Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dingle 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

7:30 to 8:00 for me. I will narrow it down further before the day.
    Very high likelihood of picking up an injury on route, and if you have to walk a significant amount of the last section, than 11 hours cut-off might come into play.

Anyone planning to do a recce on a Connor Pass before the race?
    I spoke to some cyclists and they said there is a pub which you pass, after which it starts to get a lot steeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

mithril wrote: »
    Anyone planning to do a recce on a Connor Pass before the race?
    I spoke to some cyclists and they said there is a pub which you pass, after which it starts to get a lot steeper.

On the way down on the Friday, I'll probably head over towards the start and drive along it towards Dingle. It's the only chance I'll get beforehand.

Aimman wrote: »
    On the way down on the Friday, I'll probably head over towards the start and drive along it towards Dingle. It's the only chance I'll get beforehand.
    Good idea. I will do the same. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Hoping to do it under 8 hours.

Judging from my Connemara time that should be doable, but since I've never done a 50 miler I might be completely deluded. All will be revealed on the day, I suppose.

I asked the question on their facebook page about drop offs got this reply

'On the ultra there are stations every 5 miles and then every 3 miles on the full. All stations have water. Most will have bananas. Mile 9/21 of full will have gels. Mile 20 is the only opportunity for drop off.'

So in Conn, we had 3 drop off points at whichever stations we wanted, now we'll have just one at Mile 20, before we even hit the marathon distance. Hope ye like bananas.

'On the ultra there are stations every 5 miles and then every 3 miles on the full. All stations have water. Most will have bananas. Mile 9/21 of full will have gels. Mile 20 is the only opportunity for drop off.'

So in Conn, we had 3 drop off points at whichever stations we wanted, now we'll have just one at Mile 20, before we even hit the marathon distance. Hope ye like bananas.

Hmmm...

It's an expensive enough event to enter and I expect a professionally organized event. The ultra-running community is small enough in this country and word quickly gets around if penny pinching short-cuts cause a fiasco on the day.

I suspect the fibre content of bananas might be a problem for some people although I tolerated them well in the past.

By the time we are on the marathon course, the stations will have been well scoured by the full and half runners so it's questionable whether they can be relied on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I emailed them a while back about food stops for the ultra and assumed from their reply that there'd be more than that. We'll have to get a crew out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Yeah. I was hoping to have a family member there to keep me supplied but that is looking very doubtful now. I almost had them convinced that they would enjoy a 50 mile cycle around the course on the day:D

I suppose that you could drive over the pre marathon part of the route the day before and drop some stuff off yourself.

I suppose that you could drive over the pre marathon part of the route the day before and drop some stuff off yourself.

And then try to remember which rock in the whole 50miles did you tuck the stuff behind. You could bring spray paint and write "Sarsfields Stash is here" on the road. :D

I would have thought they would have catered more for our needs after the 26M point. There's no requirement mentioned on the site to have a crew on the day and they should know that we need to have access to food we've trained with at the latter part of the race, instead of hoping there's a spare banana left by the other race groups.

Should there not be recommendations and guidlines for providing nutritonal support etc for Ultra running if it's an officially recognised race?

• Advertisement

When you consider that in many races you'd have to be self sufficient I guess not. As it's an IAU labeled race I'd imagine there'd be guidelines in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Should there not be recommendations and guidlines for providing nutritonal support etc for Ultra running if it's an officially recognised race?

email URI.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Counting down the long runs for Dingle. This was longer than I expected but a goodie.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43503825

Not in such great shape for this now.
    Think I have a mild case of shin splints in my right leg but it could also be a calf muscle strain. Using the Stick to massage it on an hourly basis but I don't think I will be getting too many long runs in between now and Dingle.

Looks like I am starting an early taper.

I had hoped to race the 10 mile in the Phoenix park next week but unless I can get an 8 mile run at 8:30 pace done next Wednesday then it looks like it will have to be a leisurely stroll rather than an attempt at a PB.

See latest update on the web site. They appear to have responded to the feedback which is always good to see.

I am very doubtful for the race. Hip injury is finally starting to show progress but I think a 50 mile run without proper training is too risky.

"Aid/refreshment will be located every 5 miles on the ultra course. A 'drop off' station will be in place on mile 20, we will take your bags at the start line and place on the station at mile 20. These bags will then be removed and placed on mile 35, once the runner is through. Both stations on mile 20 and 35 will have a lot of extra foods and fluids (fruits, sandwiches, cereal bars, energy bars, pastas, chocolate, sweets, gels, isotonics etc)
    "

Sorry to see you're both injured. I've picked up a knock myself and I'm currently 'doubtful' I didn't really train for it though but it'd still be a massive disappointment to drop out.

• Advertisement

I hope to be okay for this. I ran a 10K in London yesterday at lsr pace and am happy that the leg would be up to Dingle as it is.
    It is probably only a very slight muscle tear but will probably not be 100% for next weeks 10 mile in the Park.

mithril wrote: »
    See latest update on the web site. They appear to have responded to the feedback which is always good to see.

I am very doubtful for the race. Hip injury is finally starting to show progress but I think a 50 mile run without proper training is too risky.

"Aid/refreshment will be located every 5 miles on the ultra course. A 'drop off' station will be in place on mile 20, we will take your bags at the start line and place on the station at mile 20. These bags will then be removed and placed on mile 35, once the runner is through. Both stations on mile 20 and 35 will have a lot of extra foods and fluids (fruits, sandwiches, cereal bars, energy bars, pastas, chocolate, sweets, gels, isotonics etc)
    "

Sorry to hear about your injury. You have still got three weeks to recover, and the training you did for Iceland means you won't be on the start line "without proper training".

At least you brought some good news. I was seriously worried about my nutrition when I heard there was only one drop-off.

Just finished my last long run today. I can't believe it's tapering time already!

How do you Ultra runners plan to get to the start? Are you all planning on taking the 5:45 bus from Dingle or will someone drive straight to the start?

I was hoping on sleeping in my own bed and driving to the start in the morning, but as my better half needs the car, this looks like a non-starter.

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm staying just off main street, how far is dingle skellig from there? I doubt I'll be able to get a taxi at that time? :confused:

I was going to ask the same thing. I'm staying just off main street, how far is dingle skellig from there? I doubt I'll be able to get a taxi at that time? :confyused:

you might. I am staying at Benners and they said that they would book a taxi for 6 am for me on the Sunday to get me to Tralee train station for an early train to Dublin.
    So you should have no problem booking a taxi for 5:30 on the Saturday morning.
    Did you finally enter it then?

• Advertisement

I took the plunge last night. We all knew I was always going to give it a whack I'd only regret it if I didn't.

Dingle Skellig is just 5 minutes walk from the main street. You pass it on the left as you enter town on the Tralee road.You won't need a taxi.

I stayed there before for a week-end. It's horribly over-priced for a week-end out of normal season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gubmund

<mod snip- please read the charter regarding race transfers>

Well I said that I will chance the leg. I am off to the physio tonight so that I can then ignore their advice not to run. :eek:
    Bought the ticket for the 9am train on the Friday to Tralee so I am fully committed now. How is everybody else getting in and out of there?

I am out.
    Making a slow recovery from a hip injury and I don't want to aggravate it by trying to run the Ultra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I'm getting excited now! Little over a week to go and only two more days of work between now and then... Hope to meet a good few of you there (say hi to the 2:00 half pacer ;))

Just thought I would bump this back up.
    How is everybody fixed for this?

Not in great shape myself as I have had only 2 5 mile runs in the last 2 weeks. This is not an extreme taper either!
    I hope to get a few runs in this week but nothing streneous. Will see how it goes but I would be happy to go sub 9 for the Ultra now.
    Actually making the cut off should probably me my target for this one now.
    Anyway for the sake of it.

sarsfieldsrock Ultra Sub 10

Let's see.

Training over the last few weeks was great, but now I have a funny twinge in my right achilles and my right knee has been hurting for the last 2 days. I can't put any weight on it when kneeling down. Luckily, kneeling down is not required when running 50 miles. :D

The weather lady last night said this week would be nice and dry up to and including ... Friday! :eek: Luckily, they don't know what they're doing.

Still not sure how I'll get to the start line in the morning.

Still hoping to run between 7:30 and 8:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Eddie your some man, 9 or 10 hours on your feet. have you got a run walk stratagy for the race or are you going to try and run it all.

Apart from the very late night drinking session on Saturday, everything is going fine. Managed to stay injury free till now (touch wood) and a 5M run today or tomorrow will cap off another 200M month.

Haven't thought of a race strategy yet though, or when to take nutrition etc, but that will keep me occupied over the next couple of days. Hard to believe it will be all over within a week.

Going for a conservative 9 hour target. I could manage a 4h to get halfway, but doubt if I'll keep an even split to make the 2nd half in 4 hours too.

With only 60 people in the race, will probably harder to keep company along the way. But feck it. I've put the training in, feeling good and met all the challenges I set during the year, so that will be what will going through my head till I cross the finish line, running or walking. Just have to listen to myself saying that for at least 9 hours thought, :D

• Advertisement

Well I had intended to do a run walk until I got to the Marathon start (taking 4:30) and then try to run a 4:10 marathon (or better) but I think that is out now and it will be a run walk all the way.
    It go me round in Connemara when I had missed nearly 2 months training injured. The difference there was that I was back training for 3 weeks before the event. This time I have been out for the last 2 weeks more or less. So the fitness will have gone backwards as I couldn't cycle either and have ditched the gym.
    I will be trying 25-26 min running with 4-5 min walking breaks and just see how I get on. I would expect to be walking up the hills before Dingle as well.
    It would be interesting to hear of anybody elses approach if they are not intending to run the whole thing as well.
    Oh and well done Oisin on the double in Longford. Sounds like you were better off sticking with Longford and ignoring Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sounds like a wise approach eddie. Longford >Galway and by a long way according to the thread about Galway.

Apart from the very late night drinking session on Saturday, everything is going fine. Managed to stay injury free till now (touch wood) and a 5M run today or tomorrow will cap off another 200M month.

Haven't thought of a race strategy yet though, or when to take nutrition etc, but that will keep me occupied over the next couple of days. Hard to believe it will be all over within a week.

Going for a conservative 9 hour target. I could manage a 4h to get halfway, but doubt if I'll keep an even split to make the 2nd half in 4 hours too.

With only 60 people in the race, will probably harder to keep company along the way. But feck it. I've put the training in, feeling good and met all the challenges I set during the year, so that will be what will going through my head till I cross the finish line, running or walking. Just have to listen to myself saying that for at least 9 hours thought, :D

9 hours is definitely conservative for you IMO. I think you'll smash that. I'm hoping to hit the marathon start in about 4 - 4:30 hours, I don't know what's going to happen once we hit Connors pass, it could take 40 mins plus to run walk up that, I'm worried about the descent on my brittle knees too, given this comes in the first half of the race I'm really not sure how to estimate my first half time.

If I'd done the training which you have done I'd definitely be aiming for closer to 8 hours. I only started 'training' with 8 weeks to go and have had a few dodgy weeks in-between so my hopes aren't high, I know that barring a disaster I'll finish well beyond the 11 hour cutoff. The aim is to enjoy the day. It's a new goal, a new challenge and it's exciting knowing we're taking on 50 miles in a few days time. Hopefully the weather will be good too us and it'll be a good bit cooler than Connemara was this year.
    Well I had intended to do a run walk until I got to the Marathon start (taking 4:30) and then try to run a 4:10 marathon (or better) but I think that is out now and it will be a run walk all the way.
    It go me round in Connemara when I had missed nearly 2 months training injured. The difference there was that I was back training for 3 weeks before the event. This time I have been out for the last 2 weeks more or less. So the fitness will have gone backwards as I couldn't cycle either and have ditched the gym.
    I will be trying 25-26 min running with 4-5 min walking breaks and just see how I get on. I would expect to be walking up the hills before Dingle as well.
    It would be interesting to hear of anybody elses approach if they are not intending to run the whole thing as well.
    Oh and well done Oisin on the double in Longford. Sounds like you were better off sticking with Longford and ignoring Galway.

I'll be deciding on the day how I'm going to approach it, my approach is going to be based on the weather and how my breathing is on the day. I've been very wheezy and chesty over the last week or so. The plan for me at the moment is definitely to run all the way to 16 miles and then a run walk up and down the conners pass. You, me and Aimman shouldn't be too far off each other if he goes out at 9 hour pace so I'm sure we'll all be around for company for each other anyway.

Haven't even thought about what I'm going to put in my drop bag, I'll most likely just stick with the jelly babies that get me through Connemara, seems theres going to be plenty of other foodstuffs on offer anyway if we really need it but we should be ok sticking to our Connemara nutrition. I also seem to be coming down with a bit of a cold so it's overdosing on lemsip and training very lightly for the next few days, be awful to have to drop out at half way with a bloody head cold. :rolleyes:

@RQ. I was thinking about the Conor pass earlier... not sure why as I've wussed out on that aspect. The problem won't be the uphill as that will force you to be slow. Its the downhill when gravity is trying to haul you down fast. That could play havoc on the quads with c. 30 miles still to go. Just try to take it easy. Easier said than done.

I was planning on picking your brains on how I should tackle it on Friday. :D The downhill has been my biggest worry since I started thinking about this race. It's going to be much harder than the climb, I'm under no illusions on that.

Although, having just looked at the map and elevation profile, the climb isn't as long as I thought it was, no idea why I thought it was 4 miles of climbing....thats made me much happier, the pass will be easy. :pac:

In all seriousness you should probably consider trying to walk the steep downhill bits. If you run it'll be hard to avoid running fast. I know this for a fact as I ran downhill from the Conor pass into Dingle last time I was down there and I flew down !

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

many ppl doing the half ?

Its coming into focus now. Received the race pack today.
    No 10 for the race so whos got lower?

Its coming into focus now. Received the race pack today.
    No 10 for the race so whos got lower?

What's this? Dingle Bingo?? :D

Cant beat you, I got 29. I'm getting all the stuff ready, cos I'll be heading to Dingle on the Friday Morning. AA routeplanner says 4h 20mins from Longford. We'll have a very long game of EyeSpy to play.

Was going to attend to motivation talk on the Friday night, but couldnt be bothered, :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm no. 61 and my cold is getting worse. The running gods are not being kind to me this year...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

I'm no. 61 and my cold is getting worse. The running gods are not being kind to me this year...:rolleyes:

That was a quick year. Good luck on Saturday and close your eyes as you run past the half marathon finish:D

RQ, so long as it is only a head cold then you should be fine. No need for decorum out on a run so your head should be clear after 20 miles or so:eek:
    And with number 61 you could have the highest number?

Aimman, I am getting the 9 am train from Heuston, arriving in Tralee at 1 and then getting the 2pm train to Dingle. Supposedly arriving at the harbour at 3:10 so I hope to be checked into the hotel by 4.

Aimman, I am getting the 9 am train from Heuston, arriving in Tralee at 1 and then getting the 2pm train to Dingle. Supposedly arriving at the harbour at 3:10 so I hope to be checked into the hotel by 4.

Sure we might need to meet up for a beer... em liquid carb loading session and compare race strategies. I'll pm my mobile number. not sure what time we're getting there, but probably around the same time.

RQ, Vic Vapour Rub and eucalyptus oil should help the breathing over the next few days. Any Vic Vapour rub left over can be used instead of vaseline before the race and that should help keep the airways clear. :D

Saturdays forcast finally showed up on my dashboard. Looks like we'll need umberellas on Saturday :-(

Got number 31 in the Dingle Bingo. No turning back now.

If I remember all the numbers, I can put a few more faces to names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

arriving in Tralee at 1 and then getting the 2pm train to Dingle.

Is there a train out to Dingle? Might want to double-check this....

Is there a train out to Dingle? Might want to double-check this....

Of course I meant bus. The Dingle train line closed a long time ago.

Heres an ultramarathon episode of Marathon Talk. I listened to it last night. Great podcast and easy to download the mp3 file without itunes.
    Scott Jurek was talking about his poor record in the UTMB and I see that his bad luck continues there.

http://www.marathontalk.com/archive/2010/6/23/episode-24-scott-jurek.html

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Hey,
    doing full on Saturday, my third one this year but i'm worried about the hills. Done Dublin and Limerick but they were relatively flat courses.
    Anyone have any tips on how to deal with them on Saturday or am I just over worrying?

PIORUN wrote: »
    Hey,
    doing full on Saturday, my third one this year but i'm worried about the hills. Done Dublin and Limerick but they were relatively flat courses.
    Anyone have any tips on how to deal with them on Saturday or am I just over worrying?

Keep an even effort on the hills. If you try to keep an even pace you will just exhaust yourself.

+1. But use your arms a bit more going up the hills. You'll find you get a bit more momentum by putting in more effort swinging the arms. Trying to keep pace going up a hill will only cause more problems. If you are worried about losing pace, you can make up a bit of time on the downhills.

Heres an ultra marathon episode of Marathon Talk. I listened to it last night. Great podcast and easy to download the mp3 file without itunes.
    Scott Jurek was talking about his poor record in the UTMB and I see that his bad luck continues there.

http://www.marathontalk.com/archive/2010/6/23/episode-24-scott-jurek.html

Cheers for that. I had a listen to it in the car earlier. Was a great confidence booster listening to the training advice for Ultra training. Think I managed to check all the boxes. Might not have done as much hill work as I could have, but I'm not worrying about that. Wont stop me giving it my all on the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement