Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken from the Chinese?!?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Can anyone tell me why the chicken (and beef) from the Chinese takeaway always have a jelly texture?

Im starting to wonder if its chicken at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Peterpower wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why the chicken (and beef) from the Chinese takeaway always have a jelly texture?

What Chinese takeaway would be the real question

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've had that before alright :o I just don't go back to a place if the chicken is like that tbh.. I always ask for whole breast, that way I know it's not dodgy.. although there are still places like the Charlies chain and Tin Tins on Baggot Street who will still serve you the rubbery sh1te even after you ask for breast :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Peterpower wrote: »

It's from the marinade they use. They're probably not doing it right and used too much cornstarch or something. Chicken breasts are pre-cooked without the use of marinade so they have a different texture to the marinaded stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

They buy the cheapest chicken (frozen from holand and pumped with water) and the cheapest beef and in order to "tenderise" it they add soda bicarbonate to the marinade to it give it that elastic band texture.
    Before pre cooking it they add a load of potato starch to the mixture before chucking it in meduim hot oil. the potato starch gives it a shiny slimy coating that makes the sauces stick to it.
    Who said chinese take away wasnt healthy???:D

Oh...and they soak prawns in water to make them puff up a bit???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Actually, most Chinese take-aways cook the chicken breasts first by boiling them whole and then chopping them up into chunks and storing them in the fridge until they're ready to be used.

When an order comes in the pieces are then dunked in boiling water (along with the vegetables if it's a Curry) and then they're put in the tray and the Curry sauce is poured over them.

If it's a Chowmein, or other stir fried type dish, the meat is done in the same way but the vegetables are stir fried to which the meat is then added.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    They buy the cheapest chicken (frozen from holand and pumped with water)

Also pumped up with pig protein and sometimes beef protein to absorb even more water (weight).

Quick search throws up article from 2002
    Chicken fillets imported into the Irish Republic from the Netherlands had been injected with beef and pig protein, a probe has established.

The Irish Food Safety Authority found animal DNA in 17 out of 30 samples.

The fillets had also been "bulked up" with water to make them look bigger, and some contained just 55% meat. Food Safety Authority chief executive Dr Patrick Wall said the meat additives had been injected so the fillets could absorb more water.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-87455372.html

:eek:

You'd hope that they would've found animal DNA in 30 out of 30 samples. Last time I checked, chicken was classed as an animal!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I imagine they meant foriegn animal

Mellor wrote: »
    I imagine they meant foriegn animal
    Like Dutch Chickens?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    They buy the cheapest chicken (frozen from holand and pumped with water) and the cheapest beef and in order to "tenderise" it they add soda bicarbonate to the marinade to it give it that elastic band texture.

No no, they always say in the takeaway menu that it's fillet beef they're using, so it MUST be fillet beef! :D
    tricky D wrote: »

Hmmm...maybe not always fillet then... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement