Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for an I.T noob

Options
  • 23-11-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hey,

I am currently doing a HDip in Computer Science and would like some advice regarding certification etc. By the end of the course I will have covered the following certs: Certified Internet Web Professionals (CIW qualifications), A+ qualifications and Systems Management and Networking (Microsoft XP & Server qualifications).

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice as to what certs I should go for after this to improve my employment prospects? Being almost halfway through the course, I still don't know which area of I.T I would like to pursue as a career. I came into the course having zero knowledge of computers but I'm really liking the course.
    Anyway, I have read a lot about courses like VMWare, CCNA etc but would it be realistic for someone with my lack of knowledge to get into something that detailed yet or are there other courses more suited?

Apologies that I can't be more specific as I'm really still finding ground in the industry. If anyone could pass on some advice I would grately appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I would recommend the MCSA/MCSE route first as it will provide a good grounding in server and networking area's that require much more detail. I myself would be interested in the VMWare route but the course you have to attend to do the cert is like €2k!
    I passed the MCSA by doing self-study and while difficult, it is a good course to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Thanks for the reply majiktripp. I have seen a lot about the MCSA and the self-study route would definitely be the suitable way for me. Is it possible to do something similar with VMware or do you have to do the course too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I think for VMWare you have to actually attend a day long or weekend long course before you can get the cert itself, generally you can sit the exams for courses after doing self study but they have it so you have to show you have done the course proper I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

you do have to do the vmware course. last time i checked it was €1800-2000 you can study and
    pass the test without doing it but you won't get the cert.

A MCSA would be much more use to you starting out in IT with getting your first job, even with a
    vmware cert without experience no one would hire you for a job that a vmware cert was a requirement.

If your course is getting you to do 2 MS exams you might be halfway to your MCSA. check this link microsoft.com/learning and
    check your course to see if your doing some of the exams list on microsoft page and what other one's you might need to get a MCSA

I would say after you get a MCSA you could think about keep going for a MCSE or get a CCNA if you want to get in to networks
    (CCNA or the easier CCENT are great for your understanding of networking even if your not intending to be a network engineer)

Coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Does the HDip just cover the course work for those certs? Or do you actually sit the vendor's exam and get their certs in post?

• Advertisement

Thanks for advice Coyote.

Donaghs, we actually sit the exams for the certs and receive them in post.

I've sat the A+ already and will have CIW done (and hopefully passed) by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

I suppose i depends on the sort of job you want. I think a lot of IT college courses have a heavy empasis on sofware development/programming? Generally better paid jobs than System Admin and Support jobs.

Most businesses use Windows so if you want to aim for System Admin the MCSA-type qualification is a good starting point. The XP/Vista and Server exams (I think you said they're part of your course) should mean you'll be already half-way there. A+ & Network+ plus together used to count as an "elective".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

It sounds like your boxing yourself into sysadmin / tech support with the certs your pursuing, nothing wrong with that, as long as you are aware of the area of IT your heading towards.

I'm also doing Java and C as part of the course however we spent a very short period of time learning these languages and I definitely wouldn't feel too proficient at them.

I certainly don't want to box myself into one type of job. I thought I might be able to get experience in support and then move on from there. I definitely would like more options and if developing is the route for it, i'd definitely be interested. As I said, my knowledge of Java and C is very limited but I suppose it's something I should try and learn in my spare time. If anyone would have advice regarding studying java, knowledge of extra courses in it or reading on the subject, i'd appreciate any feedback.

Advertisement