Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Months notice

Options
  • 23-11-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I gave written notice to my landlord today. I was on a 6 month lease with an option to extend it month by month which I did (now in 8th month). My rent is paid monthly on or before the 31st day of each month.

My question is, today being the 23rd of November, does my 30 day notice start from today or am I liable for the whole of Septembers rent as well ? Its not clear on my lease and I've read elsewhere of people being liable for the following full months rent as well. It's not a big deal but was just wondering.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As you have been in residence for over 6 months- your notice period is actually 35 days. You must give notice properly in writing stating when you propose to vacate the property.

Normally notice to quit is from the date of the letter of notice- unless otherwise specified. I would dig out your original lease- simple elapse of the lease, does not mean its terms are not still in force.

S.

Advertisement