bashing.

Did you not notice that Ferris took over the 10/12 channel when defending against Fiji ?

Just completely ignoring the question and turning the discussion elsewhere. How can one debate properly with those kind of tatics?

Thats me done.

Advertisement