Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dingle 2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

thanks got the advice. I'm feeling more confident already......

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lipi

Anyone able to confirm if it's water in bottles or cups? The race info didn't specify.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aimman wrote: »
    Saturdays forcast finally showed up on my dashboard. Looks like we'll need umberellas on Saturday :-(

FANTASTIC news!!!! :D:D:D:D

lipi wrote: »
    Anyone able to confirm if it's water in bottles or cups? The race info didn't specify.

Last year was cups. I presume this year will be more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Water is in bottles, I asked a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

All set for Saturday? Had a calf niggle but rest, rest and more rest seems to be working. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have visions of running for 7,8,9, ... hours, in the rain, and arriving at the finish with nobody there.

Can somebody please spare a thought for the Ultra runners and make sure there will still be people cheering at the finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

When you go past me I will be sure to give you a cheer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭deise muay thai

I'm all set now, no. 64. My last long run was The Mountain man in Switzerland (80km) on the 21st of august, I did no training two weeks before that. Since I got back from Switzerland I only did two 3 mile runs, so I'm gonna call my 80km in Switzerland training for Dingle. I'm gonna push hard for this race as it'll be my last long distance race of the year. If you see no. 64 in a heap on the ground I would be greatful of a few chest compressions. Hopefully all this resting will do me good.

Have a good run everyone!

Wally Runs wrote: »
    When you go past me I will be sure to give you a cheer!

This isn't Connemara.

If I run it in 8 hours I will be crossing the line the same time as the 6-hours marathoners.

Methinks this is going to be a very long, very lonely run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Less than 34 hours to go now, I'm getting excited!! Will have minimal internet access after tonight so just wanted to wish all the half, full and (crazy) ultra marathoners the best of luck on Saturday!

Any half/full runners planning on following a pacer make sure you say hi before the race if you can, the pacers are all friendly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Its a bit of a pity that the BBQ & massages are between 12 and 3. Anyone running more than 7 hours in the ultra wont get a bit to eat, but we paid more. Not sure if the evening reception of soup and sambos is just for Ultra runners.

They should have had the BBQ and refreshments at the finish line like in Berlin, to keep the crowd & supporters around to cheer people coming in. Because the full and half start so early, Dingle might be a tumble-weed town by the time some of us are finishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck to all in Dingle, especially the nutters ultra-runners!

Aimman wrote: »
    Its a bit of a pity that the BBQ & massages are between 12 and 3. Anyone running more than 7 hours in the ultra wont get a bit to eat, but we paid more. Not sure if the evening reception of soup and sambos is just for Ultra runners.

They should have had the BBQ and refreshments at the finish line like in Berlin, to keep the crowd & supporters around to cheer people coming in. Because the full and half start so early, Dingle might be a tumble-weed town by the time some of us are finishing.

There are massages in skelligs for us on Sat evening.

There are massages in skelligs for us on Sat evening.

Grand, enough time for me to shave my legs after the race so. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Have we picked a post race meeting point?

Have we picked a post race meeting point?

Dont think so, but I'll pm you my number and I'll text you if we pick a place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nothing left, but to wish you all the very best of luck. Hope you'll all be back next year, as I attempt to tread in the memory of your lofty foot-steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow; Ultra's, pacers, half and full runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

The very best of luck to everyone (from a Kerryman in exile!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I have visions of running for 7,8,9, ... hours, in the rain, and arriving at the finish with nobody there.

Can somebody please spare a thought for the Ultra runners and make sure there will still be people cheering at the finish?
    The only thing worse than running in the rain for 8 hours, is not being able to run in the rain for 8 hours due to injury.
    It's promised pretty mild tomorrow with low wind-speed so even if the predicted rain arrives it should not be too bad.

Your training plan is almost exactly what I would have carried out if I was able to so I am really interested in how it works for you tomorrow.

Good luck to all the runners tomorrow, particularly the Ultras. I will certainly be looking out for you either on the bike or as you pass through the town.

Can't believe I got up at 4:30 to go for a run. Start line bound now in a few minutes, on the weather front I'm pretty sure I woke up Agee times during the night to hear the rain lashing down outside... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Dingle in the sunshine is one of the best places in the world!

Job done for me, brought my group of about 20 home in 1:59:51 based on my watch. Can't flat anything about today, organisation was spot on, the course was beautiful and accurate and they even got the weather right.

First ultra home was 6:22 which is awesome for 50 miles. The others are going to have a long day out there...

Great job by all the pacers, especially on the tough full course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Rumour has it that Aimman wanted to go round againn......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done xebec on the pacing. What was the weather like, did ye avoid all the rain that we got up here this morning?

As for the ultra folks, i still think ye're all mad but serious respect for doing 50 miles of running. I hope ye're all sitting in a seat in Dingle been served drink after a great effort.

• Advertisement

7:27:xx, somewhere around 7th or 9th place apparently, not entirely sure.

Fantastic day, loved the run across Connor Pass, brilliant views all round, even if I wasn't quite able to enjoy them over the last 10 miles.

The legs feel fantastic, hardly any pain yet, but that will change tomorrow. I'm high as a kite, but my stomach is cramping badly whenever I eat anything (that started round mile 30, and never let up).

Can't wait for next year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

7:27:xx, somewhere around 7th or 9th place apparently, not entirely sure.

Fantastic day, loved the run across Connor Pass, brilliant views all round, even if I wasn't quite able to enjoy them over the last 10 miles.

The legs feel fantastic, hardly any pain yet, but that will change tomorrow. I'm high as a kite, but my stomach is cramping badly whenever I eat anything (that started round mile 30, and never let up).

Can't wait for next year :D

Way to go Thomas - a stunning achievement - under 9 minute miles - just short of two sub 4-hour marathons BACK TO BACK.

Rest well and enjoy your wonderful achievement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I was there today, Taking photos(won't be linking cause I know now it's against the rules) have to say it felt alot more welcoming than the Cork marathon(Just my opinion!) people in General seemed more friendly and the crowd seemed alot more enthuiastic. The band/entertainment and commentators were all in good spirits, Partly due to the weather and I had a great day there, Saw a Cake made for the Marathon comittee( I can't remember the name ) and it was a nice gesture(and really well made!) and just made me feel that the event involved alot of the community as much as they could.

Well done to anyone who ran the extreme marathon, I was amazed that people were doing that in 7 hours or so, I found the drive up there to get to the start in time stressful enough nevermind then running 50 miles.

It was a great event, The competitors were friendly the staff/crew/members were friendly and the fans were friendly and the sun just topped off a brilliant day.

Well done everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I was there today, Taking photos(won't be linking cause I know now it's against the rules)
    Dunno why it would be against the rules. :confused:
    Sure put up a link and the mods can decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Dunno why it would be against the rules. :confused:
    Sure put up a link and the mods can decide.

<mod>No problem with anyone linking to (free) sets of their photos- but I believe this poster is selling his photos, which is against the rules here./<mod>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Yep the mods right! Sorry Krusty_Clown!

I had a fantastic time. Day started off rainy and dull, and brighted up by the tim I got to the top of Connor's Pass and the sun scoarched for the resr of the 50M

I'll save the gorey race details for my log, but completed it in 8:49:21 so came in sub 9 hours. Delighted with that

The organisation was fantastic and very professionally done. Water stops were well stocked with a variety of things. Pity theere was a small turn out for the Ultra evening afterwards, but more soup amd samobs for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

results up on the website :)

Ha! results depressed me. :pac:

Couldn't fault the race at all, shame they couldn't do anything about the sunshine an all but it was a great event. Full marks from me, everything seemed to go according to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Some really nice photos up on RacePix from Dingle. How come it was so sunny in Dingle?! It was a miserable one in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I am so proud of you all. The calibre of you ULtra men and women is just so awesome. I hope you enjoy your achievements long into the future, and recovery sweetly after it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'm slightly in awe of the ultra runners who finished this in fabulous conditions for tourists but much to warm for running. Certainly I was heat impacted in the last few miles of the full and the ultra guys would have done 24 miles extra :eek:

I reckon this half is hands down the most scenic half marathon. A great vibe around Dingle before, during and after. The organisation was excellent. Slight quibble on the full. re: the out and back nature of a section of road on the full followed by that steep bit of hill c. mile 21 Its probably no coincidence that some of the pacing groups started to fall apart at this point.. Not good for the motiviation when you look up and see buses struggling to drive up the hill :rolleyes: Anyway, minor quibbles.. all rectifiable.

Make no mistake this is a tough marathon. You can see that from the time lost by nearly everyone in the 2nd half of the marathon. Pacing 3:30 was difficult and it wouldn't have happened if Aaron hadn't carried it through to the finish line as I fizzled in the heat :o Up to the 21/22 mile point we were bang on and had a good bunch of runners, a few of which bravely hung on til the end.

That the ultra guys did 50 miles, which included the conor pass and a difficult marathon course in very warm weather makes their achievement all the more commendable. Well done all.

If you have a spare half hour or so :p, my race report is done. Writing it took almost as long as the race itself. :)

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2010/09/heaven-and-hell.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

If you have a spare half hour or so :p, my race report is done. Writing it took almost as long as the race itself. :)

Inspiring stuff there. Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Brilliant read Thomas, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hillman76

Ran Dingle Marathon yesterday. All credit to the organisers and sponsors for running a marvelous event. Loved the route and enjoyed the banter and friendliness on the road that is sometimes missing from these events. Well marshalled and stationed. Is there a better run marathon in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Just back in the door from Croke park now.
    I have to say that Dingle was a close second to the match and that is no faint praise for the race.
    I ran the marathon last year and the standard of organisation was excellent. I did the Ultra this year and the organisers maintained those same excellent standards.
    In fact the only drawback was the excellent weather. I'm sure the sun is appreciated by the bystanders but not by the runners and it was brutally hot out there after 12.
    Did it in0 8:52:46 and managed to hit Dingle in 4 hours so was happy with that.
    It was nice to see the other Boardies there and well done to all the pacers for the half and marathon. From speaking to runners their efforts were much appreciated.
    Speaking of pacers I think I was doing that job for Aimann for about 12 miles before he sauntered off away from me about 2 miles from the end. The whelp! I hadn't the legs to follow him but he did spur me on to finish under the 9 hours. Thanks man.
    We had a good dip in the harbour afterwards and gave a few other ultra runners a bit of a surprise as we rose out of the waves to applaud them.
    I'm not sure RQ knew what to think when the men from Atlantis rose from the sea to applaud her in the home stretch and I don't think I want to know.
    In summary this was a brilliant race and I will definitely be back again next year.
    Tiobraid Arann abu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done Sarsfields on a great time on Saturday and a great victory yesterday. Just wondering if you were wearing the Blue and Gold in Dingle?

I'ld say the legs didn't feel too bad about 5pm yesterday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gombeen99

Wow, well done to all you mad ultramarathoners! What an incredible achievement - whatever about the obvious physical strength & fitness needed to finish, you truly are ironmen & women in terms of mental strength!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

ronnie085 wrote: »
    results up on the website :)

I see from the results the guys who won the Ultra and the Full Marathon yesterday, both ran in Longford Last weekend. So much for tapering before a marathon. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

mithril wrote: »
    Great pictures! Well done to everyone who did this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

Just read both of these, great reports! Would make you want to go right out there and give it a go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

mithril wrote: »

Some stunning photo's. Would almost make me want to do it. Almost;).

Advertisement