Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability/Advocacy Studies

Options
  • 23-11-2009 7:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience about this area?

I've been hunting around and whilst there are a couple of courses, getting specific information isn't particularly easy, that is, what sort of people do they take on, what skills do students develop on the course, what have past graduates go on to do? One thing I think that's crucial is to have something involving a placement, not something I've come across as of yet.

So far I've noticed that UCD has two courses - one is if you're already in the area/working with a client group, the other is research based - you need a proposal and supervisor ready to go. UCC seems to have a Dip, but I'm not sure about its setup. I don't think there's much else in this country. Sligo IT has a level 6 Higher Certificate in Arts in Advocacy Studies whilst Maynooth's Department of Adult and Community Education has a level 7 course in Disability Studies run through the Centre of Independent Living. Leeds university has a couple of MAs in Disability including ones with emphases on health/illness/gender, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well try looking/ contacting the National Institute for Intellectual Disabiltities in Trinity if you're thinking of a research masters... I'm doing my PhD here, and it's a nice place, with a wide range of expertise for supervision...

www.tcd.ie/niid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oh, I just noticed your placement thing... I presume then you wouldn't nec be looking at research masters... sorry. Although the NIID have students with disabilties in every day so you work closely with them as partners in research...

Man, it SO sounds like I'm a pimp for the place!!!

Leeds has a great reputation if you were thinking of there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hey, thanks. No, not really a research Masters, or Intellectual Disability, to be honest. I've heard Leeds has a good reputation as a college, but do you mean in terms of its DS courses as well?

Just noticed that Waterford has a level 6 Advocacy course, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Just noticed that Waterford has a level 6 Advocacy course, too.

This course has not started yet, lack of numbers is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

IT Sligo do it and you can do it in Dublin through IT Sligo

http://www.sligoit.ie/prospective_students/Business_Humanities/advocacy.html

I'm halfway through the course - myself - The course content is very good but I have had problems with ITS administration

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for that. I'm thinking of doing the Sligo IT one. If you don't have links with a placement, etc, is it difficult to find one? Glad to hear the course is good. Are the problems with the admin interfering with how the course is run? I understand if you don't want to go into detail here.

Thanks for that. I'm thinking of doing the Sligo IT one. If you don't have links with a placement, etc, is it difficult to find one? Glad to hear the course is good. Are the problems with the admin interfering with how the course is run? I understand if you don't want to go into detail here.

I've only just started looking for my placement but I don't think it's a big problem

The admin problems were very incoveniencing at first -but a lot of it has been ironed out - hopefully things are better this year

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks :) I don't suppose anyone has experience of this course or Carmichael House/CIL?

Can I ask, how are you finding the course workload?

Can I ask, how are you finding the course workload?

There's a lot in it - a bit tougher than I expected

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

OK, thanks. :) I've applied so I'll see how it goes.

Got an email offering me a place 'subject to verification of your results' and they need a €200 deposit. Wasn't expecting word back, but good news. :)

Got an email offering me a place 'subject to verification of your results' and they need a €200 deposit. Wasn't expecting word back, but good news. :)

Best of luck

Terry Pratchet

Thanks :) Got an email saying they'll make a decision whether or not the course goes ahead in mid August.

Thanks :) Got an email saying they'll make a decision whether or not the course goes ahead in mid August.

subject to numbers?

Terry Pratchet

Well good luck - my advice would be -

If the tutor says they want a non academic essay then give them a non academic essay

If the tutor says they want an academic essay then give them an academic essay

Make sure that you are clear what the tutor wants - You'll know what I mean

also with the work placement module try and organise that months beforehand

Terry Pratchet

Thanks for that. :)

Non-academic? I think it's been a while since I've written one of those. Do you mean purely descriptive or a personal reflection type thing?

A while back I asked about TCD's Postgraduate Diploma in Education Studies (Disability Needs Assessment) which is apparently no longer running.

Seem to be hitting a bit of a brick wall. Maybe I should consider the UK even if the deadlines have passed there's always 2011.‏

Heard that this course was in the works. Little information on it so far. I'll make a few more phone calls.

http://www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies/prospectivestudents/courses/taught/listing/atozpg.php?course_id=200

This course might be of interest as well

http://www.activelink.ie/node/2540

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I applied for that and had an interview in January. They weren't hopeful as less than half of the interviewees showed up. I got a letter about it last month mentioning another interview/meeting with the course team for August, but I think I'm going to pass on it. No word on the Sligo IT Advocacy course yet, are you still doing it?

I'm starting, providing all goes to plan, this distance MA through Leeds in September.

I applied for that and had an interview in January. They weren't hopeful as less than half of the interviewees showed up. I got a letter about it last month mentioning another interview/meeting with the course team for August, but I think I'm going to pass on it. No word on the Sligo IT Advocacy course yet, are you still doing it?

I'm starting, providing all goes to plan, this distance MA through Leeds in September.

I finished the advocacy course - am starting the Masters in Equality Studies in UCD in September

Terry Pratchet

Good stuff, I hope it goes well.

Do you think it would be possible to do the Advocacy course alongside a part-time Masters? Sligo rang today, I wasn't in so someone took a message for me. Apparently it's 5 Saturdays per semester or 4 Saturdays and 1 Friday: 9:30-4:30, something like that. I've to read to the UK for 2 weekends for the Masters so I could end up missing some of the Sligo course. At this rate, I need more experience than paper on my CV.

Advertisement