Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - Tv Licence

Options
  • 23-11-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I just needed a little advise regarding Tv licencing;

About 4 weeks ago a TV licence inspector showed up at my door, he asked me if I had a TV and I said yes. He informed me that I would need to pay for a licence or face prosecution. I'm a student from Norway and I told him that I was unaware. I got rid of the TV the next day. About 4 Days ago I recieved a letter from An Post again saying that i'll need to pay for the licence or face prosecution. But I do not own a TV. Do I still have to pay for the licence?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you have no "television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means)" you would be ok.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

There's a form you need to send them that specificies you don't have a TV. I don't know exactly where you get one of them though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Yeah, they just assume you have a TV unless otherwise stated.

This is the number you need to ring:

01 7058800

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

However, at one point you had a TV and admitted it to them. You could still be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

those guys in the ads are actually real?!! lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 pourie89

Victor wrote: »
    However, at one point you had a TV and admitted it to them. You could still be prosecuted.

but he hasnt ever come in or seen the television set. and i told him that it belonged to another roommate. who has since left the accomodation. is there any way i could get out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ring them up, say that it was a house guest that answered the door and that they lied. State you have no TV and permit them to come around and check if so required.

Lie. Lie your little Norwegian pants off and you should be fine. :)

I love Norwegians. God Bless those gorgeous blond girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ring them up, say that it was a house guest that answered the door and that they lied. State you have no TV and permit them to come around and check if so required.

Lie. Lie your little Norwegian pants off and you should be fine. :)
    This strategy has major pitfalls. Why would a house guest lie about such a thing?

Victor wrote: »
    This strategy has major pitfalls. Why would a house guest lie about such a thing?

She was Norwegian and didn't understand the question :D

Davy wrote: »
    She was Norwegian and didn't understand the question :D

It must have been that tank top she was wearing, and it was ever such a cold day.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence.

So if you watch television on your laptop or computer, do you require a license?

sagat wrote: »
    So if you watch television on your laptop or computer, do you require a license?

Not yet.

sagat wrote: »
    You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal.

Leaves it a bit of a grey area, but last i heard they wouldn't be enforcing the phones or computers yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

pourie89 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just needed a little advise regarding Tv licencing;

About 4 weeks ago a TV licence inspector showed up at my door, he asked me if I had a TV and I said yes. He informed me that I would need to pay for a licence or face prosecution. I'm a student from Norway and I told him that I was unaware. I got rid of the TV the next day. About 4 Days ago I recieved a letter from An Post again saying that i'll need to pay for the licence or face prosecution. But I do not own a TV. Do I still have to pay for the licence?

Thanks

in most countries, proabably including Norway, you need a TV and radio licence. the latter is not necessary here. I do not believe the poor innocent foreigner line will work here. when we go to your country we have to obey the rules.
    you said you had a tv so pay the 160 euro you owe. you can be pursued in your home country for fines incurred here. i do think they will believe that you no longer have a tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

pourie89 wrote: »
    I'm a student from Norway and I told him that I was unaware. I got rid of the TV the next day. But I do not own a TV. Do I still have to pay for the licence?

Thanks

Are you off one of those ads? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

If you no longer have the TV or any equipment capable of receiving and decoding TV signal then you dont need to buy the licence. If you did admit to owning one, but now dont have one, invite them to check your home if they like to confirm that you no longer have a TV. You dont owe them anything.

You can watch TV online without a license as long as you are not using a TV card to decode TV signal otherwise youre fine. If you really really want you can use the RTE player.

I dont see how they are going to be able to enforce people watching TV over the net without your ISP providing them with info on your internet browsing. Anyway that would surely violate some sort of privacy laws........ oh wait, TV licence people demanding access to your home otherwise they will just 'assume' you have a TV doesnt violate some sort of privacy law?

Advertisement