Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dingle 2010

• 23-11-2009 7:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ultra route now announced 50 milllllllleeesssss

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/an-daingean/867125899968663382

:D

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 17 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0% 0 votes
    4 stars (good)
    88% 15 votes
    3 stars (average)
    11% 2 votes
    2 star (poor)
    0% 0 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

is it going over the conno pass????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm not really up on my Dingle geography but is it around mile 16?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

baza1976 wrote: »
    is it going over the conno pass????

Yes indeedy. Nice elevation so shown on the mapmyrun link. Fair play to all those mad enough to consider doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Excellent news. I'm giddy with excitement!

Imagine that, I've been looking for a 50 miler for ages, and now they're organising one almost within walking distance of home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

tempting

• Advertisement

Excellent news. I'm giddy with excitement!

Imagine that, I've been looking for a 50 miler for ages, and now they're organising one almost within walking distance of home!

Your problem is the hill that looked large towards the end of the marathon now looks small in comparison with the Conor pass earlier :eek: Or on the other hand you're encountering your hill from last year this time at 45ish miles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Hats off to anyone barmy enough to be even considering this. Your ordinary road car struggles to get over the Conor Pass. And after you stagger into Dingle Town you've still got, what by all accounts, is a fierce marathon ahead of you.

The views from the Pass are to die for though - possibly literally :pac: I'll put my name down for stewarding and I'll hand you guys out Jelly Babies at the top.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Hats off to anyone barmy enough to be even considering this. Your ordinary road car struggles to get over the Conor Pass. And after you stagger into Dingle Town you've still got, what by all accounts, is a fierce marathon ahead of you.

The views from the Pass are to die for though - possibly literally :pac: I'll put my name down for stewarding and I'll hand you guys out Jelly Babies at the top.

No offer to carry us up? :pac:

Your problem is the hill that looked large towards the end of the marathon now looks small in comparison with the Conor pass earlier :eek: Or on the other hand you're encountering your hill from last year this time at 45ish miles!

I saw that, and I also noticed that Connor pass is not only higher, it is also steeper. :eek:

To compensate I might take it a tad easier than I did during the marathon this year. ;)

But until I'm at the start line, that's all just talk ...

The last time I was in Dingle I ran some of the local hills. One day I got deposited at the top of the Conor pass and sprinted the relatively short distance to town via a trail that ran parallel to the road. A great run with the fantastic view opening up before you. Touch wood I'll be at the start line of the marathon myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

think i will go for this. Great to have a 50 mile ultra in ireland. Is the 100 miler in Connemara being run again this year?

Ultra Details now up.
    ULTRA MARATHON
    THE DINGLE ULTRA MARATHON:
    THE ULTRA WILL TAKE PLACE ON THE SAME DAY AS THE HALF AND THE FULL, SEPTEMBER 4TH 2010.
    REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN FROM MONDAY THE 7TH OF DECEMBER. COST: €80 (PLUS ACTIVE EUROPE REGISTRATION)
    THE TOTAL DISTANCE IS 50 MILES, MAKING THIS RACE ONE OF THE MOST UNIQUE AND CHALLENGING RUNNING EVENTS IN THE WORLD.
    ALL 5O MILES ARE ON ROAD (EXCEPT A SHORT TRAIL RUN AT THE VERY START)
    THE START IS HELD IN GLENTENASSIG WOODS, A SPECTACULAR SETTING LOCATED ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE MOUNTAINS TO DINGLE, CLOSE TO CAMP.
    THE ULTRA WILL JOIN UP WITH THE MAIN HALF/FULL EVENT IN DINGLE TOWN. ONCE THE ULTRA MERGES WITH THE MAIN EVENT, NORMAL MARATHON CONDITIONS WILL BE IN PLACE. (SEE 'FULL MARATHON' FOR FURTHER DETAILS)
    A STRICT CUT OFF TIME OF 11 HOURS IS IN PLACE. NOTE: THIS CUT OFF WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED. WE ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDING THAT IF YOU ARE NOT SURE YOU CAN MAKE THIS TIME, THEN NOT TO ATTEMPT THE RACE.
    AID/REFRESHMENT/PHYSIO WILL ALL BE LOCATED AT THE START. AID/REFRESHMENT WILL BE LOCATED EVERY 6 MILES ON THE ULTRA COURSE.
    START TIME IS SET FOR 6AM.
    THE 2010 RACE WILL BE HELD AS THE NATIONAL 50 MILE TITLE.
    THE COURSE WILL BE OFICIALLY MEASURED BY THE ATHLETICS ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND AND IS ENDORSED BY ULTRA RUNNING IRELAND AND THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF ULTRA RUNNING.
    THE COURSE/ELEVATION IS AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS LINK:
    [url]HTTP://WWW.MAPMYRUN.COM/RUN/IRELAND/AN-DAINGEAN/867125899968663382[/url]
    PLEASE NOTE: DETAILS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

. Is the 100 miler in Connemara being run again this year?
    afaik it is,same week end as this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

has anyone else heard about the proposed criteria for entry to the ultra
    you will need to have completed 5 marathons and one 39.3 ultra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

open to anybody,just the 11hr cutoff......

SUNGOD wrote: »
    has anyone else heard about the proposed criteria for entry to the ultra
    you will need to have completed 5 marathons and one 39.3 ultra

And be mad in the head :)

And be mad in the head :)

Any idiot can run a marathon it takes a special idiot to run an ultramarathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Hi All,
    Longtime lurker just looking for some advice.
    Ran the Limerick 1/2 on Sunday, many thanks to the 1.50 pacemakers dragged me along however tired on the hills and finished in 1.55.
    I really want to do the full Dingle marathon I know it is very hilly but have 18 weeks to train for this, I live in a hilly location in Clare so ideal terrain, would anyone reccommend I train for this or even more importantly tell me to find an easier marathon for 1st time, running a good while mainly 10k's, 10 milers but would need to up my weekly milage i Know,

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

There is no such thing as an easy marathon, so you may as well go for a tough one. But keep in mind that Dingle really is a bit more difficult than, say, Dublin or Cork. Once you're suffering up the last big hill it's too late to change yout mind. :p

I ran it last year and the scenery was absolutely magnificent, but of course if the weather on the day hadn't been so stunning it may have been different.

If you're serious about it then start training straight away. The more hills you run the better, but apart form that there is no real difference between training for a flat marathon and a hilly one.

And Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Well done on your sub-two in Limerick. You seem to be in shape to tackle a marathon and you have the enthusiasm. Read TFBubendorfer's race report (excellent reading) on Dingle and afterwards decide if that's really the one you want to do first up! I'd say train for Dublin and keep Dingle for another time, but you'll follow your own heart.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wool

What goes up must come down, the hills are tough but personally I would prefer a hilly course than a flat one, you might not get as good a time but the ups and downs make you have to vary your running styles etc, best of luck with the training, you will fly it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

There is no such thing as an easy marathon, so you may as well go for a tough one. But keep in mind that Dingle really is a bit more difficult than, say, Dublin or Cork. Once you're suffering up the last big hill it's too late to change yout mind. :p

I ran it last year and the scenery was absolutely magnificent, but of course if the weather on the day hadn't been so stunning it may have been different.

If you're serious about it then start training straight away. The more hills you run the better, but apart form that there is no real difference between training for a flat marathon and a hilly one.

And Good Luck!
    A little off topic I know, but have you seen the profile for the Ultra?
    When the steep climb over the Connor Pass is included, the rest of the race looks very flat!

mithril wrote: »
    A little off topic I know, but have you seen the profile for the Ultra?
    When the steep climb over the Connor Pass is included, the rest of the race looks very flat!

You're not the first one to spot that. Last year's monster hill at the end just became a bump in the road!

Are you doing it?

You're not the first one to spot that. Last year's monster hill at the end just became a bump in the road!

Are you doing it?
    Yes, I am hoping to give it a shot. I will be using a different approach though than Connemara which is just short enough to be runnable the whole way. Plenty of planned walking for me in Dingle.

Yes, I am hoping to give it a shot. I will be using a different approach though than Connemara which is just short enough to be runnable the whole way. Plenty of planned walking for me in Dingle.

You'll still finish way ahead of me. Must take a look at your log from Connemara, might be useful for me to use as a base if I'm doing Dingle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

lol, I was talking myslef into having a go at it, now i think you are talking me out of it, :o

I enjoyed Connemara, although I wasnt breaking any records, so I had a licence to take my time and enjoy myself. But I'd be interested to see how I'd fair out for 50M. And tips on training for it to get over the extra 10M would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 warchild2

Hi, am in same boat as you...did limerick half on sunday - 1:38...never done the full thing....anybody know anything about cork marathon or any other options besides dublin - preferably before october...

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Cindyss

Thanks for all your help, I might try the hills of Clare for the next couple of weeks and then decide if my bones are able for Dingle, Here goes

Aimman wrote: »
    And tips on training for it to get over the extra 10M would be much appreciated.

I have only been running them 5 months so my experience is very limited.
    I could not find any good books on Amazon so worked out my approach using tips on various ultrarunning web sites.

The approach I used for Connemara - which seems to be common - was to split the race in two, and run half on Saturday and the other half on Sunday, as a training run.
    I was not able to do it at the start but gradually worked myself to the point where I could do it easily.

So schedule for week-end would be:

Friday Rest
    Saturday 20 mile
    Sunday 20 miles
    Monday Rest

Time on your feet is much more important than the pace of the run.
    Don't skip the rest days - they are important.

I also did a long mid week-end run - another 20 miles near the end but skipped this anytime I felt particularly tired or run down.

I also did a 33 mile off-road race in the middle of my training cycle but I took this easy.

I did not do speed intervals or any tempo sessions except a half marathon as a tune-up 3 weeks before the race.

So for Dingle I will be doing nearly 2 marathons back to back.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks Mithril, thats something similar to my training i did, back to back LSRs working up to 2 x 20M and a 30M run on one weekend. I forego the interval and tempo training but i made sure I faced lots of hills any opportunity I got, that paid off in Connemara.

I was looking around for back to back marathons during the summer, but I couldnt see anything. I know the Galway series had one last year, but I dont see anything for this year.

I know that the 32 marathons challenge would suit to get a couple of those in, but would probably cost a lot of money in donations and might not have the same atmosphere/motivation as the marathons that pull a crowd to watch it.

I am just going to do them on my own. In a race situation , I would run them too fast as I would not be able to resist the impulse to overtake. I am about 3 hour standard for the marathon and I intend doing the back tio back long runs in around 4 hours.

Now that Dingle is only 3 months away I thought this thread deserved a bump.

Well, have you signed up yet?

Well, have you signed up yet?

Nope, I'm just sussing out how training is going then I'll make a late decision. I'm going to aim training towards it but no decision yet made.

Anyway, there has been a route change - a hill has been removed - damn it!

New route:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/an%20daingean/867125899968663382

New route:

Is the Connor pass gone? That route looks much the same to me as the original one but I am not familiar with the area?

• Advertisement

I think the hill thats gone if from mile 22 of the marathon so mile 46 onwards I assume is whats changed.

I think the hill thats gone if from mile 22 of the marathon so mile 46 onwards I assume is whats changed.
    You had me worried there for a moment. I thought they had made it too easy for us.

Nope, I'm just sussing out how training is going then I'll make a late decision. I'm going to aim training towards it but no decision yet made.

New route:

You're talking about the last hill? That's still there, we're just approaching it from a different angle.

I'm surprised nobody else here seems to have committed to the Ultra yet.

I'm already in. Havent really started any formal training on it yet, just getting the odd few miles here and there. Hoping to get more of a structred plan together in the next week. Not sure how to approach it yet. Heart nearly lifted there when I thought Connor's pass might have been taken out! :(

You're talking about the last hill? That's still there, we're just approaching it from a different angle.

I am training for it but its an expensive event to enter and I won't attempt it unless I am injury free. Leaving it a bit closer to the day before I sign up.

• Advertisement

I am in.
    The hill at the end is replaced with another shorter hill. Still very steep but is now much shorter. Chances are the weather won't be as warm as it was last year either.
    Only 83 days to it now.

Received this promo mail from active.com
    The original prices were 55 and 65.
    A lot more availability of marathons in the country than even 2 years ago.
    Looks like the organzers found it more difficult to get people to sign-up for a high priced event in the middle of a recession than they anticipated.

"The second annual Dingle marathon takes place this September 4th in the picturesque village of Dingle, located on Ireland's rugged west coast.
    The Dingle marathon has teamed up with Active Network to offer all Active Network subscribers discounted entry to Dingle 2010.
    All you need to do is enter promo code 'dingle' to get either the half or the full entry for only €50 (excluding Active Network fee).
    You will have to hurry as time and places are limited. This offer will expire on July 9th 2010. Time is running out!"

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

I did dingle half last yr as my first half marathon..... great athmosphere in the town, great build up to it and also very well organised (except for the buses back after the half!).

Will be doing the half again this year as a lead up to Dublin Full, must say that the 2nd half of dingle looks a bit bleek and I personnally would not do it as my first full. There seemed to be little support along the 2nd half and its not fully closed off so you have traffic and buses to be aware of. Best of luck with the training though!

What is the layout for the Ultra? Trying to get some info from the site but bit vague

Can we drop off food packs along the way like in Connemeara?

I cant see any mention of having sports drinks or gels available at any stations, does anyone know what planned?

and Finally, I see Denny are one of the sponsors, will they be giving out sausages along the way? ;)

Aimman wrote: »
    What is the layout for the Ultra? Trying to get some info from the site but bit vague

Can we drop off food packs along the way like in Connemeara?

I cant see any mention of having sports drinks or gels available at any stations, does anyone know what planned?

and Finally, I see Denny are one of the sponsors, will they be giving out sausages along the way? ;)

I emailed about this a couple of weeks ago and was told they'll have food stations. He said full details are still to be confirmed but they'll be out asap, take into account the RD has a marathon or 28 to run over the next few weeks. :)

Entries are capped at 80 and they're currently half full.

Bump.

Have we target times for the Ultra. Course is open for 11 hours which is achievable for pretty much any long distance runner I'd have thought.

Bump.

Have we target times for the Ultra. Course is open for 11 hours which is achievable for pretty much any long distance runner I'd have thought.

I will be targeting 9 hours and be happy to finish inside 11.
    Does anybody have the course profile for the full 50 miles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Wow, the Connor Pass is going to be a killer on that course!! The rest of the marathon looks perfectly flat compared to it, glad I'm only doing the half!

So its all plain sailing after mile 21 :D
    Miles 15-18 could have more than its fair share of walking breaks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement