Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will it snow this Christmas 2009?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looks like the chance of a white christmas are long gone
    :(:(:(:(

MET EIREANN OUTLOOKS
    This freezing spell will continue up to Christmas Day then it looks like turning considerably milder.
    Tuesday night will be calm and clear. Air temperatures will fall to between -1 and -5 degrees and some freezing fog patches may develop. Overall hazardous conditions for travelling countrywide. Wednesday: Daytime temperatures generally staying below freezing with frost and freezing fog persisting through the day and snow lying. Air temperatures Wednesday night may fall as low as -5 to -9 degrees. With calm conditions prevailing freezing fog is a continued hazard as well as widespread icing. Thursday (Christmas Eve): Calm, freezing conditions prevailing and possibly freezing fog persisting through the day. Friday (Christmas Day): Current indications are that the present Arctic airmass over Ireland will be replaced by a more normal Atlantic airmass during Christmas Day bringing a rapid thaw and some outbreaks of rain in a freshening southwesterly wind. Saturday (St Stephen's Day): Mostly likely to be mild and cloudy with some outbreaks of rain. And a possibility of heavy rain over parts of Munster and south Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah but I said that earlier than the rest of you cold weather loosers! :p

It looks like it is still on
    Met eireann have changed their forecast a bit for Christmas day ;)

Some sunny spells, but a few scattered wintry showers also. Friday (Christmas Day): A cold, frosty start, but rain will spread from the Atlantic as the day progresses, possibly falling as sleet or snow in western and northern areas for a time. It will stay on the mild side then for St Stephen's Day,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pangea wrote: »
    It looks like it is still on
    Met eireann have changed their forecast a bit for Christmas day ;)

Some sunny spells, but a few scattered wintry showers also. Friday (Christmas Day): A cold, frosty start, but rain will spread from the Atlantic as the day progresses, possibly falling as sleet or snow in western and northern areas for a time. It will stay on the mild side then for St Stephen's Day,

IF, and its a big IF, the cold front can surpress a little more than anticipated, some of us could have a nice white christmas indeed. at least for half the day anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

This chart shows Rain for Wednesday for the South East, but no mention of it on the Weather after the 6-1 news. Anyone know how reliable this chart is?

prec_nordeuro-39.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I can accept that we may not get snow in time for christmas, but can someone please give me a westmeath man some hope for snow this winter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

200motels wrote: »
    This chart shows Rain for Wednesday for the South East, but no mention of it on the Weather after the 6-1 news. Anyone know how reliable this chart is?

prec_nordeuro-39.gif

It was mentioned by Met Eireann on the 5:55pm radio 1 broadcast. Wintry precipitation possible with sleet and snow for some southern areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Min wrote: »
    It was mentioned by Met Eireann on the 5:55pm radio 1 broadcast. Wintry precipitation possible with sleet and snow for some southern areas.

It looks like we'll have rain, but as it pushes in land it will turn to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

200motels wrote: »
    It looks like we'll have rain, but as it pushes in land it will turn to snow.

i still think it's more likely the snow will be confined to the north and north west where the cold has dug in. also, those locations should be favoured if the wind is coming from the south east. will it be?

Well the weather forecast just said there will be a white christmas for some ,where do the experts think it will snow on christmas morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

I'm no expert, but I'm told by one that this has the potential to dump a large load on us friday morning - two depressions either side of us - moist warm air coming in from the southwest and cold dry air moving in from the east. Warm air rises, rain falls and freezes on the way down. AKA snow.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=99832&stc=1&d=1261583411

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it looks like the north will pangea, but unfortunately you could be too close to the sea. the guy posting from tyrone and of course the guy, who lives up a mountain in donegal, will definitely see some snow.

octo wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I'm told by one that this has the potential to dump a large load on us friday morning - two depressions either side of us - moist warm air coming in from the southwest and cold dry air moving in from the east. Warm air rises, rain falls and freezes on the way down. AKA snow.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=99832&stc=1&d=1261583411
    Going on the experience here in the southeast so far on the current system warm air is droping...not rising :pac:

I have my doubts on snow Xmas morning outside of central Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Will it snow for Christmas 2009?

No it will be milder and wet with some sleet at first Ulster.

THE END :P

Happy Xmas to you all

it looks like the north will pangea, but unfortunately you could be too close to the sea. the guy posting from tyrone and of course the guy, who lives up a mountain in donegal, will definitely see some snow.
    Nuts! Ah well i might be suprised yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I asked the wife would it snow on Christmas day and she said no ..just raindeer ! :)

Just travelled Cavan to Dublin ! Snow lying in Cavan with freezing fog up until I got near Kells ! -5.5C in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

dak wrote: »
    I asked the wife would it snow on Christmas day and she said no ..just raindeer ! :)

.excellent!!!!!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

dak wrote: »

....christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest met.ie forecast for tomorrow, Christmas Day 2009:

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Christmas Day, will start cold, dry and very frosty, with ice and fog. Rain will reach the west and southwest during the morning and spread to the rest of the country during the afternoon and evening - the rain will be preceded in places by a period of sleet or snow - this most likely over north Connacht, Ulster and possibly parts of north Leinster. After a very cold, frosty start, temperatures will rise slowly, and will eventually reach between 2 and 7 degrees by evening.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Northern half of the country looks favoured. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

hiccup... well happy snowed in belfast 87 euro on the nose 200 back hiccup:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement