Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photoshop Pickle!

• 23-11-2009 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am struggling with teaching myself photoshop (not v techy!). I am looking for a simple, easy to read book explaining the basics . . . just simple stuff to get me started. Had a quick browse on Amazon and there seems to be lots of choice . . . does anybody have any recommendations . . ?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Google is your friend ;)
    Have a look >> HERE << it may be of some help to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

vectra wrote: »
    Google is your friend ;)
    Have a look >> HERE << it may be of some help to you

no need for a high horse !!!

The OP is asking for recommendations - from other boardsies !!!

(for all you know the op has already googled and since theres loads of choice she's asking for anyone with experience to throw out some names of books that they have found easy to understand)

OP... Suppose its stupid of me to throw this out but theres always one of those "Photoshop for Dummies" books, I havent used it but it should be something along the lines of what you need/want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

does anybody have any recommendations . . ?
    Google is your friend

Google dosn't do recommendations.

OP, I don't have any of them, but the Scott Kelby books always get great reviews. From what I've seen, they're a lot more user friendly.

I have one of the Photoshop CS3 For Photography books, it's very technical, and tbh, I don't go back to it too often. It just gets a bit uninteresting after a few reads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

I got the Photoshop CS3 book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby and found it very handy when I started out. It explains how to do the sort of thing that a photographer might need without going really into technicalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,610 ✭✭✭✭vectra

lilly03 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am struggling with teaching myself photoshop (not v techy!). I am looking for a simple, easy to read book explaining the basics . . . just simple stuff to get me started. Had a quick browse on Amazon and there seems to be lots of choice . . . does anybody have any recommendations . . ?

Thanks a mil
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    no need for a high horse !!!

The OP is asking for recommendations - from other boardsies !!!

(for all you know the op has already googled and since theres loads of choice she's asking for anyone with experience to throw out some names of books that they have found easy to understand)

OP... Suppose its stupid of me to throw this out but theres always one of those "Photoshop for Dummies" books, I havent used it but it should be something along the lines of what you need/want.

First off I dont have a horse.. especially a high one.:D
    I pointed out the links that I googled as some of them are EASY to READ.
    I use them myself as I am only a beginner and find some of them useful. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

First off I'll pull the old Irish one and suggest that the OP doesn't start from here..

I'd suggest having a look at Lightroom, it's much more beginner friendly.

Having said that I myself bought this and found it very useful, it's PS3 vintage but the principles are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have the scott kelby one for Photoshop CS3 and found it very handy, well explained too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I have just got Photoshop CS4 myself and am in the same boat as the op. I have googled and googled and spent hours watching youtube tutorials.

I'd be interested in similar advice.

Where to start?
    How to tell what a particular photo needs?
    How to tell when I've overdone it ?
    The fundamentals (building blocks) of image editing (layers, masks, overlaying etc)

Is lynda.com any good (is it worth a months subscription)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

nilhg wrote: »
    First off I'll pull the old Irish one and suggest that the OP doesn't start from here..

I'd suggest having a look at Lightroom, it's much more beginner friendly.

Having said that I myself bought this and found it very useful, it's PS3 vintage but the principles are the same.

I would have to agree with the Lightroom suggestion. Lot easier to get the hang of starting off. And of course, Lightroom 3 is free till April.....

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lilly03

Cool . . thanks for the tips guys
    (even those on their high horses - 'google' - mmm must look that up . . and eh google it :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have never read any books on it but I do know there is a photoshop for dummies book, now I dont mean that as in youre a dummie, these books can actually be simple to follow, mind hubbie still cant play guitar after buying him guitar for dummies, lol maybe that says something about him:D haha, making myself laugh now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Personally I have found Guy Gowan's techniques the best way to work with Photoshop I have seen so far. The problem is I had to unlearn all the bad habits I had picked up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

I got a Photoshopcafe DVD tutorial for CS4, I have gone through it several times and find it very easy to follow and understand.

Here is a link to one of the lessons if you want to take look.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL-3JpJpSh4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

Would suggest caution with Lightroom 3 - it's beta software and as per adobe only recommended for testing not production as things may go wrong. I use Lightroom 2 and find it fulfills 90% of my needs...as a photographer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

The Scott Kelby ones are good. He uses a slightly 'jokey' style sometimes, which irritates some people.

The other author I would recommend is by Martin Evening.

If you check Amazon, you'll find a selection of books by both of them.

(I have one of each !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

Hi all

I find Gavin Hoey the BEST teacher on the net.

His videos deal step by step with photoshop and picture taking.

clear, consice and most entertaining.

Take a look

Advertisement