Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dingle 2010

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Stunning day and a great race........Watching the ultras ...i couldnt help be amazed not that they did it.....but the level of composure they had....the first lady looked like she just did an egg and spoon race....as calm and relaxed as could be.Respect to you all.Im trying a mere 50 k in new year..a mere jog for you lads and lasses.
    back with the mere mortals ..i had a modest 4.15..but a 22 minute improvement on last year..so when my quads relax ill enjoy that feeling!!!..the good news i have a super tan!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Lovely weather and scenery, music , atmosphere and people really gave me a boost , hills were a killer though. I was no where near prepared for them. Done full in 3:47 but I had to walk a load of times.
    I done Dublin and Limerick in the last year but Dingle is a different plant to both of them. Was just happy I finished it at the time as there was a few times that I thought I'd give up but now I definitely want to go back a run the whole race.

Am thinking about doing Connemera in April. Anyone know how difficult this is hill wise compared to Dingle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Only back today and i have to say congrats to the organisers this was a great race and one that after pacing at the weekend has made me consider racing it next year absolutely loved it now. Challenging course (feel a bit bad saying that compared to the full and ultra people:o)

Was great to meet good few of the boardsies aswell

Just saw the results though think there was a mix up because otherwise i will be shot far a bad pace making job as has me coming in just under 1.30 (i was pacing the 1.45 right guys?:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

PIORUN wrote: »
    Am thinking about doing Connemera in April. Anyone know how difficult this is hill wise compared to Dingle?

Personally I think Connemara is a bit easier than Dingle, though it is a challenging course as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well done Sarsfields on a great time on Saturday and a great victory yesterday. Just wondering if you were wearing the Blue and Gold in Dingle?

I'ld say the legs didn't feel too bad about 5pm yesterday:D

Thanks. Yes the jersey was on but I forgot to put the sun screen on. Felt really bad in the heat on the road half marathon route. Silly mistake to make as I had some in the bag and should have applied it at the mile 19 aid station.
    Somebody told me after the race that there were a few Tipperary lads in the marathon with the shirts on. Always good to see.
    And today its the head rather than the legs that is killing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lipi

Fantastic race, organised incredibly well.

It was my first full marathon so tried to stick with the four hour pacers. But the heat and the hills wouldn't allow it so managed 4hr 15. Thanks to the pacers for being there, it's a great idea and certainly the 2 hour half pacer (alongside the 4 hour guys) got a huge number of followers in on time.

The atmosphere was great. Thanks to all the supporters along the route and the comaraderie from the other runners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

If you have a spare half hour or so :p, my race report is done. Writing it took almost as long as the race itself. :)

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.com/2010/09/heaven-and-hell.html

TFB and RQ, long runs deserve long reports - these didn't feel long in the reading, just two wonderful descriptions of two epic adventures, which make me want to try something similar myself one day. Definitely. Maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Finally got to do my own report, and guess what... yep, its a long one too.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055917481&page=12

mithril wrote: »

RQ, I think you have a stalker, you're in nearly all the photos. Was delighted to see the one of me and Sarsefieldrock coming out of the sea to cheer you on to the finish! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Somebody told me after the race that there were a few Tipperary lads in the marathon with the shirts on.

Indeed there was, and one very confused Welshman whose club vest was Tipp colours and didn't know what to make of it when runningcoach shouted Up Tipp to him :D
    lipi wrote: »
    Thanks to the pacers for being there, it's a great idea and certainly the 2 hour half pacer (alongside the 4 hour guys) got a huge number of followers in on time.

Yep, it was a big crowd alright, I figured it was about 20 by the time I had run out of people to chase down the last hill. Pity that we lost a few on the hill at mile 11 or it could have been a much bigger number. Having the 4 hour guys with me made my job so much easier though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Could anyone help me out?

I'm trying to find name's of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Full, ultra and half Marathons.

I know there were some foreign names which I could probably confuse as a man/womens name and I'd rather not do that.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Ricky91t wrote: »

I'm trying to find name's of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Full, ultra and half Marathons.

I know there were some foreign names which I could probably confuse as a man/womens name and I'd rather not do that.

Thanks

try the results section on the marathon's official website.

Thanks

Based on the results on the website:

Full men:
    1. Peter Mooney
    2. Lawrence O'Hara
    3. Alistair Mackie

Full women:
    1. Louisa Ruff
    2. Alayne Malkin
    3. Katie Hickson

Half men:
    1. John Meade
    2. Edd Murphy
    3. Allen Flynn

Half women:
    1. Sinone Ryf
    2. Maria McCarthy
    3. Mary Morgan

Ultra men:
    1. Vasiliy Neumerzhitskiy
    2. Malcolm Gamble
    3. Shane Whitty

Ultra women:
    1. Ruthann Sheahan
    2. Ann Marie Holland
    3. Teresa Daly

More photos of the Ultra race about the 10M mark here

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Fantastic reports there people!!
    That sense of pride is priceless, and ye should be very proud of yourselves!!
    Well Done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

xebec wrote: »
    Based on the results on the website:

Full men:
    1. Peter Mooney
    2. Lawrence O'Hara
    3. Alistair Mackie

Full women:
    1. Louisa Ruff
    2. Alayne Malkin
    3. Katie Hickson

Half men:
    1. John Meade
    2. Edd Murphy
    3. Allen Flynn

Half women:
    1. Sinone Ryf
    2. Maria McCarthy
    3. Mary Morgan

Ultra men:
    1. Vasiliy Neumerzhitskiy
    2. Malcolm Gamble
    3. Shane Whitty

Ultra women:
    1. Ruthann Sheahan
    2. Ann Marie Holland
    3. Teresa Daly
    The Hammer wrote: »
    try the results section on the marathon's official website.
    Thanks both! I downloaded the 3 results .xls files but couldn't find this! :rolleyes:

I'll look for longer next time!

Thanks both! I downloaded the 3 results .xls files but couldn't find this! :rolleyes:

I'll look for longer next time!

My info was directly from the Excel files :rolleyes: No worries, had a few minutes to spare this morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Are there any more race pics? I can find none of me! Boo hoo!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They'll be up here soon http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/index.py

I only remember having one official photographer take some of me, he apologised for making me run in the heat too. They'd all packed up long before I'd plodded onto the marathon course.

They'll be up here soon http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/index.py

I only remember having one official photographer take some of me, he apologised for making me run in the heat too. They'd all packed up long before I'd plodded onto the marathon course.

They had 18 events this weekend (yes, I counted them), and the only one still without photos is, of course, Dingle. :mad:

There might not even be any of me. Just like RQ, they had all disappeared by the time I came along. Still hoping for a decent photo from the finish, though.

• Advertisement

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Are there any more race pics? I can find none of me! Boo hoo!

I got given out to by my pacees for the photographers focussing on me and my white balloon. Told them they needed to run in front of me so, but for some reason they didn't like that idea... Hopefully there'll be a decent photo or two, they took enough of them!

They are now available.

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2010/Dingle%20Marathon

There's only one of me, and that's brutal. Ah well. No need to hand over money, then.

I got snapped 15 time. Then again, as he spotted me in the distance, he would have had time to check his light meter, adjust the shutter speed, focus, align the aperture, change the batteries and upload his previous photos to a laptop, publish them on face book and tag everyone, then get the camera ready, refocus and take the photo, by the time I got near him for a photo. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well that was an anti-climax. The selection available is a bit disappointing. Was it a function of the narrow roads and the crowds earlier or the photographer not being in a decent spot. It took them so long to put them online too, not sure why. Felt they could have made more of the tremendous scenery. :( Very unfair on the ultra runners too who feature little. Did anyone think of stationing a cameraman even briefly on the Conor pass road for instance.

Did anyone think of stationing a cameraman even briefly on the Conor pass road for instance.

There was a guy at the bottom of the last climb in the lay by sitting on a car marked photographer, but he didn't seem pushed on taking any photos, thought he might just be setting up for a snap for a newspaper.

I was hoping there was a photographer at the top of Connor's Pass to mark the moment of reaching the summit, but there was nothing there. I would have bought that photo. :(

Luckily I got a great snap coming over the finish line, better than the official ones, so I wont have to buy any souvenirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

There were 13 of me but again nothing with any of the special scenery. And there are a few repeats from same place.
    The one at the finish line doesn't show the clock above you or anything. You wouldn't have any idea that it was the end of the race.
    It would have been nice for somebody to be snapping you coming up the to the top of the Connor pass all right.
    Yerra its only a small quibble.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Just getting around to catching up on 'boarding'.... Had a fantastic time in dingle again this year - the race build up is great.... esp with DJ / MC before really got in the mood... will defo be back again next year. If they could only flatten out a couple of the hills!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I heard (from a very reliable source yesterday) that Half-Marathon winner John Meade got exactly (This space intentionally left blank) for winning the Half-Marathon!

I can't understand how organisers of "commercial races" get away with it. Charging €55 (I think that was the fee) and offer NO PRIZES!!

Today, on the subject of prizes, the Dingle Marathon website says:
    "There will be prizes for first, second and third both male & female for best times in the half, full and ultra marathon.There will also be specially crafted Dingle Crystal pieces for all these categories."

Was this some error? What efforts have they made to rectify it? Anyone else place and not receive anything, or less than was expected?

I really would like to hear what Dingle Marathon Limited have to say on the matter.

DINGLEMARATHON LIMITED
    Registered Number: 466177
    Company Type: PRIVATE LIMITED BY SHARES
    Company Status: NORMAL
    Principal NACE Code: [92.34] OTHER ENTERTAINMENT ACTIVITIES N.E.C.
    Incorporated: 12/01/2009
    Registered Address:
    2 HILLSIDE
    FERNDALE
    ENNIS ROAD
    LIMERICK

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Maybe you should ask them, might be more productive use of your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

The organiser of Dingle just rang me and we spoke at length. Its up to Dingle whether or not they wish to respond here or elsewhere.

John Meade's prize for winning the Dingle Half-Marathon 2010 comprised a piece of Dingle Crystal, a hoodie and free entry to next year's event. I understand that the same was on offer for 1st, 2nd and 3rd placed man and woman in each of the three events; Ultra, Marathon & Half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

At least they got something, at the limerick marathon apparently the winners got nothing. I guess if people were really were bothered about the prizes they would have e-mailed the organisers beforehand to see if it was worth it or not. I doubt if people who generally win races do it for the prizes, I agree its not the best when you consider the entry fees.

Advertisement