Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help! Poll to Help with Shooters PR - Number 1

Options
  • 23-11-2009 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Following some interesting discussions on earlier threads and some great suggestions / ideas / orders (:rolleyes:), it was felt (by some) that more information might be useful to inform and hopefully progress in some way toward perhaps formulating an updated and integrated approach to educating, informing, and generally helping the wider public to understand:

a. Who we are as participants of the various shooting sports, disciplines, and activities
    b. What we do
    c. Why we do it.

To help give an up-to-date and wide-ranging "snap-shot" of the shooting community (in all its variations and diversity:D) as represented here in the sports > shooting forums on boards.ie, some polls to help give a better picture of us shooters, our interests, and our ideas will be posted over the coming days.

It would be great if as many shooters as possible could respond to these polls to give as wide a view as possible.:)

We may be on an absolute hiding-to-nothing with this and nothing may come of it. No promises / no Guarantees!:D But if we can all respond to these polls, it may be the start of something interesting!

This will be the first of, hopefully, 3 polls over the coming days.

Your Voice is Important - Despite how life may sometimes appear to the contrary!:) - So please let's all try and make this work.

Thanks.

(Please do not post replies to this thread - This thread is only a Poll - another thread will be introduced shortly for innovative and productive ideas!)

Which of these best describes your Shooting activity? (Multiple Selections Possible) 463 votes

Hunting Shooter - Rifles (Including "Varminting")
    0% 0 votes
    Hunting Shooter - Shotguns (Including "Varminting")
    16% 76 votes
    Hunting Shooter - Airgun (Including "Varminting")
    15% 73 votes
    Air Pistol Shooter - Target
    1% 7 votes
    Airgun Shooter - Target
    1% 5 votes
    Airgun Shooter - Field Target (e.g. FT, HFT, or Similar)
    1% 6 votes
    Airgun Shooter (e.g. Plinking, General Recreational, etc.)
    0% 0 votes
    Clay Pigeon Shooter
    0% 1 vote
    Skeet Shooter
    10% 48 votes
    Sporting Clays Shooter
    1% 7 votes
    Target Rifle (TR) Fullbore Shooter (e.g. CISM, UIT, Palma, Standard, etc.)
    4% 22 votes
    Benchrest Target Shooter - Benchrest 50-100m
    3% 17 votes
    Benchrest Target Shooter - Benchrest 100m Outward
    4% 21 votes
    Long-distance Target Shooter (e.g. 300m - 1200m, F-Class , F/TR, or Similar)
    1% 9 votes
    Rimfire Target Rifle Shooter (e.g. .22 prone, 3P, Indoors, etc.)
    4% 22 votes
    Vintage & Classic Rifle Shooter
    4% 21 votes
    Gallery Shooter
    3% 14 votes
    Silhouette Shooter
    1% 6 votes
    C/F Pistol Shooter (Any Discipline)
    1% 5 votes
    Rimfire Pistol Shooter (Any Discipline)
    7% 37 votes
    General Recreational Shooter - "Plinking" or Similar
    5% 26 votes
    Other (Apologies if any activity omitted) - PM to have updated
    7% 37 votes
    Collector/Antiques Enthusiast
    0% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

Well ok
    Who are you to start the ball rolling
    dCorbus wrote: »
    Following some interesting discussions on earlier threads and some great suggestions / ideas / orders (:rolleyes:), it was felt (by some) that more information might be useful to inform and hopefully progress in some way toward perhaps formulating an updated and integrated approach to educating, informing, and generally helping the wider public to understand:

a. Who we are as participants of the various shooting sports, disciplines, and activities
    b. What we do
    c. Why we do it.

To help give an up-to-date and wide-ranging "snap-shot" of the shooting community (in all its variations and diversity:D) as represented here in the sports > shooting forums on boards.ie, some polls to help give a better picture of us shooters, our interests, and our ideas will be posted over the coming days.

It would be great if as many shooters as possible could respond to these polls to give as wide a view as possible.:)

We may be on an absolute hiding-to-nothing with this and nothing may come of it. No promises / no Guarantees!:D But if we can all respond to these polls, it may be the start of something interesting!

This will be the first of, hopefully, 3 polls over the coming days.

Your Voice is Important - Despite how life may sometimes appear to the contrary!:) - So please let's all try and make this work.

Thanks.

(Please do not post replies to this thread - This thread is only a Poll - another thread will be introduced shortly for innovative and productive ideas!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Well ok

I'm just a guy trying to help!:D

Nice to know one can rely on the help and support of fellow shooters.
    Will you help with this?:)
    Please do not post replies to this thread - This thread is only a Poll - another thread will be introduced shortly for innovative and productive ideas!)

Please help out by making this easier.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

xesse wrote: »
    Well ok

I can vouch for dCorbus having met him many times and been involved in shoots with him.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A poll doesn't need to be done by some official body xesse.

It's nice to see the wide range of groups showing up in the poll btw.

Fair play to you all!:)
    It's nice to see the wide range of groups showing up in the poll

Interesting stats coming in! Keep those votes rolling in!:D
    Thanks

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    I can vouch for dCorbus having met him many times and been involved in shoots with him.

Same here. Very nice guy and he is taking time out to help with PR.
    I am very happy he is doing this and offering to help people.

This poll will stay open for another two weeks in order for everyone interested to cast their vote.
    The more information gleaned, the better!
    So as the man said: "Vote early and Often!":D

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far!:)

Bump!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

As I mentioned in the other thread, ownership for antique curiousity.

Ref: My reply on the other poll:
    Thanks Kowloon,

Do you actually shoot the antique firearms?
    If so, perhaps you would come under the "Enthusiast" category (based on my earlier post / definition)?

If not, I will try to get another category for "Collector / Antiques Enthusiast (Non-shooting)" added to the poll. I'm not sure this can be done, but I'll ask the MODS.

If this cannot be done - I have a record of your category anyway from this post.

Hope this is of some help!:D

dC

Thanks Kowloon,

I'll see what I can do about adding "Collector" to this poll.
    Again, if not possible, your category has been noted.:D

dC

• Advertisement

new categories added as requested!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Thank god you fixed the poll.

Deeks:
    Thank god you fixed the poll.

Is this some kind of vote-rigging accusation, I see before me?!:D

Over a 100 votes cast now!
    Fair play to everyone!
    Keep em coming:D
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

b. What we do
    c. Why we do it.

See dictonary defination of Public Relations

dCorbus: I'm just a guy trying to help!biggrin.gif

Zaraba : Same here. Very nice guy and he is taking time out to help with PR. I am very happy he is doing this and offering to help people.

Check out his (dCorbus) other posts. If anyone wants to be a PRO position, I would rather a living person ( not an anonoymous avatar) that shoots and that I could see every weekend at the range and/or was availaibe by phone or email .

Does anyone remember "The Hunt for Red October" when the americans first gain a foothold on the Russian sub, and the ruskies talk in russian and then Baldwin laughs, and Connery says you speak Ruski, and Baldwin says "it is good to know the ways of your enemy".

On any internet forum, you do not know who you are passing the keys of the castle too. JUST BEWARE.

If he is true to his word, then I apologise, but shooters before have invested in a bag of magic beans, and been sold out, with no beanstalk, from a casual trader on the side of the road.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

b. What we do
    c. Why we do it.

See dictonary defination of Public Relations
    He has not done any PR yet unless you count running a couple of polls and posting on an internet forum as PR in which case everyone here is involved as well.

And tonysopprano would you be so kind as to use QUOTE instead of COLOR; the yellow is particularly illegible. If you can click the colour button you can click the quote one, it looks like this: quote.gif
    Check out his (dCorbus) other posts. If anyone wants to be a PRO position, I would rather a living person ( not an anonoymous avatar) that shoots and that I could see every weekend at the range and/or was availaibe by phone or email .
    Why did you not read his posts then? He never said he wanted a PRO position, just that he'd run some polls discuss them here and see if people had any strategies which could be passed on to the relevant people.
    On any internet forum, you do not know who you are passing the keys of the castle too. JUST BEWARE.
    Two people have already stated that they know him personally, is that not good enough? I don't know you personally tony, does that mean I shouldn't heed your advice?

Identity Theft

Excuse me? That's a criminal offence you are accusing me of by the way.
    Check out his (dCorbus) other posts

Please feel free to do so.
    If anyone wants to be a PRO position

Don't think I've ever said I wanted that position, did I? In fact, in response to other posts on another thread, I made it quite clear that that was not something I wanted.
    not an anonoymous avatar

Aren't we all here? Who is tonysoprano? Because I know who I am, and many posters here also know who I am.
    I would rather a living person ( not an anonoymous avatar) that shoots and that I could see every weekend at the range and/or was availaibe by phone or email

I could say the same about you - or are you actually tonysoprano, and maybe you could tell us what the series ending actually meant?:D

For the record, I am not, for obvious reasons, going to identify myself on here - However, there are many here on boards who have met me. I am a shooter - shooting in a number of clubs and ranges. Maybe you have seen me every weekend, you just don't know - Maybe if you were unsure, you could have PM'd me?
    Does anyone remember "The Hunt for Red October" when the americans first gain a foothold on the Russian sub, and the ruskies talk in russian and then Baldwin laughs, and Connery says you speak Ruski, and Baldwin says "it is good to know the ways of your enemy".

Well, I'm no Sleeper or Mole, if that's what you're worried about.

100% agree with you there.:D
    If he is true to his word, then I apologise

Frankly, tonysoprano, you should apologise now for implying some alterior motive to my actions and particularly (MODS note please) accusing me of a criminal offence (see Title of tonysoprano's post)

Thanks for this!:D

Not sure I'm gonna bother my f***ing arse helping out now - why bother lending a hand to try and improve things for all us shooters, when I get accused of scrurilious activities and criminal actions.:mad:

Or maybe tonysoprano want's me to start naming names as to who knows me and who I know?

Who's the Sleeper Agent here?:D

Me or tonysoprano - or maybe just maybe neither of us?:D

tony, you can buy me a coffee someday and face-to-face you can ask me what you need to know. Just PM me.:D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

There's no need to get noses out of joint or start accusing people of anything.

If you want to contribute something, then do so. If not, don't. It's pretty simple.

I've met dCorbus. He shoots in DURC and in Midlands.

Nobody's truly anonymous on the internet. If someone wants to find out who you are, they will. Post as if you're signing each post with your real name and you'll do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Frankly, tonysoprano, you should apologise now for implying some alterior motive to my actions and particularly (MODS note please) accusing me of a criminal offence (see Title of tonysoprano's post)

Thanks for this!:D

Not sure I'm gonna bother my f***ing arse helping out now - why bother lending a hand to try and improve things for all us shooters, when I get accused of scrurilious activities and criminal actions.:mad:
    Welcome to the world of those who put their head over the parapet :D

Many people ask why more isn't done, or why people keep their heads down and try not to get involved. Now you're getting an idea as to what the real problem is.

Apart from ignorance (in all its forms), paranoia, chinese whispers, character assassination, accusations of selfish ulterior motives, selling out and everything in between, representing people is a rewarding and much appreciated (unpaid) job. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If he is true to his word, then I apologise, but shooters before have invested in a bag of magic beans, and been sold out, with no beanstalk, from a casual trader on the side of the road.
    Well, he shoots regularly in DURC, has bought a rifle from another poster on here, and is known to several of the regulars out there in the "real world". So no, he's not a DoJ employee trying to come in and steal our women take our jobs betray the cause pull a fast one.

Mind you, I can think of a dozen or so names off the top of my head who are very public within our community, whom everyone would know, and who've done far more harm to our collective sports with their official public actions than anyone has through the kind of masquerade you're talking about.

See, that's another one of our problems - we're so focussed on what look like obvious problems (but which aren't terribly realistic outside of a hollywood drama), that we don't correctly watch the real problems until it's far too late.

Temporarily stickied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Greenacre

This place is gas,

Is it any wonder our sport is always on the back foot?

Stop the in-fighting and present a united front

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

wrong thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, he shoots regularly in DURC, has bought a rifle from another poster on here, and is known to several of the regulars out there in the "real world". So no, he's not a DoJ employee trying to come in and steal our women take our jobs betray the cause pull a fast one.

Mind you, I can think of a dozen or so names off the top of my head who are very public within our community, whom everyone would know, and who've done far more harm to our collective sports with their official public actions than anyone has through the kind of masquerade you're talking about.

See, that's another one of our problems - we're so focussed on what look like obvious problems (but which aren't terribly realistic outside of a hollywood drama), that we don't correctly watch the real problems until it's far too late.

I agree.

Less than one week to go on this poll!
    Thank you to all who have voted already.
    Please do keep those votes coming in - the more info to hand the more useful this exercise may work out!:)
    All the best - Thank.
    dC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Is there any idea of how many centerfire pistol licenses have been fully granted so far, when I say fully granted I mean that the shooter has the actual license, not just a letter of grant, saying that a license will issue as 5/8 shooters in Kerry got their licenses complete with a letter from their Chief Superintendent saying to ignore their license that it was issued in error and hence forth revoked!

I'm interested because I got two refusals and am worried that not many centefire pistol licenses have been issued around the country, zero, none in Kerry.

Many thanks, keep up the good work.

HJ:)

Thanks HJ
    I mean that the shooter has the actual license, not just a letter of grant, saying that a license will issue as 5/8 shooters in Kerry got their licenses complete with a letter from their Chief Superintendent saying to ignore their license that it was issued in error and hence forth revoked!

Flipping Heck!:eek:

How does that work legally, I wonder?! Surely it was the CS who "granted" the license - I mean, how can the little paper licence thingy be issued without the CS / Super / FO approval and this approval being entered into PULSE and then the fabulous slip-of-paper with nice plastic wallet issuing? Surely, someone has to enter the "approval" into PULSE first?:confused: and then the Licence issues.

Might be interesting to obtain the application file under a FOI request - if at all possible and see if this actually is a "Revocation" of the "granted / approved licence" - then check what the stated grounds for the "revocation" are - with this information you may have some grounds to discuss this with your legal advisers? (Again, just my opinion and you'll need some really good legal advice on this from your NGB and possibly your solicitor).

But it does sound extremely odd that the paperwork would issue for a "granted licence" and then be immediately "revoked"!:eek:

Best of luck with that, either way.
    Is there any idea of how many centerfire pistol licenses have been fully granted so far

Not sure - I think there was another poll on here looking for that info. But if not, maybe you could start one?

I know there has been a lot of discussion on that one particular topic, so the "answer" is probably on here somewhere - although, that information is probably only anecdotal at this stage;). Some lads seem to be getting grants and some aren't - there doesn't appear to be any consistency to the whys or wherefores!:confused:

Best to ask some of the other posters about this one - certainly, there are lads / ladies with far more knowledge out there than me on this particular subject!:D

dC

This Poll has now closed!

A Major Thank You to all who voted / posted in response to this.:D
    It's great to get some information and feedback.

Whilst the final number of votes is relatively low (125) considering the number of posters on here, this is totally understandable and appreciated. But thanks to all who viewed, posted, and voted on this!:)

Gonna try and analyse these figures and information and see if we can get some sort of picture - despite the statistically low number of votes, we may be able to extrapolate some kind of overview - or so I'm hoping!:D

So, again, a big thank you to all who contributed!:D
    And "watch this space":D.

dC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

IRLConor wrote: »
    There's no need to get noses out of joint or start accusing people of anything.

If you want to contribute something, then do so. If not, don't. It's pretty simple.

I've met dCorbus. He shoots in DURC and in Midlands.

Nobody's truly anonymous on the internet. If someone wants to find out who you are, they will. Post as if you're signing each post with your real name and you'll do well.

I've spoken to him there and he seems a genuinely nice guy ............. therefore, he couldn't work for the Government :p

Advertisement