Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new farm shop

Options
  • 23-11-2009 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Earlier I stopped at a New Farm shop just beside Murtaghs pub on the old N1 at Ballough. A big bag of spuds for a fiver.Must be one of the Harford lads running it.
    Will gladly spend my cash there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

What else have they got in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Usual local produce, carrots, turnips, spuds, ( washed and unwashed same price) cabbages, onions, parsnips,scallions plus imported fruit. Mandarins oranges particularly nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

AFAIK ALL produce is locally grown/sourced. I will find out. Great to see it considering the hell major supermarket chains are putting growers/suppliers thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

bcmf wrote: »
    Earlier I stopped at a New Farm shop just beside Murtaghs pub on the old N1 at Ballough. A big bag of spuds for a fiver.Must be one of the Harford lads running it.
    Will gladly spend my cash there.

When you say big bag of spuds do you mean 10kg? I sell excellent Roosters and Golden Wonders at €5 a 10kg bag from my house in Gormanston. The Golden Wonders are particularly good if you like floury potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Qprmeath wrote: »
    When you say big bag of spuds do you mean 10kg? I sell excellent Roosters and Golden Wonders at €5 a 10kg bag from my house in Gormanston. The Golden Wonders are particularly good if you like floury potatoes.

I'm assuming it's your own produce, if so can you pm me your location details please? Thanks a mill.

• Advertisement

yeah but Gormanston is in MEATH. off with ya ;)

bcmf wrote: »
    yeah but Gormanston is in MEATH. off with ya ;)

All potatoes are grown in County Dublin. Tobersool/Balscadden to be precise.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Drove by Lusk car park (the one opposite Murrays pub) at the junction and someone was selling 10kg roosters for €3.99 plus a free bag of apples.

Don't know anything more, didn't stop didn't hear anything more about it. Just putting it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Octopus wrote: »
    Drove by Lusk car park (the one opposite Murrays pub) at the junction and someone was selling 10kg roosters for €3.99 plus a free bag of apples.

Jesus. That's savage value.

Khannie wrote: »
    Jesus. That's savage value.

A quick point on this not relating to the Lusk shop but Super Valu in Balbriggan are selling Queens at €2.99 for 10kg. Great value you say. But I have grown spuds for over 20 years and on close inspection of these spuds it is obvious they are not Queens. They are probably a large cropping variety grown for the early market which did not sell in the early summer and now some clever farmer is getting rid of them on a special offer. They are probably inedible. If I had a euro for every person who tells me they cant get nice Queens I could give up farming! Queens are always nice if they are actually genuine Queens.

• Advertisement

A quick point on this not relating to the Lusk shop but Super Valu in Balbriggan are selling Queens at €2.99 for 10kg. Great value you say. But I have grown spuds for over 20 years and on close inspection of these spuds it is obvious they are not Queens. They are probably a large cropping variety grown for the early market which did not sell in the early summer and now some clever farmer is getting rid of them on a special offer. They are probably inedible. If I had a euro for every person who tells me they cant get nice Queens I could give up farming! Queens are always nice if they are actually genuine Queens.

Definitely not a Queen spud in Super Valu. The bag only lasted a week before they started to rot and they were kept in a cool, dry place & in brown paper.

Ye might think Im mad but Im tempted to say it to them as offers like this are ruining the business for the genuine growers. Anyone who buys these will noy but a bag of Queens for a long time. The Department used to have officers going round checking for this type of thing but since the one covering our area retired he hasnt been replaced.

Not really though Qpr because I kicked myself for falling for the offer (last month) and since then haven't bought a bag of spuds from any supermarket. I normally get them at the farmer's market or my OH gets them from a farmer near Belgee.

I'd send SV a thank you card if I were you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Where are you exactly? I'd murder a bag of golden wonders :)

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Just back to the original. The farm shop at Ballough is run by Colin Harford.I know fron reading QPR's posts I will buy as much from local suppliers as possible.

Advertisement