Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog fencing /collars

Options
  • 23-11-2009 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

hi

i cant keep my dogs in and am thinking of investing in a electric fencing system the one where the dog wares a collar and can roam freely within the parameters of the garden. Im looking for advice on brands and some feedback from you who have used them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

you can get petsafe ones, i think they are €300. they work by putting wire around the parameter which has a radio signal, when the collar comes close to it they get a static shock. they are effective but only with training ive heard of dogs running through them and then not wanting to repeat the process and so get "locked out" of the parameter.
    im not a fan cos i dont like the idea of negative reinforcement plus if you use something like a dog pen it will keep other dogs out and you wont have to worry about changing batteries or what happens if you get a power cut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

advantages:

If you do the training properly, with the perimeter flags and all that, the dog(s) will cop on pretty quickly and only ever get shocked once before they recognise the fence

It's cheaper than a large, proper fence

disadvantages:

It will keep your dogs in, but it won't keep others out

Any disruption in battery power, mains power or damage to the wire (quite common) and your dogs will be gone in a flash

Any strong incentive to do a runner (bitch in heat for example) will override the shock and the dog will just run right through the fence anyway ...only it won't be able to get back in again

The collar is irritating and can cause a rash

The fence can't be trusted to leave the dogs unsupervised for long

The fence needs regular checks and perimeter patrols to see if it is still working properly

summary

Better than nothing at all, but very much inferior to a proper fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Have one on half acre site for 3 years - one wire break (my fault). Mains powered with back up battery pack, Collar charged about once a month. Very effective with correct training. Shocked myself when installing - would not want it to happen again!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

NauP wrote: »
    Have one on half acre site for 3 years - one wire break (my fault). Mains powered with back up battery pack, Collar charged about once a month. Very effective with correct training. Shocked myself when installing - would not want it to happen again!:eek:[/QUOTE]

So you would be happy to put this on your dog??:confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Correct me if i'm wrong but thoses collars are supposed to just give a little vibration not an actual shock , even if it was a vibration , i wouldnt recommend using it , i dont think it can do a dogs brain waves any good , Kids and mobiles phones to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hunterwelly

i dont think it can do a dogs brain waves any good

Isn't there a tinfoil helmet you can get for your dog to protect his brain waves from the collar? I think I saw them on petsnuggles.com right next to the slip lead decruelifier pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

you can set it to
    • beep
    • vibrate
    • 1-5 levels of shocking

as far as i remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

i can't see how these would work, I have two and half meter walls - fences around my "dog" area and sometimes i wory they will break through these - if they where going beserk enough cos of another dog on "their" property i can't see any shock other than an imobilising one stopping them, and as someone else mentioned it doesn't stop stray/loose dogs getting in. Might be worth using it as a secondary fence line, say inside a fenced/walled area, having somewhere "electrically fenced off" to save parts of the garden from dog doo and digging

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Peasant has summed up the pros & cons very well - should be a sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They're not reliable, would you consider a dog run there's a few companies that do dog run panels now and you can add on to them and make them as big as you like. Or FRS do fencing as well you could perhaps fence off a section of the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Isn't there a tinfoil helmet you can get for your dog to protect his brain waves from the collar? I think I saw them on petsnuggles.com right next to the slip lead decruelifier pads.
    Infracted - please read the forum charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

We used to have one, we had 4 dogs at the time and simply couldnt afford to fence our half acre. Weighed up the options and thought an electric fence was better than the small size of run we could get for the same money.

In the long run we didnt like it, one dog is an escape artist and would regularily run through the fence, get shocked but then run back through when she was finished roaming the area so we wouldnt know she had been out!!! It taught all of them to run at the fence but no-one else would come back through. Also part of the training recommended is to pull the dog into the shock zone so they can hear the warning beep and then feel the shock - not at all pleasant for anyone, the dogs screamed. We found that we were constantly repairing the wire too.

In the end we cut off two thirds of the garden and fenced that, and are gradually fencing the rest as we get a bit of money together. Much happier without the electric fence

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I can't understand this, if a dog is properly trained then it will not wander or leave the garden perimeter. A properly trained dog will know it's place in the 'pack' and behave accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry, but if a dog is not confined properly, no matter how trained it is it will wander off if its not kept in.

Dogs are animals and some are bred for hunting, working etc so if they get a scent or so on will just head off if theres nothing there to stop them.

Its also a lot safer for both your dog and the general public to have a dog safely enclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I completely agree, my dogs are well trained dogs - they compete in obedience and agility, they The one who is an escape artist came from the streets, vet figured she had wandered the streets from 2 months until 9 months of age until I took her so being able to get out was an instinctive part of her upbringing on the streets.

High fencing is the only fool-proof and safe way to contain dogs, particularily clever dogs that can problem solve, medicman2009 maybe you're lucky you have dumb dogs that don't bother thinking for themselves.

Advertisement