Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will HMV refund me cash for a faulty product bought with a voucher?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I won a contest in school and I won a 50 euro voucher for HMV. I bought the sims3, which keeps crashing even though I have a very powerful computer which has run programs much bigger than The Sims 3, so I'm returning it. I don't want a credit note in return because I don't want anything else in the shop. I know the law in Ireland is that if a product is faulty you are entitled to choose between refund repair or replacement, but does the same rule apply if I bought it with a voucher?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

elaine93 wrote: »
    I won a contest in school and I won a 50 euro voucher for HMV. I bought the sims3, which keeps crashing even though I have a very powerful computer which has run programs much bigger than The Sims 3, so I'm returning it. I don't want a credit note in return because I don't want anything else in the shop. I know the law in Ireland is that if a product is faulty you are entitled to choose between refund repair or replacement, but does the same rule apply if I bought it with a voucher?

thanks!

The store gets to choose if its a refund, repair or replacement the first time you bring an item back not you. The norm is credit note when vouchers are concerned. Its also far more likely the game is fine and the problem is with your computer and you can bet HMV will take that stance as there would be a huge outcry if a huge title like Sims 3 was that buggy which there hasnt been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

its an intel core2 quad CPU, 2046mb ram (2gb it says both?). My dad is a computer programmer in C++ and he uses his programs which are huge on this computer and it works fine. Its vista, only a year old, it meets all the specifications on the back of the box. Its not the computer. I've asked loads of my friends who all report the same problem and I've downloaded all the updates and patches. I don't know how to find the graphics card but it says 32 bit if that means anything. Also Ea issued a statement about 'issues' in the game here
    http://asilee.com/2009/06/05/the-sims-3-a-note-from-ea-possible-tips-about-issues-with-the-game/

The fact they had to write this shows lots of people are having problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

its a quad processor, 2046mb ram (2gb it says both?). My dad is a computer programmer in C++ and he uses his programs which are huge on this computer and it works fine. Its vista, only a year old, it meets all the specifications on the back of the box. Its not the computer. I've asked loads of my friends who all report the same problem and I've downloaded all the updates and patches.

C++ will not be nearly as GPU (graphic card) hungry as a game like the Sims so just because your Dads stuff runs ok dosent mean other programs will. What graphics card are you using? Make sure you have latest GFX drivers and version of DirectX.

Does Nvidia GeForce 8000 mean anything to you? Is that a graphics card?
    I have the latest directX definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

go start -> run and type dxdiag

click the display tab and tell us what it says under name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

your graphics card is too weak to play this game. the minimum requirements are on the back of the game box.

HMV in this situation have no reason to refund anything as there is no fault with the game, but you bought the game without making sure it would work first.

go in a see if they do anything, but for most PC games, returns are only on if its still sealed and the registration code still active.

EDIT: googling your graphics card shows different specs. are you sure its a 8000? i can only find 8800 which would be suitable for gaming

Antigone05 wrote: »
    your graphics card is too weak to play this game. the minimum requirements are on the back of the game box.

HMV in this situation have no reason to refund anything as there is no fault with the game, but you bought the game without making sure it would work first.

go in a see if they do anything, but for most PC games, returns are only on if its still sealed and the registration code still active.

EDIT: googling your graphics card shows different specs. are you sure its a 8000? i can only find 8800 which would be suitable for gaming

sorry you're right, looking at it again its 8800, I read it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

What you could try is go to www.canirunit.com on the PC and select The Sims 3.
    If, after you run the test, it says that your PC does fulfill the minimum specifications then you can take the game back, explain that and get either a refund or replacement.

Its very doubtful that the shop will give you anything except vouchers back.

If on the other hand your PC fails to met the minimum specifications then you wouldn't be entitled to anything from the shop as that part is your own responsibility.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The combination of Vista and 2GB of ram alone screams "Will not work" to me; Vista is a huge memory hog performance drain in it self and throw on a new game on top of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

exactly.. Mine uses about 1.5GB of ram, with only a few small applications running..

Well OP.. you'll be lucky to get anything..

• Advertisement

Anyway, to answer the question, OP, refunds are expected to be made in the same format in which the goods were paid for.

ie; if you used a €20 note and a €30 voucher to make up the €50, then you'd get a €20 note and a €30 voucher off them as a refund.

Check your receipt, it depends what it says on there. If there's any use of the word voucher then you're not gonna get anywhere, unless you ask them to break the voucher down to to two €20's and a €10, and wallah, three Christmas presents out of the way.

At least that's how they operated when I dealt with them a year or so ago (i was working in a Dunnes at the time, and they had the same policy, too, so i'd imagine a lot of the bigger stores use similar).

Also, if you complain about the game not working, I really, really doubt they're gonna ask you about the specs of your PC. I don't think they'll care enough, but that also depends how long ago you bought it (ie; is it less than 28 days old?)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

thanks!

Nope, the refund must be given in the same way the product was bought, thats if they even return it at all as theres nothing wrong with it. Besides, its HMV, surely theres SOMETHING you could get instead? a dvd boxset, xmas presents for people? it didnt cost you anything to begin with so you're coming out on top regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seems Sims3 needs "128 MB video card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0", and has the 8800 in the list.

Now for the fun part. Regarding the PC game, they'll ask you did it install. If it did, then the disc is not faulty, and your machine is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I don't think you will get anywhere on this.

PC games normally take about 6 months before they are stable on the majority of platforms. It's the nature of PCs and multiple configurations. It is impossible for any PC games developer to test on every single combination of hardware/software.

You may well have some antivirus program running that is causing the issue.

If you wanted stable game play without issues like this you should have put the voucher towards buying a games console :) The max you are liklely to get is a credit note. Sell your game on ebay then you can get some cash.

X

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Venom wrote: »
    The store gets to choose if its a refund, repair or replacement the first time you bring an item back not you. The norm is credit note when vouchers are concerned. Its also far more likely the game is fine and the problem is with your computer and you can bet HMV will take that stance as there would be a huge outcry if a huge title like Sims 3 was that buggy which there hasnt been.

Just to be slightly pedantic - the store can choose what to offer a customer who is complaining about a defect / issue with a purchase. The customer can refuse the offer and take their complaint further ie the small claims court. That said if the retailer has offered one of the three R's in response then the small claims court will normally judge that the retailer has acted appropriately.

All the above assumes a legitimate fault / complaint is made. :)

Advertisement